Confused!!! HELP!!!

Options
Could someone review my food for the day and my exercise and tell me if I am doing this right? I only work like 8 days a month at the most, the rest of the time I am a pretty sedentary person. Any exertion at all is "exercise" for me. So should I be logging it as such?

I would appreciate any help or advice I can get!!

Thanks!

Replies

• dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    What exactly is "work"?
  • beckyellis1342
    Options
    Exercise is structured and planned physical activity that is performed to improve health and fitness. That is what you should record as exercise. Your physical activity (i.e., normal activity) during the day is included in the estimate of your BMR (basal metabolic rate), which when you first set up MFP it asked you about your daily activity and this represents that activity.
  • sierraskooter
    Options
    Not sure if you are familiar with it but I do the demo's at Wal-mart. The samples that are in the stores? I stand and walk around for 6.5 hours while cooking and handing out food samples. When I get home from work I am exhausted and feel like I have run a marathon! I know this is because I don't do much at home that I don't have to. (Working on that aspect of my life as well!!)

I have a cardio-tracker on my Droid that tracks the number of steps you take and (by weight) how many calories are burnt. I used it today at work and it said that I burned 912 calories while at work from all of the walking. I wasn't sure if I should count this or not, since my "normal" day doesn't include this amount of walking.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Ah, ok. Well, if you have your stats set to "sedenetary" then it seems logical to include your work as an exercise.

I'm sure that you know this, but only being semi-active 8 times a month is not going to help you reach your goals. Try to fit in at least a 30 minute walk every day or every other day. Your body will thank you.
  • Paolinat
    Paolinat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are not taking your weight loss goal seriously. You only workout 8 times per month?!
    Regarding calories: always the most calories for what you are eating.
    Regarding exercise: Calculate the least amount of calories being used.
    By calculating you calories as stated above, any error will be to your benefit.
    You need to at least take a 30minute walk 3 times per week. You have four boys. You are their mentor. Walk to a nearby playground and swing with them, walk around the park with them, etc.

Go to this website for local help: http://extension.missouri.edu/fnep/

If you keep doing the same things you've always done, things will always be the same.
    Do things differently and you will get different results. Teach your kids well by living your life well. Good luck
  • k8smama
    k8smama Posts: 48
    Options
    I count things that I would not do in an "average" day. For instance, I live in NE Ohio and take turns with my husband shoveling our driveway when it needs it. I count that as exercise that day since I only do it about once a week and it really is a work out. Conversely, I don't count housework as it's something that is a daily thing. I would try figuring out how many steps you take on an average day, then how many you take while at work. If the number is significantly different, take credit.
  • Octomonkey
    Octomonkey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi, I took a look at your food diary and saw that you just had coffee in the morning. It's really important to eat breakfast everyday as that kick starts your metabolism. Hope this helps :)
  • Katherine912
    Katherine912 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You really should eat breakfast! it's so important.
  • steampunkgirl
    Options
    I used to work in retail and the only thing is its not walking at a constant speed for say 10 min. Its alot of stopping and going. Because you don't do it often I would count it. I am always moving and tidying up the house but I record the housework when I did a good scrubbing in the bathroom and kitchen. Everything we do burns calories. I can't see your log at all so maybe we need to be friends.
    I agree with gragonbug300, I would recommend, if you really want to build up your endurance and see some results, start with taking a walk for 10 minutes for a week and add 5 minutes each week or every other week and see how you do. Or if any of your kids have a Nintendo DS get the walking game. Wear the pedometer. It will show you your day and steps. It will mark it in read when you are walking at a pace and rate that could be counted as...aerobic. Then you can count the walking time in red. On nice days I will take my daughter to the park and walk around the play area while she is in the center of my walking loop.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I personally would not count it, because while being on your feet all day and walking can be exhausting, it does not get your heart rate up to where it should be when working out,

If you do count it, I would only count maybe half or even a quarter of what you burn at work.
  • sierraskooter
    Options
    To Paolinat:

In so far as taking my goals seriously, if I weren't taking them seriously I wouldn't be here. Also, if you looked at my diary you will notice the LACK of "1 bag of ruffles potato chips" "2 snickers bars" "2 Honey buns" "2 Heath Bars" which used to be my average snacks in a day. You will also notice that there is some amount of "walking" everyday since I started.

This is a change for me. I have left room in my calories every day for a sweet snack because without that I know that I will end up binging and failing. So I alot myself 100 cals a day for a sweet treat, but only if I have done my walking for the day.

A little background for others reading so that you can understand my situation:

I am normally a very and I stress VERY sedentary person. Until I decided to diet I wouldn't do ANYTHING that I didn't absolutely have to do. I have four very healthy (very slim) boys that are very active. I finally decided to lose all this weight when my precious four year old walked up to me and asked why I don't play with him and his truck. I realized that I couldn't play with him because I was too fat to get up off the floor without an act of congress and two large gorillas to pick me up. It was at this point that I found myself crying and wondering why I had let myself get this way and how I could do this to my children.

So to those who don't think that I am serious about my goals> don't bother posting because no one can be anymore negative to me than I already am to myself. I don't need the naysayers and doubters.
  • geraldhenry
    Options
    I have looked at your diary and I think you are doing really great.

I have a suggestion for you that will change your whole life.

Eat fruit from breakfast time until lunch time.

Apples, pears, oranges, bananas, watermelon. You name it. You eat it.
    The 700 calories you are eating as an "Army Meal" could be replaced by many delicious and amazing pieces of fruit.

You will be amazed at the difference this will make to your life. You will immediately begin to be filled with energy and well being.

WHILE YOU ARE REDUCING THE QUANTITY OF YOUR CALORIES YOU WANT TO INCREASE THE QUALITY OF THE CALORIES YOU DO EAT.

Your body is a living creature.

It was designed for living food. THIS MEANS FRUIT AND VEGETABLES.

When you eat FRUIT until lunch time you are fueling life with life.

When you wake up, make sure the first thing you put in your body is alive. Save the coffee until later.

Squeeze the juice of a lemon into a large glass of water. Sweeten it with honey if you need to. Drink that first.

Then enjoy pieces of cut up fruit.

EAT as much GREEN LEAFY VEGETABLES each day that you can. Spinach, Swiss Chard, Romaine lettuce, etc. Eat broccoli, asparagus, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts. Eat carrots, cucumber, celery, radishes, tomatoes. Use "Wishbone" spritzer salad dressings for the best lo-call dressing you can get. Eat raw if possible, but steamed, roasted or cooked is also fine if that's all you feel like.

Stick within your calorie goal as you are doing and just constantly improve the QUALITY of your intake.

YOUR BODY NEEDS FOOD FOR TWO REASONS --> (1) NUTRITION AND (2) ENERGY

If you are eating low quality food that's low on nutrition, your body will "demand" large quantities of food in a desperate attempt to get the nutrition it needs. When you increase the QUALITY of your food, your urge to eat large quantities will be greatly reduced because your body is satisfied nutritionally.

As you have experienced, there is plenty of room within your calorie count to eat some treats each day.

Allow yourself that and enjoy the incredible transformation you have started.

You have taken the most important step. If you fill out myfitnesspal.com each day and stay within your calorie count you will get to your goal without question. It is not if, it is just when.

Eating within your limits (which you can now track everyday) will become your way of life and you will be your true weight for the rest of your life.

PLAYING WITH YOUR KIDS IS THE BEST GOAL OF ALL.

YOU CAN DO IT!
  • jimrogers
    jimrogers Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks geraldhenry. Well Said!
  • sierraskooter
    Options
    TY geraldhenry! It is always nice to hear good things. I was starting to doubt my own motives for a moment when I read Paolinat's post.

My goal is not to look good (although I know it will be a side effect), it is not to be the sexy soccer mommy, it is just to feel better so I can enjoy my children while they are children.

I have taken what you said and decided to do just that. I will start each day with a cup of juice (because I can't afford a lot of fruit) or a banana. I have started drinking more water as a part of my plan because before my "livit" (stuck in the richard simmons frame of mind right now lol) I drank mostly Diet Mt. Dew all day and very little water. Now I only allow myself 2 sodas a day (even though they are 0 cals) and keep filling my glass of water all day long.

It is nice to have this site!
  • mariasheehan
    Options
    Hi there!!! are you new to MFP? if so a very warm hearted welcome. I think the fact that you have come here and are trying to lose weight is incredible and you ARE a great role model to your children. I'm sorry if you've encountered negativity, it rarely happens here. Would you like some help and support? I'd love to be friends if so and help you in any way I can? keep up the great work.
  • mariasheehan
    Options
    TY geraldhenry! It is always nice to hear good things. I was starting to doubt my own motives for a moment when I read Paolinat's post.

My goal is not to look good (although I know it will be a side effect), it is not to be the sexy soccer mommy, it is just to feel better so I can enjoy my children while they are children.

I have taken what you said and decided to do just that. I will start each day with a cup of juice (because I can't afford a lot of fruit) or a banana. I have started drinking more water as a part of my plan because before my "livit" (stuck in the richard simmons frame of mind right now lol) I drank mostly Diet Mt. Dew all day and very little water. Now I only allow myself 2 sodas a day (even though they are 0 cals) and keep filling my glass of water all day long.

It is nice to have this site!

Please give us a chance to support and help you; this is an amazing site and MOST of the members are very very helpful and supportive. I don't want anyone to put you off, keep going. x
  • sierraskooter
    Options
    Believe me, I am not going anywhere!! Once I set my mind to something I do it. My fiance' calls me the most stubborn person he has ever met!

My problem has always been a lack of motivation. That day with my four year old is my motivation. Also, my mother has also decided to join me in my goal. She is extremely overweight and suffering horribly because of it. So I have her as a workout pal. We are starting the "Six Week Body Makeover" program on Monday

I know that in life I will meet those who think that I am not serious. I will meet negative people everywhere in my life.

I have one thing moving me right now and that is De'Vaughn, my 4 year old son. I am going to change my profile pic to his so that everyone can see my motivation.

I am here for the long run people! I may fall off the wagon but I will pull myself up and climb back on. I may binge, but I will workout extra to make up for it. I am determined to make it and no negative little girl is going to stop me!!!

Ok, done ranting! lol Ty for those who put up with me :))
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    geraldhenry, what an excellent post.
  • lyn60
    lyn60 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    To Paolinat:

In so far as taking my goals seriously, if I weren't taking them seriously I wouldn't be here. Also, if you looked at my diary you will notice the LACK of "1 bag of ruffles potato chips" "2 snickers bars" "2 Honey buns" "2 Heath Bars" which used to be my average snacks in a day. You will also notice that there is some amount of "walking" everyday since I started.

This is a change for me. I have left room in my calories every day for a sweet snack because without that I know that I will end up binging and failing. So I alot myself 100 cals a day for a sweet treat, but only if I have done my walking for the day.

A little background for others reading so that you can understand my situation:

I am normally a very and I stress VERY sedentary person. Until I decided to diet I wouldn't do ANYTHING that I didn't absolutely have to do. I have four very healthy (very slim) boys that are very active. I finally decided to lose all this weight when my precious four year old walked up to me and asked why I don't play with him and his truck. I realized that I couldn't play with him because I was too fat to get up off the floor without an act of congress and two large gorillas to pick me up. It was at this point that I found myself crying and wondering why I had let myself get this way and how I could do this to my children.

So to those who don't think that I am serious about my goals> don't bother posting because no one can be anymore negative to me than I already am to myself. I don't need the naysayers and doubters.

I think it was more that she missunderstood that you work at walmart 8 days a month, not that you workout 8 days a month. i think most of us are here because we are serious, but we need the support of others to help us change habits that we've had for a very long time. so keep working a little more each day. i counted doing bench presses and arm curls using my 2 year old, so if you are doing extra walking with the kids that leaves you winded then i would count it and work on increasing in small increments a week at a time. good luck!!!