Can't believe it's taken this long, but here I am!

Options
Hi everyone! Like the title of my writing suggests, it has taken me a loooooong time to finally devote myself to weight loss. For me, the weight started to pile on in about Grade 8 during which time the back-handed compliments of, "you're so pretty, you could be a model if you would just lose some weight" began. Then throughout highschool I was toppled by a cancer scare which led to depression which led to food. Then there was a first-love boyfriend and later a break-up and then an extremely unhealthy relationship and it was at this point when I started using marijuana to escape reality. HOWEVER, although marijuana helped clear my head, it also helped to fuel my appetite and therefore, depression + an unhealthy, abusive relationship + marijuana use + munchies = an overweight body. When I found out that I had a brain tumour, I broke off the unhealthy relationship once and for all, but with complications from the surgery, the depression continued, along with severe migraine headaches. What helped with the pain? Marijuana. During an eye examination, my optometrist referred some blood work to get my thyroid levels checked and you'll never believe it! Now I had hypothyroidism. In fact, my thyroid was about 12 (whatever units of measurement they use for thyroid) away from where it should have been. Two years of being medicated later, it still has not leveled.

On January 4, 2011, after eating half of a cheesecake in a marijuana munchie binge, I woke up, threw the rest of the cheesecake out and haven't touched a joint to my lips since. I bought a Wii, started shaking my booty to Just Dance 2, have been reading some inspirational blogs on this site and have found the devotion that I have been missing for quite some time.

Just wanted to give a story behind the username - hadenuf (had ENOUGH!), introduce myself and welcome any new (supportive and encouraging) friends! I have avoided scales like the plague for years and years of my life, living in denial about my real weight. So, I bought a scale today - that means I'm in. Giddy-up!!!

Replies

• sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your start!! Sounds like you've had a pretty tough time so far, but it is never to late to start over and do what you can to keep your body healthy. I've been avoiding scales forever now too, but once I started concentrating on weight loss it actually became something to look forward to! I agree, that I had enough and I just recently (re)committed myself to weight loss. Good luck, you're off to a great start.
  • melissarforlife
    melissarforlife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you are here! You are making a choice, and its YOU! Bravo! Take one day at a time, and make sure you are on here, logging your food and exercise. This site has been wonderful and it works as long as you are doing the work! I am so happy for you. A new beginning! Welcome and pls feel free to add me as a friend, if you'd like!
  • TheNewDanielle
    Options
    Good luck! and you've come to the right place. I've never felt so motivated as when I get on here and receive encouragement from people who are going through the same things as I am. :)
  • ThaiKaren
    ThaiKaren Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the site. This is the start of the new you. Don't look back, just forward x
  • lindalos54
    lindalos54 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You've taken the hardest step - the first one! I applaud you for that. There is so much support available here at MFP. You can get easily lost for hours, reading posts and blogs!

I just started on my journey again I had lost over 50 lbs a few years ago - then life pulled some punches and I ended up putting it and then some back on.

Let's cheer each other on......
  • BrandNewMia
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story! I'm a newbie, too. So far, this forum is exactly what I was looking for!
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Welcome! It's gonna be rough! But there are people here to support you!
  • pcmoore
    pcmoore Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This is a FABULOUS place for support! I actually look forward to logging everyday. If you are having a bad day people here will support you though it! It's really a great site and has kept me going...I only started here this month and have been so pleased with the wonderful people I have met and how sincerely people actually care about others! I know you can do it and join the rest of us in this fight! Sounds like you've kicked a lot of other things right in the butt so you can do this too! ;)
  • safetyscott
    safetyscott Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I wana be your friend...youre awesome ! ...
  • Hadenuf
    Hadenuf Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the awesome welcome! Looking forward to getting to know all of you better during the daily battles we just LOVE fighting with ourselves! LOL
    ;)