(Not so) Healthy Pasta??

Options
fevre
fevre Posts: 60 Member
I was comparing two boxes of pasta today and was pretty surprised by what I found! My supposed "healthy" pasta option, Pasta Joy, had the same amount of calories in a serving (same size serving) as the Barilla, which I would have assumed was less healthy. Not only that, but the organic, whole-grain Pasta Joy had more calories from fat, more total fat, more sodium (Barilla has no sodium), and more carbs! I can see from the ingredients that it does seem more organic, but if it has more fat, sodium, and carbs, where are the benefits?? Or is it the case that Barilla is healthier than I had previously assumed, and not a good example of an "unhealthy" pasta?

Replies

• zer0vital
    Options
    I've been using Barilla. If anyone has a reason I should stop, please let me know. I go WAY over on sodium most of the time so that's a big incentive.
  • fevre
    fevre Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've been using Barilla. If anyone has a reason I should stop, please let me know. I go WAY over on sodium most of the time so that's a big incentive.

Well, the box definitely says 0mg sodium! I imagine if you add salt to the water while boiling it (I always have, a habit I should stop) it would add some sodium to the end product. It looks like there are also whole grain varieties of Barilla, I should clarify that that is not what I have - I just have the normal Barilla (penne in this case)
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Isn't Pasta Joy made out of brown rice? That's why it's more healthy -- less refined, higher fiber, easier to digest, etc.

It comes down to whether you care more about ingredients or numbers. I'm more concerned with ingredients, but I think even enriched "white" pasta is a decent choice in moderation. I eat that, and brown rice pasta, and whole wheat pasta, and veggie pasta . . . . I like it all ;)