20 weeks ago

Options
Today I am in pain and am very exhausted. The reason for this is almost the same as it was 20 weeks ago, yet the actual feeling is quite different.

While 'serious weightloss' and 'life change' really only came about 2 1/2 weeks ago, the preperation has been long coming. Over 2 years ago I discovered 'Mio' water flavors and slowly started cutting out soda and sweet tea. Over the last 2 years the wife and I started finding 'healthy' recipes that we actually enjoyed but were still good for us. We would try them out about once a month so now we have a small arsenal to go to when we have a real old fashioned 'craving'.

Still, 20 weeks ago I couldn't do much. I don't know how much I weighed, honestly. I thought I was around 500 but I know now, since I know I've lost SOMETHING in that time, that it could have been 550 or more.

Walking hurt, heck, everything hurt. I couldn't do anything I actually wanted to and 'just get out and walk' was not the answer since I knew 2 things, I couldn't walk far enough to make a real difference and I wouldn't stick with it. (Walking is boring... yep...)

So, I had to find something I COULD do, that I would not only enjoy but really WANT to do, even if I was sweating profusely in front of other people. The answer was something I had grown up doing yet hadn't done since I was 14, bowling.

Long story short I joined a 10 week long Monday night bowling league for the first part of the summer. It wasn't sanctioned and was just a 'fun' league to help the bowling alley make up some money waiting for fall leagues to start again.

For at least the first 5 weeks I came home in EXTREME pain. I am talking can't sleep because I'm too busy going OWWW MY LEGS! And yes, I sweat profusely. I went through a bottle of 'Bio-Freeze' roll-on in the first 3 weeks and another in just a month after that, not to mention the pain pills.

As the 10 weeks ended a new one started right after, another 10 week league on Monday nights though now my wife joined us. Pain was still a huge issue and I had gotten a system down. AFter the first game I would take a couple of pain pills. After the second game I would take some more. Then liberally apply the bio-freeze at home. It did help, some.

You see, in the first 10 weeks, I missed almost that many days at work either Tuesday or Wednesday. Either in too much pain to move or on too many pain pills I was getting sick. Luckily I had an understanding job but still I was afraid of losing it for something so stupid.

So after 2 1/2 weeks being serious about our life change and 20 weeks bowling I don't know how much weight I've lost. I know I was 513 when starting the calorie counting so if I've lost at the rate MFP and I think, I will have lost 10-15 pounds so far. I bowled last night and I hurt today, but not because I bowled last night rather because I bowled both last night AND sunday. The misses and I are going to take up two nights a week now (Sundays and Wednesdays) and there was some overlap so we are bowling 3 times this week only. The league that kicked off my new life is ending.

Its weird to think back to 20 weeks ago and realize how much LESS pain I'm in now than I was even though I bowled twice as much. 20 weeks ago I knew I had to do SOMETHING to make a change. I had to 'act' like I was already thinner and do something slightly outside my physical ability. Today, I know it was just another small step in what is going to be a great year and an amazing set of experiences to come.

Here's to all our small steps adding up to great things.

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Good post! Move more and eat less. Sometimes it just is all about finding an activity you like. This is very motivational. Thank you for sharing.
  • seamandi
    seamandi Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work!!! Thank you for the very inspirational post!
  • poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Options
    Great start. Pretty soon you'll be able to add other activities on the nights you don't bowl. I think you and your wife should find some scenic place to do a little walking . . . a park or nice shady street. Even a half hour of walking would do you both good. Or try swimming or aquasizing. Keep it up and gradually increase the intensity. :flowerforyou:
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Its so great that you found an activity that works for you!! And you are completely right- it will get easier! The first day after a new activity I sometimes can barely sit up in bed! What you are experiencing is completely normal. Keep it up and keep up the awesome weight loss!
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Good for you! It's all about moving your body and yes, walking can be boring (although I like it :smile: ), so do what you know you'll stick with. Great job.
  • PMA140
    PMA140 Posts: 60
    Options
    Awesome post! Thank you for sharing. :flowerforyou:

Good Luck! I hope you continue to push yourself and I think it's great that you are doing it as a family.

ETA: I don't find walking boring at all outside. Maybe try listening to your favorite music or going for a short walk with your wife after dinner a few times a week. You might start to enjoy it.
  • BettJo64
    BettJo64 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    logged on just now and the first thing I saw was your post :-) I needed this today! I woke up sore from my walking and strengthening exercises lastnight and feeling like I just wanna lay around again. BUT now I feel fired up and inspired because of your words!!! It's wonderful that you found something that works for you. That motivation that gets you out there and moving!!! I'm sure you have loads of fun with your wife and friend and don't even realize there is exercise and exertion involved until the night is done and your home aching lol yet you probably still find yourself thinking "when can do this again!! " as you nurse your aches. I need to find that for myself. As of now, I work out alone in my home. I'm inspired now thanks to you to find a social way of getting my exercise in and being social, too :-)
  • dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    :drinker: awesome post!!
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Amner, brother. Its what we do today that counts.

I admire what youve done.

FR coming if you want it.

Fsunami
  • sharonpink
    sharonpink Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Great Post. It just goes to show that small changes lead to big successes.
  • shuasmith
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I appreciate all the new friend requests and am humbled that anyone was motivated by my small first steps.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Amazing how time has flown (tomorrow with my one year on this WOE). Congrats on your progress.
  • Shmom123
    Options
    Your post is so inspirational...never give up!!!:wink:
  • shuasmith
    Options
    Amner, brother. Its what we do today that counts.

I admire what youve done.

FR coming if you want it.

Fsunami

You had me at Yoda.
  • shuasmith
    Options
    Amazing how time has flown (tomorrow with my one year on this WOE). Congrats on your progress.

Congrats to you too. I'm inspired by your progress in a year and look forward to my one year.
  • shuasmith
    Options
    logged on just now and the first thing I saw was your post :-) I needed this today! I woke up sore from my walking and strengthening exercises lastnight and feeling like I just wanna lay around again. BUT now I feel fired up and inspired because of your words!!!

Once again (Just less of a blanket response) humbled by such words. I hope you have a great day.

And yes, I think about bowling a lot. It was something my whole family did (and most still do) and something I learned VERY early in life. I don't mean like rolling the ball down the dinosaur with bumpers (they didn't have dinosaurs back then anyway) but rather "Ok time to learn to bowl right" at like 4 years old.
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Shua: What a great story, thanks for sharing. Kudos to you for pushing past the pain, I can appreciate what you are going through you know that. I am very proud of how far you have come so fast. Plus to incorporate something that you like is an added bonus. Keep up the great work. Now it time for me to go and work out, you made so excuses so I won't either. :drinker:
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Congratulations.

You have made amazing progress so far, and with this attitude - you are going to be able to achieve whatever goals you set.

Feel free to add me if you are looking for friends.
  • EvaiTryst
    EvaiTryst Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. You put a smile on my face and I'm very happy for you that you and your wife found something that you enjoy. You are inspirational, my dear.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Great job! Glad you found something to do that you enjoy. I hope there will continue to be other leagues you can join throughout the year. I used to bowl years ago, maybe I should check into this for myself. I am proud of you, keep it up!