Is this setup right?

Options
So i am 172cm tall, 73kg.

I want to gain lean muscle mass. Working out weight lifting intensely 4 times a week.

I have one day workout, then one day break, then one day workingout.

I also do 15 minutes of jogging a day ^^

I have calculated that i need

2850kcal.

214gram protein
356gram Carbs
65Gram Fats

This isent counting veggies.. They are on top of that

Is this enough to gain lean musclemass?

I was thinking about eating 600grams of chicken each day for 1-3 months.. I am used to eating like 1000kcal a day.. So i need drastic measures to increase my appetite...

Also i might eat some beef or fish etc 1-2 times a week. just need to stay with chicken because its healthy and quick to perpare and tastes good with someherbs.

Is it bad to eat 600grams chicken everyday?

Replies

• Icewind62
    Icewind62 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sounds like ur on top of it..I can send u the max's muscle challenge program..Up to u
  • drepublic
    drepublic Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You would do well to vary your protein sources. Maybe consider adding egg whites, ground turkey, salmon and talipia into your mix. Spread your calories across 6 meals spaced 3 hours apart and get equal proten, carbs, and fats each meal. You can start off with more cardio to get your fat levels in check then maybe back off as your metabolism increases with increased muscle mass.

Good lucky buddy.

Robert
  • forgiven16
    forgiven16 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    214 g of protein? How much do you weigh? 1g/lb of p bw is more than enough. You can put the excess cals into carbs instead.
  • ShinjiruGhetto
    Options
    214 g of protein? How much do you weigh? 1g/lb of p bw is more than enough. You can put the excess cals into carbs instead.
    1g/lb is not "more than enough"
    In fact, that is absolute minimum
    When you're bulking your protein intake should be 1.5-2g/lb
  • W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member
    Options

Here is some copy pasta to counter this 1g/per lean pound myth:
    This is pretty definitive, 1gr/lean body mass is a myth........

Studies on Optimal Protein Intake
    All values in the bullet point list below are expressed as grams of protein per pound of body weight per day. All of these studies controlled for energy intake, either based on individual requirements or by setting energy intake to be equal in all experimental conditions, so that only the proportion of protein in the diet varied between groups. If the studies were based on unreliable methods such as nitrogen balance, a marker of lean body mass changes, I only included them if they controlled for sweating and dietary adaptation periods.

• Tarnopolsky et al. (1992) observed no differences in whole body protein synthesis or indexes of lean body mass in strength athletes consuming either 0.64g/lb or 1.10g/lb over a 2 week period. Protein oxidation did increase in the high protein group, indicating a nutrient overload.
    • Walberg et al. (1988) found that 0.73g/lb was sufficient to maintain positive nitrogen balance in cutting weightlifters over a 7 day time period.
    • Tarnopolsky et al. (1988) found that only 0.37g/lb was required to maintain positive nitrogen balance in elite bodybuilders (over 5 years of experience, possible previous use of androgens) over a 10 day period. 0.45g/lb was sufficient to maintain lean body mass in bodybuilders over a 2 week period. The authors suggested that 0.55g/lb was sufficient for bodybuilders.
    • Lemon et al. (1992) found no differences in muscle mass or strength gains in novice bodybuilders consuming either 0.61g/lb or 1.19g/lb over a 4 week period. Based on nitrogen balance data, the authors recommended 0.75g/lb.
    • Hoffman et al. (2006) found no differences in body composition, strength or resting hormonal concentrations in strength athletes consuming either 0.77g/lb or >0.91g/lb over a 3 month period.

Now, there are some old studies based on nitrogen balance that suggest higher protein intakes are beneficial, but, as I stated above, these studies were methodological abominations. Nitrogen balance is a notoriously unreliable method to assess changes in lean body mass, especially at higher amounts, and these studies didn’t control for sweating or dietary adaptation. Significant changes in dietary protein intake are known to result in negative nitrogen balance for up to 2 weeks after the change, even when sufficient energy and protein is consumed. Furthermore, these studies didn’t exclude androgenic-anabolic steroid users though they studied competitive athletes. (Tarnopolsky et al., 1988).It’s no wonder many of these studies didn’t get translated and remain no more than a shady abstract on PubMed, if they’re even featured on there.

Based on the sound research, many review papers have concluded 0.82g/lb is the upper limit at which protein intake benefits body composition (Phillips & Van Loon, 2011). This recommendation often includes a double 95% confidence level, meaning they took the highest mean intake at which benefits were still observed and then added two standard deviations to that level to make absolutely sure all possible benefits from additional protein intake are utilized. As such, this is already overdoing it and consuming 1g/lb ‘to be safe’ doesn’t make any sense. 0.82g/lb is already very safe.

But, But, But…!
    If you still think you need more than 0.82g/lb because you think you train harder than these test subjects, think again. Lemon et al. (1992) studied bodybuilders training 1.5h per day, 6 days per week and still concluded 0.75g/lb is the highest intake at which body composition benefits could occur.

Another frequently heard objection is that people need more protein because they are more experienced than the studied populations. Well, Tarnopolsky et al. (1988) used elite bodybuilders and found that less protein was needed than in novice bodybuilders. In fact, the finding that the more experienced you are, the less protein you need, has been replicated in several studies (Rennie & Tipton, 2000; Hartman, Moore & Phillips, 2006; Moore et al., 2007). In everyone there is both constant protein synthesis and breakdown. Resistance training causes both breakdown and synthesis to increase, normally with a favorable balance towards synthesis. As you progress in your training, the body becomes more efficient at stopping the breakdown of protein resulting from training. Since less protein now needs to be replenished, this increase in nitrogen retention means less protein is subsequently needed for optimal growth.

Secondly, the more advanced you are, the less protein synthesis increases after training. As you become more muscular and you get closer to your genetic limit, less muscle is built after training. This is very intuitive. The slower you can build muscle, the less protein is needed for optimal growth. It wouldn’t make any sense if the body needed more protein to build less muscle, especially considering that the body becomes more efficient at metabolizing protein.

A final objection that is often heard is that these values may be true during bulking or maintenance periods, but cutting requires more protein to maintain muscle mass. Walberg et al. (1988) studied cutting weightlifters and they still found 0.73g/lb was sufficient to maintain lean body mass. There are those other, often poorly controlled, nitrogen balance studies again though that suggest more protein is required to maintain nitrogen balance when energy is restricted. However, these changes in requirements for nitrogen balance do not correlate with whole body protein turnover rates; moreover, cutting at a daily 1000 calorie deficit when eating 1.8g/kg (0.82g/lb) protein has been shown not to affect nitrogen balance or whole body protein turnover (Pikosky et al. 2008). Therefore, you do not need more protein to preserve or gain muscle when cutting compared to when bulking, not even during periods of drastic energy shortage.

Also, the supposed difference in nitrogen sparing effects of carbs and fat are negligible (McCargar et al. 1989; Millward, 1989). Neither actually spares protein though. Only protein spares protein. I think the protein sparing idea came from a wrong interpretation of the nitrogen balance literature showing more lean mass is lost in more severe caloric deficits. A simple explanation for that finding is that the more total mass you lose, the more lean mass you lose. No surprises there.

As such, there is simply no empirically substantiated reason to think we need more than 0.82g/lb of protein per day when cutting. If anything, you could reason the body should be able to use more protein during bulking periods, because more muscle is being built and a lot of other nutrients are ingested that may enable more protein to be used.

The only people that may actually need more protein than 0.82g/lb are people with unusually high levels of anabolic hormones. Androgen or growth hormone users definitely fall into this category, but I don’t exclude the possibility that some adolescents do too. If you reach peak testosterone production while still growing (in height), your unusually high levels of growth hormone and testosterone might increase your protein requirements. Or not. There’s no research to support it. Those rare individuals with amazing bodybuilding genetics could also qualify, but unless your father happens to be a silverback gorilla, you are most likely just like other humans in this regard.

This article in 6 words: Consume 0.82g/lb of protein every day.
  • arfuss
    arfuss Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Here is some copy pasta to counter this 1g/per lean pound myth:

So 214 is enough each day?
  • W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    So 214 is enough each day?

Probably more than enough. But the calculation is for LEAN POUND. So basically what your body weight is without the excess fat. Take that many pounds and times by 0.82. I usually get about .90 just to be on the safe side.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Protein needs go DOWN when calories are in excess. In a calorie deficit your protein needs increase.

If anything, when you are in a calorie surplus (bulking) you can get away with less protein.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

I agree.

Not saying there's anything wrong with that amount of protein, if that's how you prefer to eat. But if you're finding it a struggle, you could easily give up some of that protein in favour of carbs and/or fat.