Struggling to hit my targets

MezaEza
MezaEza Posts: 267 Member
Hi.

I'm pretty new to using this and struggling to hit my recommended targets for protein (92g a day) and Carbohydrates (228g a day). On a good day I manage to get between 50-70% of my target and could really use some help!

I'm not wanting to eat extra food purely to hit these targets, so I'm looking for help for how I can increase my intake in my meals. Any help would be much appreciated!

My diary is viewable by friends only but please feel free to add me.

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    So you are struggling to hit your protein and carb targets, and are hitting your calorie goals with fat grams? Like, peanut butter, olives, etc?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    your first goal is to try to hit your calorie goal. don't worry about being 100 calories over, but just to be more or less there.

the other stuff, the macro nutrients, are important, as it can give you a lot of useful information, but you'll make yourself crazy trying to make them perfect.
  • JamericanBoy
    JamericanBoy Posts: 484 Member
    I use to sweat over this as well until a friend recommended that I try balancing the macro goals over a week instead over a day. Makes it a lot more manageable.
  • MezaEza
    So you are struggling to hit your protein and carb targets, and are hitting your calorie goals with fat grams? Like, peanut butter, olives, etc?

Yes, I suppose I must be. I'm pretty much hitting my fat (47g) and sugar (53g) targets everyday so have no issue there. The majority of my fat consumption comes from nuts/avocados/meat/fish.
  • MezaEza
    I use to sweat over this as well until a friend recommended that I try balancing the macro goals over a week instead over a day. Makes it a lot more manageable.

Thanks, that certainly sounds like it may be the way I need to do things. I'll try that over the next week or so.
  • bluuu123
    bluuu123 Posts: 83
    are you following the automatic goals that MFP gives you? I'm really convinced they are NOT the right goals for you - they are some random average goals.

In my opinion you're having too much sugar. The DAILY healthy amount for a grown individual is 35 grams MAXIMUM.

As to protein, try to eat more chicken breast, more eggs / egg whites, more fish.
    Those are all awesome & tasty protein sources.

If you want, I could take a glance at your food diary! Add me :)
  • MezaEza
    are you following the automatic goals that MFP gives you? I'm really convinced they are NOT the right goals for you - they are some random average goals.

In my opinion you're having too much sugar. The DAILY healthy amount for a grown individual is 35 grams MAXIMUM.

I'm using the targets as a guide but not sticking to them religiously. Is there a better way to work out more accurate goals?

I am definitely trying to reduce my sugar intake, it's a lot less than it was before I started trying to lose weight. Also, it now 99% of any sugar I eat comes from natural sources like fruit and honey but I do want to cut the amount I eat down further.
  • bluuu123
    bluuu123 Posts: 83
    u really love flapjacks eh? haha

they seem to give u 40 grams of sugar daily (and thats before all the other stuff)

id suggest try something different for breakfast - eggo waffles (my breakfast haha), hot oatmeal (buy quaker oats) or such = very healthy and much less sugar
  • MezaEza
    Haha, you caught me! Flapjacks are not my usual breakfast, normally I have a big bowl of branflakes - much healthier!