i feel disgusting i feel horrible

Options
I ate well all day, really low cal lunch, walking all around campus, i went running, then my mom brought home popeyes because there was nothing to cook.
I had 2 small pieces of chicen, 1 biscuit and a handful of popcorn shrimp.

I found out that each piece of popcorn shrimp has 280 calories, i ate about 10, so i ate 2800 just in popcorn shrimp. I feel disgusting, i want to get it out of me, I feel horrible and guilty. The thought of it makes me sick. just venting really, but dont know what to do.

Replies

• madmisskelly
    Options
    I ate well all day, really low cal lunch, walking all around campus, i went running, then my mom brought home popeyes because there was nothing to cook.

I found out that each piece of popcorn shrimp has 280 calories, i ate about 10, so i ate 2800 just in popcorn shrimp. I feel disgusting, i want to get it out of me, I feel horrible and guilty. The thought of it makes me sick. just venting really, but dont know what to do.
  • chilli
    chilli Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    We ALL make food mistakes .......just take it that you now know the nutritional values for it and can avoid it in the future! I had a treat of a take away curry the other weekend and nearly flipped when I saw how many cals and fat etc was in it :sad: but once in a while does no harm at all.
    Chin up and start again, :flowerforyou: do some extra exercise if you feel that bad, at least you will be doing something to combat the extra intake and are being positive about the situation :smile:
    Tomorrow is another day . . . . .
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options

ONE piece of shrimp has 280 calories??? Man! I used to put away those things like nobody's business! It's no wonder I'm so darned fat, lol!

Seriously, though...lighten up, honey. You can't undo what you've already done. It would be great if life came with one of those handy little "undo" buttons like we have on our Internet browsers. Unfortunately, it doesn't. All we can do is get up, dust ourselves off, and get back on the horse.

Please stop beating yourself up. It won't do ya any good. In the end, weight loss is about the total picture, not one little faux pas. Look at the quote in my signature. Everything will be alright. You'll see!

Hugs to you!
  • shivers
    shivers Posts: 53
    Options
    That feels so familiar. I'm completely disgusted with myself after a weekend of junk food. I was so focused, eating so healthily, but it was my birthday on Saturday and my few little treats turned into a binge of chocolate brownies, popcorn, ice-cream.... etc.etc.... I don't even want to think about it. I didn't put it into MFP yet. I just don't want to know!!!!! :frown: I'm absolutely sickened with myself. I went to put on my gym gear this morning and found a top I used to wear to work out last year.... I couldn't wear it cos of the newly acquired "love handles" on my sides... :frown: I hate feeling like this!!!! I just want my body back!!!!:sad:
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I realized fried shrimp is soooo bad, just three pieces are just over 200 calories.. wonder why popeyes so much more?? So yummy though. Think of it as your system shock day!! let it go and start fresh!! We all make mistakes.

I looked up the values and it is 280 per SVG. A serving is - 3oz, estimate probably 3-4 pieces... just a guess based off of other fried shrimp comparisons and their shrimp size count. Does that help? :flowerforyou:
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    280 calories per shrimp seemed like a lot so I looked it up. The information I keep getting is 280 per WHOLE SERVING, not per shrimp.

Popeye's Seafood-Popcorn Shrimp
    Serving Size 1 whl srv
    Amount per serving
    Calories 280 Calories from Fat 0
    Hide Daily Values % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 17g 26%
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 0mg 0%
    Total Carbohydrates 22g 7%
    Protein 0g
    Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 0% Iron 0%

I don't think you did as bad as think.
  • phoenix40v
    Options
    Two of the main goals of joining a site like this are self-awareness and educating. How would you know that ONE serving of "shrimp" was loaded with calories. Now you know, now you can make better choices. It also points out the hazards of eating out and especially fast food. So don't be so hard on yourself THIS time. I was really sad when I saw what you wrote.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that figure jumped out at me as WAY high! I'm glad others took time to look it up for you and found out it's PER SERVING not PER SHRIMP!

So, see, it wasn't that bad!

Plus, I've heard many say that every now and then you should give your body a "jolt" by eating some stuff like that just to keep it guessing--sooooo, figure it as that. You've jolted your body, now jump back up on the wagon and keep eating healthy!

OH, and please! Don't refer to yourself as "disgusting" My gosh! YOu look great now!

--and you say you only wish to lose 20 pounds. Have you tried some toning exercises/weight training to see if that helps. You might not need to lose as much as you think/wish to lose.

And, if you do something like that again (with the popeye's), just go for a walk or bike ride and work it of.
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    oh man popeyes is a killer i went to potluck and had one piece of chicken and when i logged it in i almost died, of course brats are worse found that out he hard way too. but hang in there :flowerforyou:
  • madmisskelly
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for setting me straight, I feel a lot better this morning, and Im going to do so much better today, go to the gym, eat better, and try to forget about yesterday. Hopefuly its like you all said, a shock to the system.

thanks again all you guys!!
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    A big thing about this site and "researching" your food a bit...is awareness.
    Most of us would pound down whatever food and not even consider calories.
    Now you know, so just remember that for later and move on.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    The whole point of being here is to learn and to handle food better. This is something many of us struggle with, but I'm finding it isn't helpful that we tie so much emotion or self worth around our food decisions. In fact that often seems to give us permission to continue to make poor choices. I honestly don't know why that is. When I get a credit card statement in the mail and realize that I was out of control this month I don't say, I'm worthless and don't deserve to be wealthy, so I'll just go spend more money and start again next month. I just say whoops, I'd better put on the brakes for a while and I do. I want to work toward getting that same relationship with food. I don't handle it perfectly, but I can balance things out and still acheive my goals.
  • chubzee
    chubzee Posts: 104
    Options

[/quote

i know exactly where you are coming from.....but don't beat yourself up about it You can't take back yesterday..live for today and remember everyone learns from their mistakes. keep your chin up .
    have a great day!
  • cquick
    cquick Posts: 220
    Options
    I have done the same, and I have felt the same, but my questions are: do you love yourself? do you think you are lovable? was it as good as you remember it tasted? doesn't that stuff make you feel like junk?

Whatever anyone says, you NEED to be hard on yourself when things like this happen. Yes, you are human and you make mistakes, but if you put horrible (yet tasty) things into your body you already know how you will feel afterward. Taking a day out of your week to eat over your regular daily allowance is OK, and when we put ourselves through this dayindayout exercising/calorie counting, it is worth it to indulgence. But make that ONE day of your week, schedule that day and STICK to it. You won't be sorry.

How much do you care for yourself, though? Do you love yourself? I think you want to, just like everyone else here. I used to weigh 80 more pounds than I do today just over a year and a half ago, and I hated myself. I saw a fat slob that didn't take care of myself when I looked in the mirror. I drank excessively, did drugs, binged and purged then binged more. The day I gave that all up was the day I started to love myself. Girl, we aren't all supposed to be size zero's on the cover of Vogue. That is life....

Loving yourself takes more than looking better....it's about feeling better about who you are, what you've accomplished, helping someone else in the process when they've gone through the same things you have. You are dying to love yourself...food has taught us for so long how to self-medicate, or comfort ourselves, through it's taste. Food can't love you back. It doesn't sit there begging you to eat it. That little deepfried shrimp was perfectly content swimmin in the ocean, I'm sure. So why try to love yourself with food? Love yourself by appreciating yourself, by being strong and a woman of your word and your committment to lose weight/be stronger/live longer/or whatever it is you are committed to. When you commit to loving yourself, you will be amazed at what you can do.

My suggestion to you, when mom brings that stuff home, grab a plate, take a shrimp or two, half a biscuit, and make those little morsels last as long as your mom's entire meal. Savor those little boogers, make every chew count. What does this do? It gives you that little taste without depriving yourself. It shows you that you are stronger than you think. It will prove to you that you are worth NOT putting tons of disgusting food into your body and that a TEENY TINY taste is all you really want...it's all you really desire...because eating an entire serving, an entire biscuit of that deepfried, processed, HFCS toting garbage is not as important as you, the love you have to give yourself, and the love you will show those around you when you find your lovable self.

Plus, you'll burn off a couple of shrimp and half a biscuit running around campus!

Anyhow, sorry bout the editorial...I hope your day goes better...you're much stronger than you think...

Cici:heart::heart: :heart:
  • laurs
    laurs Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It's all good.. now you know, right? I made the same mistake once with duck!
    sometimes it's quite surprising how much crap is in the stuff we eat. but eh, we learn from our mistakes and move on. keep persevering!

oh, and i'm realizing how much fat and cals are in chinese food.. how come asians are so skinny though? seriously.. them asian genes.
  • Kali13
    Kali13 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have actually read in a few different places that you actually should have one day in the week to just splurge and go crazy on whatever you want. (One of these authors is Joyce Vedral, writer of workout books like "Definition" and "Bottoms Up!")

Part of the reason is so that you don't go feeling like you're depriving yourself of treats or foods you love, 100% of the time. Another reason is because if you don't, you eventually become too thin and your body starts eating up muscle as a fuel source.

Your body needs a certain amount of fat. I think it's important not o be afraid of it, otherwise it just controls you.

Hope that helps.:flowerforyou:
  • chelsey787
    chelsey787 Posts: 261
    Options
    i just looked at the website, and i think they made a mistake....

popcorn shrimp isn't huge, and they are saying just one shrimp = 280 calories when a piece of fried chicken is about the same?

doesn't make much sense....

i don't think you ate that many calories!!!
  • madmisskelly
    Options
    I did much better today!! LOL!

YAY!!
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    The whole point of being here is to learn and to handle food better. This is something many of us struggle with, but I'm finding it isn't helpful that we tie so much emotion or self worth around our food decisions. In fact that often seems to give us permission to continue to make poor choices. I honestly don't know why that is. When I get a credit card statement in the mail and realize that I was out of control this month I don't say, I'm worthless and don't deserve to be wealthy, so I'll just go spend more money and start again next month. I just say whoops, I'd better put on the brakes for a while and I do. I want to work toward getting that same relationship with food. I don't handle it perfectly, but I can balance things out and still acheive my goals.

Dothompson - what a great analogy!!! You've really solidifed for me, the need to plan each meal BEFORE I get to the table. I am the "financial planner" in the household, and I make a budget for everything - I would never think to start the month without all of that in order.... hmmm.... why would I leave my diet days open to chance and possible "mis-spending" of calories???

Thanks for the inadvertant lesson! I'm going to start planning my meals a day or two in advance, and work within those limits! Thanks for the idea.
    :flowerforyou:
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Hey, just make it your self from now on. I use a low burning oil, mainly olive oil, and make my pop corn shrimp with soy flour, heavy cream and a egg white. I usually bake it, but prefer to fry it. It's a lot better for you this way.