How to stay hydrated while jogging.

Options
Good morning everyone. I joined MFP quite awhile ago, but I let life take over and keep me from getting back into shape. However, within the past month or two, concern about my weight has grown along with my waistline. I don't know if my PCOS is kicking in, stress is waging war on my body, or I'm just reaching new heights (lows!) of laziness and bad eating choices. I started gaining weight faster than ever, and I'm now at my heaviest. (And before it's asked, I know I'm not pregnant.)

I want to be fit and my increased weight has been on my mind more than any other stresses. It's been bumming me out and so I decided to find a way to motivate myself to work on my health; clearly, I couldn't stay motivated to get on the treadmill every day. I'd get pumped up and tell myself to stick with it.... I'd use it for an hour almost every day..... and a couple of weeks later, I would get 'too busy'.

Cue the mountain bike. I recently changed jobs and got a nice bonus check because of it. I was planning on buying new clothes since I'm rapidly growing out of my old ones. However, my husband and I were on the way to the women's department in Wal-Mart when inspiration struck: I saw a bike, and I just knew I had to have it.

You see, my father was in the military and we did a lot of moving around, but during his career, we spent the most time in Alaska. An amazing place, I assure you.... and it was there that my dad tried to get us all into mountain biking. He bought us very expensive 24-speed, lightweight Mongooses. I was very attached to my bike, but when we moved away and I started college 5 years later, a car ran into me and utterly destroyed my baby. I was devastated emotionally (silly as it sounds), and tried a cheap replacement that didn't work out.

After that, I got married, started my career, and had other things to worry about.

A few weeks ago when I saw that black and orange Mongoose, I just stopped in my tracks and became determined to convince my husband of the purchase. He's a worry-wart, you see, and I wanted to ride that bike to work and back every day. It's a 6 mile, hilly trip... and somehow.. I convinced him!

I'll admit I was trepidatious about taking the bike up those hills, but when I made nearly every hill without losing much wind... on the first ride? I was elated! I knew I had found my motivation to get into shape! I'm such an introvert and home-body that I forgot how nice it is to be outside!

I found a new app on my phone called "Couch to 5K" and decided I'd give it a shot as well, because a week of biking and watching my calorie intake hadn't yielded any results at all. I'm hoping I didn't lose any weight because I Was building my muscle mass, but nonetheless, I wanted to see what else I could do with my renewed vigor.

I've always been very self-conscious about being outside and people watching me... so I've never... ever jogged out in public. I was scared to do so, but my determination won over. I put some buds in my ears, started my training apps.... and ventured out. I jogged and walked in intervals, huffing and puffing. 2 miles brought me to Walmart where I purchased a vitamin water and then started on my way back home. The way back home, however, is at a higher elevation, and the heat index brought temperatures to a scalding 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I felt dry-mouthed about half way through despite the liquid intake within the last hour.

I've made that jog/walk three times now, and each experience has been similar. I feel slightly winded, hot, and sore by the time I get to Walmart and purchase a drink... but I feel almost unbearably thirsty about halfway home. It made me wonder: How do joggers stay hydrated?

I mean....I'm sorry if this sounds horrible, but I can't imagine carrying a water bottle. It seems awkward and inconvenient... what if I drop it and have to stop in order to retrieve it? Won't my hands get stiff from carrying it the whole hour or however long I work out? I tried to reflect on what I've seen joggers do and my mind has gone blank. I even tried googling pictures of joggers, and I only saw pictures of joggers either carrying a bottle or wearing some kind of waistband to hold a water bottle.

What do YOU do to keep hydrated? I'm not sure I can convince my husband to let me spend more money on exercise accessories after all the money I spent on stuff for my biking.

Thanks for your time, and God bless!

(I suppose this was more akin to an intro thread, so I'm sorry if this needs to be moved. Due to the question however, I thought this might be the best place to stick the topic.)

Replies

• ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    Use a camelback that has a chest strap so it doesn't bounce. They're actually kind of expensive but if you need it it's worth it. I don't hydrate while I run, but my long runs are only 5.5 - 6 miles. I drink right before and after my runs but not during and I think I've just gotten used to it. I will say that chapstick really helps me from feeling like I have cotton mouth while I run.
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I too have the camelback, but I also use a water belt that holds 2 bottles of water. When I am not in the mood to use either of those I just bring money with me to get a bottle of water somewhere.

Good luck and keep up this renewed sense!!
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have never, ever needed to hydrate on a training run (the longest of which is 10 miles for half marathon training). I do carry a small packet of sport beans, but for the most part I do my hydrating the day before my long runs. I drink a TON of water the day before a big run.

The key to staying hydrated while running is just regularly staying hydrated in the first place. We are recommended to consume at least half our body weight in ounces each day, so for a 200 lb person that is 100 oz of water. Drink up buttercup.
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I don't hydrate during runs... I do so afterwards. However, I run in not much elevation, and I only go when the temp outside is not too hot for me. I have to agree that Chapstick is very helpful in keeping my mouth from getting too dry while breathing through my mouth so much. You would probably like a camelback, or maybe you will get more used to running and the frequent hydration won't feel as necessary.
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    check amazon...they have these homely little belts that have little water bottles attached to them... also there are little bottles with small handles you can carry made for runners. If you want to drink while running...you'll just have to deal with carrying it... until your in a race...where they usually provide it along the route. I think a camelback is an awful lot of water and will probably cause a lot of back sweating (though this is just my opinion). I train to run without water as I think it slows me down in a race...but research shows that staying hydrated helps you feel like you could do more...so I guess research is on your side.
  • RangerRN507
    RangerRN507 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    unless your running like an ultra marathon you shouldnt need to hydrate during an event or training session, hydration should take place in the 48 hours leading up to your event but if you train all the time like most people then hydration needs to be an ongoing thing, people often forget water is the most important of all nutrients, who cares how many carbs you have if your dehydrated as hell. at any rate, if you feel like you MUST have water during just buy a camelback but I think you will find the camelback more annoying than anything
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I use two methods- first one is to use a special running bottle which has a hole in the middle. It's much easier to hold than a normal bottle - although for a run longer than 30mins it would be annoying holding on. The other thing I do is to bring a bottle of water with me- run for about 10 mins. Sip the drink then hide it behind a wall or tree. Then keep running. On my way back home I go back the way I came and retrieve the bottle. It means I'm not carring the bottle all the way and I have something to "look forward to " on the way home:)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    The only time that I have needed to hydrate during runs is when I was running for over an hour. And when I was doing that, I lived in Chicago and would run on the path next to Lake Shore Drive, which had water fountains every mile or two.

If you drink enough water before you run, you shouldn't get dehydrated during 4 miles, no matter how hot it is.

If having water would make you feel better, though, just buy a small bottle of water to carry with you. An 8-oz. bottle doesn't weigh much and you can switch hands if you find that holding it tires out your hand. If you drop it, you stop, pick it up, and start up again.

You could get something like this:
    http://www.rei.com/product/843088/fuelbelt-sprint-handheld-water-bottle

But I think it's overkill.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Ditch the walmart bike for sure.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm with the others in that if you're adequately hydrated before the run starts you shouldn't need to drink during the run however if you prefer to have something during the run it's a matter of personal choice and comfort level. Check out fuel belts, I have one that hold 2 x12 oz flasks that I use for runs in hot weather that are over 90 minutes.They're snug and don't move around very much, I've yet to drop a bottle.
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    If i'm doing a long run (10-12 miles) i find that if i can't hydrate, it impacts the run itself and i feel crappy afterwards, even when i re-hydrate. So i feel you on needing to hydrate during a run. As i think someone mentioned, I bought one of those running belts that has two small water bottles on it. It's just enough to keep me going until i can really tank up with water at home. While i clearly would prefer to run without any type of batman utility belt, it's not too bad. Plus i can keep keys, gels, sport beans etc in the little zip up pack that's on the belt, so that's nice. Just a thought though- don't run when it's a real feel of 100 degrees if you can avoid it!!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Just another vote for "I don't bring water on my runs" and I run up to 6 miles. I find that if I try to gulp a few mouthfuls of water during a run, I slosh for the rest of the workout. I even bypass water stations during races. YMMV
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I have something like a camelback, but honestly only take it on trail runs. Otherwise for normal runs I just take sports beans and a packet or two of mustard.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    I have a hydration belt that goes around my waist. It came with 2 water bottles and has a small pouch. I do carry some water but I usually wear it for the pouch I put my keys and other junk in there when I run. You can buy them at a running store or on amazon.
  • wissabear
    wissabear Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I use a hand held water bottle with a pouch. Holds my phone also! I only use it when I'm going to be out for 1.5 hours or longer.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Be a real woman and get a leather bota bag the more antique the better! This will drive all the men to your yard!
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    see found one for you for the cheap price of $555 http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIBAL-ANTIQUE-LEATHER-WATER-WINE-CANTEEN-BOTA-BAG-/261240465367 nice shape and form too!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    The only time that I have needed to hydrate during runs is when I was running for over an hour. And when I was doing that, I lived in Chicago and would run on the path next to Lake Shore Drive, which had water fountains every mile or two.

If you drink enough water before you run, you shouldn't get dehydrated during 4 miles, no matter how hot it is.

If having water would make you feel better, though, just buy a small bottle of water to carry with you. An 8-oz. bottle doesn't weigh much and you can switch hands if you find that holding it tires out your hand. If you drop it, you stop, pick it up, and start up again.

You could get something like this:
    http://www.rei.com/product/843088/fuelbelt-sprint-handheld-water-bottle

But I think it's overkill.

I have one of these and I love it. I need to hydrate during a run over 5km - maybe it's because I live in a humid climate? Or, maybe I'm just a wuss :laugh: For long training runs of 14km or more, I use a 2-bottle fuel belt which you could purchase at any running store.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    You don't need all the equipment peeps are suggesting for the runs you are doing now.

You hydrate when you are not running, all day, everyday. If you absolutely FEEL like you can't make it through the run without hydration then just grab a small bottle of water and run with it. You don't need fancy straps and camelbaks for what yuo are doing. just a bottle of water you can keep around and refill. It will give your arms a slight workout as well carrying it so plus plus there.

AND

If you are doing this to drop weight and such like you said, stop buying that vitamin water crap in the middle of your runs. It's basically the equivalent of drinking a 16 ounce dr.pepper mid run. Calories and full of crap you don't need. Don't be fooled by their marketing. You don't need anything but water (not even Gatorade)until you hit MUCH MUCH MUCH further distances.
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I do like to have a water bottle with me for runs lasting more than 30 minutes, but I really don't drink much while I run. I have a Camelbak water bottle belt I LOVE that has a pocket big enough for my phone and keys, so that is very helpful. To help me with my throat when I first start my run I take a Halls mentho lyptus throat drop. It opens up the nasal passages and coats my throat so it isn't so scratchy and dry from breathing hard. Enjoy your running, and do what you need to do to keep comfortable while you run so you keep on running!:wink: