Lost 15 lbs-no one seems to be noticing

Options
I started out 45 days ago at 190 lbs and lost 15 lbs as of Sunday!

I know 190 lbs is a lot and the 15 lbs may not be a huge loss, but I thought for sure someone at the office would say something looked different about me. No one has said anything.

Also, I met a friend who I haven't seen since I started losing weight and she didn't say anything either. I have to work every day on not letting what other people think about me affect me. It is work, because self-confidence doesn't come easily to me. I know I shouldn't really care about it and should only focus on how I feel about myself, but again, it's something I have to continuously remind myself as my natural tendency is to let other people's opinion of me affect me. It's almost ironic that I would post this here asking for everyone's opinion once again, but I'll try not let it affect me either way, so bring it on! Would you be bothered if no one noticed your physical appearance has changed?

Replies

• mary659497
    mary659497 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    It is nice when people notice, but you are losing weight for you. Don't let it get you down. Also, sometimes I think people are jealous when you try to improve your health and overall appearance. Just keep moving in the right direction.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    In my own experience, people will notice when you buy new clothes that fit you well. Hopefully most of your motivation does come from within but what others think played a part in my decision to start losing weight and the positive feedback I received helped me keep it up.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    I started out 45 days ago at 190 lbs and lost 15 lbs as of Sunday!

I know 190 lbs is a lot and the 15 lbs may not be a huge loss, but I thought for sure someone at the office would say something looked different about me. No one has said anything.

Also, I met a friend who I haven't seen since I started losing weight and she didn't say anything either. I have to work every day on not letting what other people think about me affect me. It is work, because self-confidence doesn't come easily to me. I know I shouldn't really care about it and should only focus on how I feel about myself, but again, it's something I have to continuously remind myself as my natural tendency is to let other people's opinion of me affect me. It's almost ironic that I would post this here asking for everyone's opinion once again, but I'll try not let it affect me either way, so bring it on! Would you be bothered if no one noticed your physical appearance has changed?

Congrats on your success thus far! I totally get what you mean, I need validation too. That's part of the reason why social media, and even these threads, can be a slippery slope for me. In fact I recently deleted all my MFP friends because I was having a hard time with the feedback (good and bad). It's hard to not put too much stock in others' opinions but for some of us, that's just reality.

Depending on your stature, 15 lbs may not be that noticeable to others. I'm 5'10" and nobody noticed until I was around the 25 lbs lost mark.

Do this for you and nobody else. I know that's easier said than done. :flowerforyou:
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I did not get many comments, especially at work, until the 40 lb lost mark and was wearing more fitting clothes. I started at 255. Keep at it and they will come.
  • sujo70
    sujo70 Posts: 1
    Options
    Take heart - YOU notice. Your co-workers may have noticed but because they see you everyday - are just not sure enough to say anything. I recently lost 45 lbs and it wasn't until around the 25 lbs that people noticed. Just be proud of yourself for making a choice to be healthy!:wink:
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Probably just not noticeable by co-workers because they see you every day. Keep it up - this is for YOU and IF they notice, great! If not, oh well.

Re: the other person you saw, they may have noticed but didn't say anything. If you've read some of the threads here, some people like comments about their appearance and others do not, so as a commenter, it's hard to know whether it will be received well or not.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    There is this weird range of people where no one notices until it's almost 30+ pounds.

If you're extremely large- weigh falls of- people might notice soon.
    If you are extremely tiny- and lose 10 pounds- people may take instant notice (and assume your sick or have an eating disorder)

But if you are only kind of over weight? Most people don't notice till you completely change your structure.

I've put on a dropped 20 pounds (purposefully) over the last year- and people only notice when I dropped the first 7 pounds and my waist sucked up- and no one has noticed the next 10 or so what so ever.

It's fine. I can tell. I get to buy new clothes- pull out my tiny clothes and be happy checking my a** out when I walk by store windows.

Go buy new clothes in another 5-10 pounds. Rock that st*t- get a make over and own it- and who cares what anyone else thinks- be happy for yourself!!! You've done a lot of hard work- be proud of yourself.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss. What is important here, is you know how hard you've worked and how much better it makes you feel. Remember, this is about you, for you and not for what others think. Also, sometimes people might feel uncomfortable saying anything.
    You just keep up the good work, you're doing fantastic!
  • Kanndee
    Kanndee Posts: 8
    Options
    First, Kudos on losing 15 lbs! That's wonderful!!

Second, to answer your question....Yes, I would be upset if no one noticed. But let me ask you something. Do you think it's possible that people are noticing but not saying anything? People have to be very careful in the workplace these days. If they tell you that you look great and ask if you are losing weight you could get offended and wonder if you really looked that bad before. Some people take offense to any kind of personal comments even if it was meant as a compliment. I understand where you are coming from, you just want people to notice.....I would too.

Third, Have you gotten any new clothes that fit your new figure? About 6 years ago I lost a lot of weight (about 80 lbs.) and kept wearing the same clothes at first. It didn't bother me that my clothes were getting loose (finally!) but a friend of mine took me aside one day and told me that my jeans weren't just loose, they were getting very baggy and it wasn't an appealing look. She was right but I didn't want to buy new clothes until I reached my goal. Well, that wasn't going to work because when I went to the store and tried some things on......I was down two sizes!! I couldn't believe it! So I bought just a few things to accent my new figure and kept going. I got a lot of compliments after that. I hope this helps. :)
  • BrokenBelles
    BrokenBelles Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think people have lost weight, but I don't say anything because I'm afraid of being wrong and that I'll make them feel bad. I know this is me overthinking it though, I just should say it. Or at least tell them they look good. :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not bothered., surely the most important person is yourself. All the better when you lose the rest but you dont need their approval. You have worked hard on it and thats all that matters.
  • SRB5729
    SRB5729 Posts: 2
    Options
    First: Awesome job! It can be hard to feel that hard work of any kind has gone unnoticed. However, how do you feel? I hope you are proud of your accomplishment. Getting started and follow through is a win. Maybe some folks don't want to discuss your success because it reminds them of their own perceived need. As somebody on this journey recently, I celebrate your success and hope you find your way to your target for you.
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    In my own experience, people will notice when you buy new clothes that fit you well. Hopefully most of your motivation does come from within but what others think played a part in my decision to start losing weight and the positive feedback I received helped me keep it up.

definitely this. i have definitely started to notice my body changing, but it wasn't until the day i went into work wearing a new outfit that fit (size smaller in the pants!) that three different people commented. i'm pretty close with my coworkers, so they were comfortable commenting on my weight loss, and i was comfortable hearing it. keep that in mind too... some people feel that commenting on other people's physical appearance (especially weight) is best avoided.
  • Makterbro
    Makterbro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I lost 45lbs and my mom was the only one that noticed.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    No one noticed my weight loss until I got down 30-40lbs. Now people comment on it daily. It just depends on how well you carry your weight. It may not have been that noticeable in the first place that you were overweight, so it'll take a bigger loss for people to tell. Especially people who see you every day.
  • RachelAngel01
    RachelAngel01 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30 pounds, and nobody has said anything. No biggie. I'm not doing it for them. I'm doing this for me.
  • kristinhowell
    kristinhowell Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Just because no one says anything doesn't mean they have not noticed.
    Weight is like age, it's not always polite conversation, and there isn't always an easy way to bring it up or approach it. Most people would rather play it safe.

And you aren't doing this for other people. You're doing it for you, and if you weigh your happiness (no pun intended o.O) about your weight loss on other people's comments on your weight loss, that's asking for disaster. Just make sure you keep your mind in the right place.

For me, though, no I'm not upset that people don't comment. I'm quite proud of my accomplishments and that's enough for me.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    People typically do not notice until new, better fitting clothes are bought.

Sometimes people do not want to say anything. Some people get upset, some people are sick and some lose due to a stressful period in ones life. Then again, some people just get offended if you bring up their weight, stick around here long enough and you will see.

Congrats on the loss. Its a big deal.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    When I hit the 30 pound loss all of a sudden everyone noticed. 190s to 160s. Before that not a peep.
  • moldovitsa
    moldovitsa Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It's so nice to hear about each and everyone's experience and perspective on this. I AM doing this for me, not for anyone else and I'll keep this as a reminder to myself if I feel down. To me, I feel so much thinner and lighter and I guess I wanted to know if others are seeing or feeling the change in me. Again, needing that validation, I guess. :) I'll keep coming back here for validation. Thank you all!