Do you really need eight glasses of water a day?

Options
adamitri
adamitri Posts: 614 Member
Hello all! I'm semi new to MFP but I'm loving it so far. I'm really trying to keep doing my best but I've hit a snag. I'm trying to do the 8 cups of water a day and I'm starting to feel queasy... my body is retaining most of the water I'm putting in and I'm kind of forcing it down. I've only been trying this for about a week so far. Normally I drink about four to six cups of water a day. Do you really need 8 glasses a day?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Eight a day is just a guideline, and the need really varies from person to person. In summer and on really active days when I'm sweating a lot, I easily drink 10 or more cups a day. In the cooler winter months or on an inactive day, I may only drink 7.

I go by pee color. :tongue: If you're urine is clear or light yellow, you're fine and could probably back off the water. Dark yellow and you need to hydrate a bit more.

Here's a handy-dandy chart, which I think may be too big for the page, but you can open it in a new browser/tab to see the whole thing.
    hydration-color.png
  • adamitri
    Options
    Thank you, I was really pushing myself to force it down, to the point where my pee turned almost clear. I'm relieved, again thank you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It's not a rule, it's just a good general guideline that is going to keep most people hydrated...being hydrated is what is important (where your pee is pretty much clear)

8, 8 oz glasses of water really isn't much at all though...I drink at least twice that (gallon) easily. But I'm very active and I also live at substantial elevation in the desert.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I was really pushing myself to force it down, to the point where my pee turned almost clear. I'm relieved, again thank you.

pee turned almost clear...I'm relieved...

I saw what you did there :laugh:

Sorry, warped sense of humor this morning...
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Nope. But I swear it really does wonders for my skin to drink that much, but only if I don't force myself to. I don't like walking around with a sloshy belly.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]29509743.png[/url]

I drink 2-3 gallons everyday. I am sure it helped contribute to my weigh loss.
  • gelendestrasse
    Options
    No, but if you mix it with whisky you won't miss the food!
  • yourpalsoap
    Options
    I drink 3-5L a day, depending on exercise and I live in a cold climate (UK). going by urine colour is an ok measure, but you should probably try to drink a bit more. for most people, 8 cups is the bare minimum. once you start drinking more you won't believe that you ever used to survive on 1-1.5L a day!
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    4-6 glasses per day is probably fine. 8 is really just a guideline, give or take a few glasses & it works for most people.

Something I've found that helps me drink more water without feeling like it's 'forced' is to have a LARGE bottle or glass, & to have it with me at all times throughout the day. If I have water with me all day while I'm doing work on the computer, I just get bored & drink it because it's there. I currently use a 32oz tumbler with a lid & straw. Drinking two or so of those [which equals 8 8oz glasses] everyday doesn't seem nearly as hard as drinking a bunch of smaller glasses. Plus, I'm lazy, & the fewer times I have to fill my cup & refill my Brita pitcher, the better for everyone.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,515 Member
    Options
    Drink what works for you. Me, I tend to drink at least 12cups+ per day and have no real difficulty with it. Today I've already had 9 and I've been up 6ish hours. Ummmm, water.

Of course, it's hot here and I tend to retain water, so yeah....
  • bohoT
    bohoT Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Infusing water really helped me. I just put a few slices of some fruit in there and it was much more appealing. I sip it constantly as opposed to drinking a lot at once.
    When I first started making the effort to drink more water I did feel like my belly was sloshing before I hit the 8 glasses, but now I easily drink 8 glasses before I leave work for the afternoon. It might just be another thing you have to get used to.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    No, I need more like 20+ excluding what I drink at the gym (assuming 1 cup = 8oz)

If I don't drink lots of water I get dehydrated easily.

I recommend that you try slowing down how much you drink, that could be contributing to your queasiness. If I drink too fast it also bothers my stomach, unless i'm so dehydrated that I gulp it down without meaning to lol.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    No, but if you mix it with whisky you won't miss the food!

Yeah I wish. Alcohol munchies are beastly! Maybe I tried the wrong whiskey? Or maybe I was supposed to drink enough fast enough to pass out before the munchies hit?
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Are you sure that you are going by 8oz servings rather than a full glass? One regular sized glass holds more than 8oz.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to do the 8 cups of water a day and I'm starting to feel queasy... my body is retaining most of the water I'm putting in and I'm kind of forcing it down.

<snip.

Normally I drink about four to six cups of water a day. Do you really need 8 glasses a day?

NO, you don't need 8 glasses of water a day, especially if you have to force it down. Eight glasses is an arbitrary number, with no science to back it up. Four to six glasses is plenty. Drink to thirst.

A 17-year-old high school football player in our area died yesterday from an electrolyte imbalance, after falling ill during last Friday night's football game. They haven't said whether he drank too much plain water in too short a time, or didn't take in enough salt during the previous day or two, or if it was just a freak thing--but his sodium dropped too low. He was a well-conditioned athlete.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    You also get hydration from food, especially fruit.
  • adamitri
    Options
    Are you sure that you are going by 8oz servings rather than a full glass? One regular sized glass holds more than 8oz.

Yes, I have a measured water bottle from some healthcare fair that has oz and ml on it. So if I drink a whole bottle it equals 3 cups of water.
  • adamitri
    Options
    You also get hydration from food, especially fruit.

I eat a lot of fruit, it's my go to for snacking.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    If you urine is straw colored you're fine regardless of how many glasses of water you drink. There's little to no scientific evidence that confirms that drinking eight glasses of water has any health benefits. There is SOME evidence that drinking that much water might reduce the risk of kidney stones but that's about it.

Your body has been shaped by hundreds of millions of years natural selection to include this amazing adaptation called "thirst" that tells you when you need a drink. Listen to it and you'll be fine.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    BTW, coffee and tea count toward hydration. It's a myth that caffeine is a diuretic. Several recent studies have confirmed this. Like this one:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0084154