First 5k! Color run! Tips?

Options
lilawolf
lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
Hey all. I finally got my 5k time on the street down under 30 minutes (and no walking). I know it's still slow/novice, but it's good enough to go out and have some fun with a color run. There is one on my birthday called Run or Dye here in a couple weeks that I'm doing. It's quite a ways from my house (~40 minutes), and I have several people meeting me there.

Can you get the colored corn starch off enough to go to a restaurant after? Or is a shower indispensable?

Do I need big geeky sunglasses to protect my eyes?

Does the color look better on black or white?

Any other tips/ tricks/ funny stories/ funny pics/ ideas/ thoughts? Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Yes, get some wet wipes to get the majority of it off. That, plus washing in the bathroom sink at the restaurant, is exactly what we did. Still had color on us, but fine enough to go eat at a local brunch place.

I would, yes. Close your eyes and mouth as you go through.

White, or course!

Bring a towel to sit on afterwards on the drive back. Even with a change of clothes and wet wipes, you will still have color on you.

ETA: There will be a LOT of walkers. Getting there early and getting towards the front helps if you want to run the whole way.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Yes, get some wet wipes to get the majority of it off. That, plus washing in the bathroom sink at the restaurant, is exactly what we did. Still had color on us, but fine enough to go eat at a local brunch place.

I would, yes. Close your eyes and mouth as you go through.

White, or course!

Bring a towel to sit on afterwards on the drive back. Even with a change of clothes and wet wipes, you will still have color on you.

ETA: There will be a LOT of walkers. Getting there early and getting towards the front helps if you want to run the whole way.

All of this! It's a lot of fun. I didn't close my eyes, but I did bring a cheap pair of sunglasses to protect my eyes.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    all of the above,

and if you get some in your mouth it honestly tastes like flour. for the staining, be aware it will get everywhere, including your undies, bra and or cellphone/camera you may be carrying.

if you want to bring your cell, put it in a ziplock bag before the race.
  • Xenophonica
    Xenophonica Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    In my experience, you will most certainly need a shower. In fact, I had the color leak through my shirt and stain my skin. After some thorough scrubbing, I got it off of my face, neck, arms, and legs, but my back (which I cannot reach) was a strange purple stain for almost a week. I'd suggest planning at least an hour in between race end and restaurant to give yourself time to scrub!

Sunglasses aren't necessary but certainly helpful. The Color Run 5K I did provided some sunglasses. Keep your mouth closed while running! It doesn't necessarily taste bad but it will stain your teeth and tongue!

Definitely white clothing.

Just have fun! I've only done one but I loved it and am hoping to do another soon.
  • Xenophonica
    Xenophonica Posts: 79 Member
    Options

if you want to bring your cell, put it in a ziplock bag before the race.

^^^ THIS
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    - Don't expect to be able to run it all - there will be tons of walkers there, and it will be crowded.

- Sunscreen!!

- if you have any breathing issues or sinus issues, bring a handkerchief to put over your nose/mouth when you go through the colour stations.

- you can get clean enough with wipes to go to a fast food restaurant. You will need a shower if you're going to a nice place.

but most importantly:

HAVE FUN!! It really is a fun event
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses! The bra tip is great since I didn't think about it and would hate to stain one of my good ones. The phone tip was good too, but I already had that planned :-p Maybe all of us could go to a food cart or something after that way we can eat great (portland has an amazing food cart scene) without staining something in a restaurant.

I didn't realize that I wouldn't be able to run it. I thought they staged you by time, and you grouped my your pole/sign whatever: 20 minute, 25 minute, 30 minute, 35 minute, walkers. No?

I need to check out what comes with my packet. I think it just said a bandana, no shirt or sunglasses.

I'm so excited! I think that it will be a great way to start my birthday and help burn off some drinks/cake/whatever.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize that I wouldn't be able to run it. I thought they staged you by time, and you grouped my your pole/sign whatever: 20 minute, 25 minute, 30 minute, 35 minute, walkers. No?
    I wish, but no. A free for all in the line up. I have been able to run all of mine, but I got there early to get into one of the first groups. They will release waves based on size.

Two of the color runs I did I was in the 2nd or 3rd wave, and I was able to run although I did have to get a bit rude to get by people who think it's okay to walk side by side and block the whole course, even though they announced for walkers to keep right.

In the other one I did, I was towards the back of the first wave. Once I zig zagged past everyone, I was basically on my own for the entire course. Because of this and the fact all the volunteers were fresh with a full supply of dye, I got COVERED on that one.

Even with sunglasses, I would still close my eyes. It got past mine.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Do not breathe in the powder.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Do not breathe in the powder.

or snort it
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    seriously though, yeah, you will need a shower and a change of clothes.
    but you can always go out looking like a rainbow and accept it as a badge of honor
  • Kristinepage222
    Kristinepage222 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This is very helpful! I know it's an old post, but I'm doing the Run or Dye in a couple of weeks and it will be my first 5k! :)
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Definitely wear white. I did Color Me Rad about 2 months ago, we went out to eat after. I just threw on the tshirt that they gave us in the race packet, over the tank top I wore for the run. I toweled off my shorts and legs before I got in the car. I didn't have any problems with staining. They also gave us sunglasses to wear. If you aren't provided sunglasses, I'd definitely buy a cheap plastic pair, bright colors of course. We didn't carry any electronics, just gave them all to my husband who was there but wasn't running it!