Mini goals, and ideal weight question.

Options
Are these mini goals realistic? It's 1lb/wk. But it's kinda discouraging to me. Seems like it is going to take FOREVER to get this weight off!
Here are my mini goals
SW: 255 (I THINK I am 255. I'll confirm tomorrow AM)
MG#1: 245 by April 3rd. [HAPPY 4TH BIRTHDAY BABY GIRL!], 2011
MG#2: 230 by July 17th, 2011
MG#3: 215 by Oct. 30th [HAPPY BIRTHDAY BABE!], 2011
MG#4: 200 by Feb. 12th 2012
MG#5: 185 by May 27th [HAPPY 22nd BIRTHDAY TO ME!], 2012
MG#6: 170 by Sept. 9th, 2012
*!*!*!*!GOAL WEIGHT*!*!*!*!: 155 by Dec. 22, 2012 [HAPPY 3rd BIRTHDAY MY HANDSOME LITTLE MAN!]

Also. I am 5'9. What is my "ideal weight"? I was 170-180 at 16 years old, right before I conceived my daughter. I cannot remember a time that I was under that. Should I just get back to that? I don't have a picture of what I looked like at that weight. And all I can remember is thinking I was SO FAT! (Like most teenaged girls) So I am unsure what goal to shoot for!

Thanks in advance!

[ok I edited to make my final goal 155. Im not sure if I will make it though, because I may just have a heart attack once I get under 170! LOL]

Replies

• mbakken90
    mbakken90 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9 too. Our ideal goal weight is between 130-160. I used to weigh 150 while i was in high school and that was a fantastic weight. I was also an athlete though so i had a ton of muscle. 1 pound a week seems like a little bit in the long run it means you'll keep it off WAY LONGER then if you lost a ton of weight really really fast. Your goals can be realistic if you keep working hard at them and eating right. Just remember not to get discouraged if you don't lose it quite as fast as you want. Eventually it all will come off! :) Good luck with your goals. I know you can do it!!!
  • annie_p
    annie_p Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    1lb a week is not bad at all. And if you lose more/faster, it's even more motivation. I will say though, the first 25lbs for me came off pretty dang easy, we are pretty similar weight wise, but I'm about half a foot shorter.
  • SMJohnson27
    SMJohnson27 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I think the 1 pounds per week is reasonable. Not sure about the final goal weight. I getting back to pre-baby weight, and once I am there, and continue to excercise and eat right, if more comes off, yay! If not, I will still be happy. Oh, and my birthday is May 27th, too!!! Just keep up the positive attitude and motivation and your goal weight will be here before you know it!!
  • Belle_Fille
    Options
    2 years to get to 155!!! OH it seems like SO FAR AWAY!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    1 pound a week is realistic and healthy. I know it seems like it will take forever to get the weight off, but this isn't about fast weight loss. Your goal should really be to learn how to create healthy eating and exercise habits that you can live with for the rest of your life while still indulging now and then. Learn how to be a healthy example for your children. The weight loss will be more of a happy side effect of your new lifestyle.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I know my first 30 pounds came off fairly quickly, in about 3 months. Then it took about another 3 months to lose the next 15. The next 10 have taken another 3 months or so. The closer you get to healthy weight, the slower it comes off. I have also seen that while I may weigh more at a certain stage, I can be in a lot smaller clothing. In high school I was about 150 pounds and a size 12. Now I am 160 and in a size 8. I also have a lot more muscle than I did then. Set your goal by what you feel good at, and you can adjust it if you find you are happier earlier.

BTW, I am just over 5'8" and aiming for 150 as a goal. My healthy range is 125-164.
  • melissarforlife
    melissarforlife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'9. But I am older than you. I would pace yourself! We all have lives, but I think the key is putting down some rules for yourself, like no eating after ______pm. You decide. And have some supportive friends, even hubby? Anyhow, just keep going, changing your habits, and taking it one day at a time. I know the scale is a big deal to us, but don't focus on it too hard, focus on how you feel and how your clothes fit. We fluctuate so much, especially on our cycle.
    I wish you all the best, and use this site!!! Its so helpful! I love it :)
  • Belle_Fille
    Options
    I'm also 5'9. But I am older than you. I would pace yourself! We all have lives, but I think the key is putting down some rules for yourself, like no eating after ______pm. You decide. And have some supportive friends, even hubby? Anyhow, just keep going, changing your habits, and taking it one day at a time. I know the scale is a big deal to us, but don't focus on it too hard, focus on how you feel and how your clothes fit. We fluctuate so much, especially on our cycle.
    I wish you all the best, and use this site!!! Its so helpful! I love it :)
    boyfriend isnt too supportive. he says "you're not fat. you're just a mom!" hes over weight too, and snacks a lot. his meals are disgustingly bad for him (he will eat an entire can of chilli by himself) and he doesnt seem to want to become healthier.
    i wanted to lose weight and go on this journey with my step mother. but she says she has become "ok" and "happy" with her size. The thought of ME being HER size, and becomming OK/HAPPY with it scares me! I cant even be "ok" with the size I am now! much less add 75+ pounds to it!
    Which is why I am on MFP! You guys are all ive got! LOL

I'm really going to try my hardest though. boyfriend says we can try to baby #3 when our youngest starts preschool. also we arent engaged yet, but when the day comes, i want to look amazing for my wedding (which im hoping comes before my baby starts school) So I suppose I should look at it this way-
    if I follow my goals and do well, i will have gotten to my final goal weight before the baby starts school. hopefully there will be a wedding by then too, and then when we conceive baby #3, i can feel good about showing off the belly!
    When I think about it, it all works out. But just "glancing" at it, it seems like it will never happen (because its a long journey)