SOOO.. the question is....

Options
I've heard both sides of the question.... any professional advice?

Do i eat the exercise calories? Or not?

Replies

• MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Eat half.
  • sandmart2009
    sandmart2009 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Good question.. Let's bump it!
  • audreyyrose
    Options
    eat at least half. eating all of them won't hurt you though.
  • happily
    happily Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Your best bet for finding both sides of the argument is to use the search button just above the topic of this thread to look for "exercise calories."
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    seriously? professional advice? here? i would go with half. just in case they are overestimated, but just so you don't starve yourself. or just listen to yourself, are you hungry? eat some. Are you not? dont.
  • Sheltie4
    Sheltie4 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Why not try eating all of them and see if you lose weight - if you do then all good. If you don't then perhaps eat half and see what happens.

The more calories you can have and still lose weight is the best way - easier to cut a little off when you get to the last couple of stubborn pounds.

I am a professional dieter with years of experience
    does that help!!
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    eat them.
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    What are exercise calories?
  • Bella1hud
    Bella1hud Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Eat 'em up! If you get into a habit of not eating them, your body will think that it is in starvation mode and will hang on tight to your fat stores even though you are eating "little" and exercising... It;s way more satisfying to eat the food needed and to lose weight at the same time :o)
  • Irish_Norwegian
    Options
    I don't eat mine.
  • nevergonnagiveup
    Options
    I agree with eating them up if you are exercising hard. Otherwise you may find you don't have the energy to burn, which in turn, can lead to frustration with exercising. Use those calories wisely. Think nutrition, not just numbers! This program has already worked out what you have asked to lose and the exercise calories are the bonus points!
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should eat them. When you are exercising your body needs the extra nutrition.
  • prencesskl
    Options
    I've been told from multiple sources to eat as many as you can, but don't go overboard. Your body will not lose weight if you don't eat enough calories, otherwise it will continue to store more and more fat and you will end up gaining rather than losing. I try to eat my regular alloted calories, and then 1/2 of the exercise ones, so I don't feel like I accomplished nothing. But the key is to use those calories on healthy choices, not chocolate bars lol
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    I've heard both sides of the question.... any professional advice?

Do i eat the exercise calories? Or not?

About half if you want to lose weight, all if you want to maintain. If you run or do strenuous exercise, drink protein shake within 45 minutes. My nutritionist didn't count the protein consumed within the 45 minutes towards the daily goal, because 90% of it was absorbed into the muscle anyway.
  • scubajp
    Options
    How could eating the exercise calories HURT you....I don't see how...I have been exercising and unsing the website the same amount of time, I feel that those are YOUR calories...do what you want to do with them REMEMBER not eating enough calories can be just as hurtful as eating too many...I am also down 5 lbs in just under 2 weeks..Hey...lets see what happens...anyone elce want to ring in on this issue?Jp
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Eat them. Your body needs the nutrition and fuel in order to function properly and burn fat.
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I just met with a nutritionist and fitness consultant through my work. He said that MFP calculates the number of calories daily based as if you weren't exercising and you should eat those calories earned by exercise so long as YOU HAVE AN ACCURATE EXERCISE BURNED CALORIE COUNT.
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Don't eat half... eat as many of them as you can. And make sure you set up your profile correctly.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Eat it up! When you workout, your muscles needs those calories to repair and survive. According to my nutritionist and fitness trainer, the reason behind storing fat when you are in starvation mode is that it only take very little to keep fat surviving, but take a lot to keep muscle. Therefore, when you skipping those workout calories, you are only starving your muscles, but keeping more fat.