FOR THOSE STRUGGLING WITH EATING EXERCISE CALORIES OR NOT

Options
A quick search in the forums will bring up several different posts about the question of should someone eat back their exercise calories or not. And not too surprisingly, reading through these posts, one may seem overwhelmed and even more confused by the contradictory advice given by many users. I am writing this post in hopes to shed some light to some new users who wonder about this particular question and to the ones that are completely new to weight loss and don't exactly know how MFP works and how exactly to track weight loss. I hope by the end of this post, it will shed some light and sort out all this mixed advice for new users searching for answers.

The following comes from an article that completely changed my way of thinking about net calories and exercise calories.

You’re Thinking About This The Wrong Way

In fact, you have it all backwards. It’s really not a question of eating back the calories burned through exercise.

It’s a question of how do you want to create your deficit on a given day?

Do you want to eat a little more and create your deficit by burning a sufficient amount of calories through some form of exercise (larger output)?
Or, would you rather skip the exercise/burn less calories and create your deficit by eating a little less (lower intake)?
Or, would you rather do some combination of the two (eat a little less, burn a little more)?
That’s the only question here.

And if you choose some form of exercise, thinking of it as “eating back the calories burned” is backwards.

What you’re doing is eating an amount of calories, and then using exercise to burn enough of them to put yourself into the deficit you need to be in for fat loss to occur.

Here’s An Example

Let’s take an example woman named Jane.

Let’s pretend Jane estimated that she has a daily maintenance level of 2500 calories. This is the amount of calories she needs to eat per day to maintain her current weight (again, just an example). Since she’s trying to lose weight, she needs to end up below this maintenance level.

Doing so would put her into a caloric deficit, which forces her body to start burning some alternative fuel source (body fat) for energy instead. This, by the way, is the one and only cause of fat loss.

Jane has decided that she wants to create a deficit of 20% of her maintenance level because 20% seems to be the most commonly recommended deficit size by most people (myself included). Since 20% of 2500 is 500, Jane knows she needs to end up at a net calorie intake of 2000 calories.

To do this, she can eat 2000 calories today and taaadaaa… she did what she needs to do for fat loss to occur. No weights or cardio or workouts of any kind needed whatsoever. Her deficit was successfully created through diet alone. Good job, Jane.

Tomorrow however she will be doing some cardio. What kind? How much? Who cares… but it’s enough to end up burning 500 additional calories. In this case, she’d simply eat 2500 calories that day. Why? Because she will be burning 500 additional calories and creating her deficit with exercise instead. In the end, she’s at the same 2000 calories she needs to be at.

The next day, she’ll be doing some other form of exercise (let’s say weight training). Nothing fancy, just a basic workout that will end up burning about 250 calories. In this case, she’d eat 2250 calories that day. Why? Because when she eats 2250 and then burns 250 additional calories from her workout that day… she’ll end up at that same 2000 calories she’s trying to end up at.

So she’s not “eating back the calories burned” in these last two examples. She’s simply eating an amount of calories that works in tandem with the amount of calories she’s burning to allow her to create the deficit she’s trying to create.

But What If She Did Both?

Now in these last two examples, could Jane have STILL eaten 2000 calories and then STILL burned those additional calories from exercise? Yeah, she could have. In that case, her total net deficit would just end up being more than the 20% below maintenance she intended for it to be.

Is that a problem? With all else being equal, no.

But all else isn’t always equal when it comes to sustainable fat loss. For example, if it’s going from something like the intended 20% deficit up to maybe a 21-25% deficit instead on those days, it’s usually no big deal. The larger the deficit becomes however, the more potentially problematic it might be.

No, Jane won’t go into “starvation mode.” Hell, even if the deficit went significantly higher than that, starvation mode still ain’t happening.

So then the question becomes… why not do that? Rather than eating at her maintenance level (or higher) on the days Jane will be using exercise to create her deficit, why not eat below maintenance — the 2000 calories she needs to be at to create her 20% deficit — and then use exercise to burn additional calories and create an even larger deficit beyond that?

If the dreaded “starvation mode” isn’t going to happen, why not do this? It will make fat loss happen faster for her, won’t it?

Indeed it will. Larger deficit = faster fat loss.

So, why in the holy hell shouldn’t Jane do this? Two reasons.

First, because she set out to create a deficit of 20% below maintenance. Not 22%, not 25%, not 30% or more. She made a plan based on a deficit of 20% being her ideal target, and she should stick to her plan. Why? Because that’s what plans are for… being stuck to.
Second, because there’s a reason that her planned 20% deficit is so commonly recommended in the first place for the average person trying to lose weight. Because it’s not too small, and not too big. It’s typically just right for most people. It takes what’s good about a smaller deficit and what’s good about a larger deficit, and avoids the downsides of each. Basically, a moderate-sized 20% deficit strikes the perfect balance between the achieved rate of fat loss, the amount of time and effort required, short term and long term sustainability, maintaining training performance, maintaining strength, maintaining muscle, and minimizing or preventing the various other issues that make fat loss hard and annoying (no, still not “starvation mode” but rather things like hunger, mood, hormonal issues, adaptive thermogenesis, etc.).
So could Jane create her entire 20% deficit through her diet, and then use exercise to create an even larger deficit on top of it? Yeah, she certainly could.

Should she? That’s honestly something that will depend on the size of the deficit that would be created this way (just a bit bigger, or a lot bigger?), how often it would be happening (some days, or most days?), and how each individual person would be affected by it both physiologically and psychologically.

For many, I’d say they probably shouldn’t. No, it’s STILL not because of “starvation mode” or any other such nonsense.

It’s because doing so would put you into a deficit larger than the 20% (or whatever) that you deemed appropriate and ideal for yourself. And logic dictates that if you stray from something that is ideal, things are likely to become less ideal.

With fat loss, this means things will become harder, more annoying and more potentially problematic (see #2 above). Which is exactly why this 20% deficit IS the recommendation for what’s “ideal” in the first place (and not 30%, 35% or whatever else), and why many people would probably be best served to avoid exceeding it.

So, should you eat back the calories burned through exercise? The answer isn’t yes or no. The answer is stop thinking about it this way.

What you’re doing is using your calorie intake (your diet) and calorie output (your workout) together in whatever the hell way you prefer to ensure that you end up in the total net deficit you need to be in for fat loss to occur.

FOR THOSE USING THE MFP METHOD:
If you are going by what MFP tells you to eat, great! Eat that number everyday and track your exercise. You will see the results if you are consistent with your diet and exercise regime.

FOR THOSE USING TDEE METHOD:
1. Figure out what is your intake required to neither gain or lose weight. (search calculate BMR on Google)
2. Visit http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ and determine what is your physical activity level, input your data and choose percentage of weight loss wanted and IIFYM will determine how many calories per day you need to eat to lose weight. When logging you have already taken in consideration your daily exercise, unless you go above and beyond what your physical activity level is do not log your exercise and simply focus on reaching your daily intake goal.

In any case logging your exercise should just be seen as a general figure and not a precise number of calories to eat back... in fact that question should not even be considered since exercise and diet go hand in hand to add to an overall deficit and should not be taken individually. Wether you achieve your deficit by food, by exercise or by both, it is still a deficit and the deficit should still be the same as you plan to follow.

I really hope this helps some lost souls out there... I know some information can be confusing for new users when there is so much controversy on the same exact subject.

Replies

• Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    People love to complicate things.

If you have a regular workout schedule then there's really no need to worry about eating back or logging exercise calories. Just eat the same amount of calories every day and stick to your workout schedule.

Take me for example. I work out 3x a week every week, have been for the past 10 months or so. I don't log it and don't worry about "eating back" these exercise calories. I'm just consistent with my routine, I consistently eat the same amount of calories each day, and I've lost over 65lbs. I haven't lost one single minute in 10 months thinking or overthinking "eating back" anything. Keep it simple.

Remember: As long as you're consistent with your exercise and eating habits then you will accomplish your goals.

Now I can see where tracking exercise calories might be important to some people though, if they regularly cheat or overeat. But IMO they should just work on their self control which is what is most important.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options

If you have a regular workout schedule then there's really no need to worry about eating back or logging exercise calories. Just eat the same amount of calories every day and stick to your workout schedule.

Take me for example. I work out 3x a week every week, have been for the past 10 months or so. I don't log it and don't worry about "eating back" these exercise calories. I'm just consistent with my routine, I consistently eat the same amount of calories each day, and I've lost over 65lbs. I haven't lost one single minute in 10 months thinking or overthinking "eating back" anything. Keep it simple.

Remember: As long as you're consistent with your exercise and eating habits then you will accomplish your goals.

Now I can see where tracking exercise calories might be important to some people though, if they regularly cheat or overeat. But IMO they should just work on their self control which is what is most important.

+1.

eat less and exercise more.
    find it totally counter intuitive to "eat back" cals.
    my doc even laughed at why i would dream of doing so,as i was in rude health relatively speaking.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's lack of self control if you exercise instead of eating less to achieve your target deficit. It's still discipline, just a different kind of discipline.

I prefer to eat more and exercise because that allows me to fit a wider variety of foods into my diet, and a wider variety of foods means a greater chance that I won't be missing some micro-nutrient or trace element over the long term.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Nice article, that's exactly how I think of it.

No, it's a matter of understanding how MFP works, which too many people seem not to understand.

Yes, this method works great, but you still have to decide how to set the goal in the first place, especially before you get started and know what you are losing on a certain number of calories. That's what MFP sets up for you, and MFP sets it up for you assuming no exercise, so you have to learn how to adjust it if you do exercise. Is this complicated? No, not really, but that's why the discussion about eating back.

Sounds like you use a different method which like I said is great, but doesn't especially help those trying to figure out their calorie goal with the MFP method.

It has nothing to do with "cheating." It's how MFP is set up and was explained well in the original post.

What you do: eat a certain number of calories that represents a reasonable deficit from your maintenance, based on your stats and your workout schedule.

What "eating back" is: allowing people who set up a goal based on their maintenance if they did not work out at all and their stats to adjust the goal if in fact they are working out.

The result of both methods should be identical. The result of not adjusting your calories in the second situation would be to have a much greater deficit than you would typically set up if you included exercise upfront.

Is there a benefit to "eating back" exercise instead of just including it upfront? Sure, here are some examples: (1) if you can't say for sure how much you will be exercising or are inconsistent, and don't want to set your calorie goal too high based on exercise you might not really do; (2) if you exercise a lot harder some days than others and your hunger varies; or (3) you like having some higher and some lower calorie days.

To suggest that someone who starts with a deficit of 1000 (and let's be honest--that's the deficit the vast majority of newbies probably ask for) and then eats back exercise calories to achieve a calorie-based deficit of, say, 700, plus an extra 300 through exercise is somehow "cheating" or lacks willpower because she did not just ignore MFP's actual program and go for what would be a deficit of 1300 is silly. And based on the numbers you gave, you--quite reasonably--don't yourself have such an extreme deficit, so why are you suggesting that people who "eat back" calories to in essence come to the same ends through different means (a reasonable deficit that would mean 2 lb or less per month loss rate on average) are weak or whatever?

Like you said, it's really NOT that complicated, so I am mystified by the number of comments that suggest people don't understand it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

As explained in the original post (am I crazy to think normally one would read it before responding?), "eating back" calories, if you understand how MFP works, means creating a deficit based on a combination of exercise and calorie cutting, what most reasonable people, including medical professionals, recommend to those capable of exercise.
    my doc even laughed at why i would dream of doing so,as i was in rude health relatively speaking.

Does your doctor understand how MFP works? Or does your doctor think that the average person trying to lose weight, regardless of size, should cut calories by 1000 and then exercise on top of that, for a deficit that exceeds the typically recommended 2 lbs/week for those not under a doctor's care.
  • chezzac17
    chezzac17 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the detailed information I was getting confused,Great timing for me..Thanks again.
    Regards,
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    "Eating back" is simply keeping the deficit consistent, yeah. I see what you're saying and agree with you. I would personally recommend people aiming for the lowest possible intake on MFP (1200 cals) to eat back at least some of their exercise calories and to try to NET at least 1200 calories unless advised otherwise by a medical professional, but yeah, however you get to your intended deficit goal.

I personally do closer to TDEE-20% myself and don't eat back exercise, and am finding instead of eating a little less when I rest and a little more when I move, my daily intake is constant, my NET bounces all over the place, but the rate of loss is about the same (well, actually it was kinda more than normal this week but I could have just been a little dehydrated when I weighed in, heh). It all comes out in the wash anyway for me.

It takes all kinds. Both ways work, neither way is too complicated, it all depends on what works better for you and your body (some people, for example, NEED a little more on heavy workout days for energy's sake whereas for me, at least, I guess I'm eating enough consistently that I'm not having energy spikes and valleys).
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    If what you are doing is working for you that's great. If it stops working for you then you need to rethink it.

The article is useful and i'm sure will help many people but i think it underemphasises a couple of things.

1. If your deficit is too large, i.e. larger than the ideal 20% it will be harder to sustain for a number of reasons but the main will be you will be very hungry. Maybe not in the beginning. Maybe not every day but on balance you will be a lot hungrier and start to take liberties with your diet and this will lead to quitting. The smaller the deficit the easier the program is to sustain. for me a deficit of 500 calories below my TDEE is too much. I avoid hunger. I don't like it. Other things cause hunger though such as stress, tiredness, depression and so on. If you are feeling hungry then you need to tease out the cause and address it.

2. The starvation mode myth - so called. I am not going to enter a debate about it. I am just going to address it. The reason why everyone is calling it a myth is because it seems people have misunderstood the concept and/or misrepresented it. So it is a term better forgotten. But the fact is that once you lose about 10% of your body weight or is it body fat (i forget), you will start to experience some or all of effects of starvation mode. The effects of starvation mode is slower metabolism, increased appetite and find eating a bit more will not be enough to satisfy you, lethargy, feeling cold and your immune system will weaken because now you are undernourished (unless you are taking effective supplementation) and will start to get sick more often. Your health will start to weaken. This is not going to be dramatic in most people. This will be an insidious experience of less than optimal health and body functioning. The fact is our bodies need a certain number of calories and nutrients to function optimally and anything less will have effects. Its just basic.

The thing is some people will start to experience the hunger and lethargy and maybe other symptoms at a fairly high weight. Their weightloss will stall for a longish period - a few weeks, some say about a month despite how closely they stick to their plan. They will still be fat when they start to experience some of these symptoms. And will understandably be confused about what's going on. That's when they start to panic and doing crazy things like drastically reducing their calories even more or drastically increasing their exercise. These are precisely the wrong things to do. They only exacerbate the problem.

This is because they've been overweight a long time and their body has adjusted to this. This is about set-point. Our bodies have a certain genetically determined ideal body weight which is our ultimate set-point. At the our ideal set point we should be able to maintain our current weight easily. It should be comfortable and not involve obsessively watching our calories or forcing ourselves to go out running in the rain and so on. Being overweight for a long time raises our set-point. So that the weight at which can comfortably maintain is higher to a great or lesser degree than our ideal set point.

When we start to lose weight, we may also have to work at reducing our current set point. The way to do that is to stabilise our weight for a period of time when we start to experience these starvation mode symptoms (hunger, lethargy, finding it hard to lose more weight etc) Patience is required more than ever now and persistence (persistence with eating nutritiously. Some people recommend about six months. Others say its less. The fact is that its probably going to be a variable length of time for each person. And you may have to go through this exercise of reducing your set point more than once to reach your ideal low weight. This is why the more you have to lose the longer it will take and why patience is required.

You should halt your losing phase when you find you have to work really hard to maintain your own idea of your ideal weight or your current weight. If that happens and you prefer to be comfortable with your new low weight, eat more and let your weight increase gradually until you can settle into a weight that's comfortable to maintain. This should be considerably less than where you started at the beginning of your journey and only a little bit more than where you are when you hit this road bump. Rest here at this point until all your symptoms leave you. Then you can start trying to go lower. when the symptoms reappear, stop, eat more, increase your weight a little and relax for some time until the symptoms leave again.

Also whenever you hit your set point, the antidote is to eat a bit more. You will not rapidly gain weight if you are eating only a bit more and eat to satiety. This is not permission to start overeating or bringing back a lot of unhealthy foods. To reach your ideal body weight and be happy with it. its essential to eat a lot of nutritious foods all the time. That means whole foods, not processed stuff.

Which brings me to another small point. Its a great deal easier to lose weight and keep off the flab if you eat nutritiously all the time. I see most people trying to lose weight do not do this. Obviously they think are but from where i sit, most people are still eating tons of processed foods and their diets are not varied enough. You want to maximise nutrition so that you body can function better.

If you want to read more about this approach to losing weight, i strongly recommend you read THE DON'T GO HUNGRY DIET BY DR AMANDA SAINSBURY-SALIS who is a scientist working with all these issues around hormones and body weight, weightloss, obesity and so on. She's been in the field all of her career and has had her own weight issues to negotiate. she also councils overweight people and people with eating disorders. She also educates doctors and has her own research lab at one of australia's top universities. Her books are well written and she explains her strategies throughly.

Her key ideas that i like in the books are : the famine reaction, set point and fat break - which is all around what i i've just been talking about

The success diary which is using hunger and satiety ratings which is an intuitive eating approach. i use it and still count calories though as just relying on the ratings will ensure quite slow weight loss.

Eating a wide range of whole foods - more than 30 foods types every week. There is research on this that she refers to also.

What the book doesn't address is the psychology of losing weight. I found someone else who writes about that. Another Australian, a psychiatrist called Dr George Blair-West but there are other books that you may find more easily. Judith Beck has one that takes the CBT approach. Its probably very good but i haven't read it. There's Brain over Binge which is popular and no doubt others.

My tip with regard to that is to address stress as soon as it appear. I do it by finding a councillor if i can't figure things out myself.

Its vital to get some psychological understanding and use tools as part of your weightloss approach.
  • cw106
    Options

As explained in the original post (am I crazy to think normally one would read it before responding?), "eating back" calories, if you understand how MFP works, means creating a deficit based on a combination of exercise and calorie cutting, what most reasonable people, including medical professionals, recommend to those capable of exercise.

Does your doctor understand how MFP works? Or does your doctor think that the average person trying to lose weight, regardless of size, should cut calories by 1000 and then exercise on top of that, for a deficit that exceeds the typically recommended 2 lbs/week for those not under a doctor's care.

to answer your part quoted questions

yes i have a basic understanding of how mfp works.just as i understand how dieting and exercise works for me.
    my youngish doc is tech aware and knows of mfp also.she reviewed my defecit /stats as recorded.she was notdealing with an average person,but with a specific patient with a huge amount of detailed info to guide her.
    i ask and take advice from my medical proffesionals. and am happy with that.
    not all situations have. a " one size fits all" answer.

as someone who has lost a huge amount of weight,which is to be applauded,i would hope you agree thats whats good for me isnt always right for another.
    keep up the good fight.
  • chezzac17
    chezzac17 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi ,I have been using MFP for about a month and only lost app 1KG and a bit...I am on 1200 cal a day,swim app 5 times a week for 40-45 mins.....sometimes I eat these exercise cal back and sometimes don't ,sometimes Im out for dinner and have wine so Im over cal for the day....

Do you think because I have these over cal days is the reason Im not loosing weight?

Im going to add that Im very very honest with what I eat and put into MFP..

Any help is appreciated..

Thanks
  • cw106
    Options
    If what you are doing is working for you that's great. If it stops working for you then you need to rethink it.

The article is useful and i'm sure will help many people but i think it underemphasises a couple of things.

1. If your deficit is too large, i.e. larger than the ideal 20% it will be harder to sustain for a number of reasons but the main will be you will be very hungry. Maybe not in the beginning. Maybe not every day but on balance you will be a lot hungrier and start to take liberties with your diet and this will lead to quitting. The smaller the deficit the easier the program is to sustain. for me a deficit of 500 calories below my TDEE is too much. I avoid hunger. I don't like it. Other things cause hunger though such as stress, tiredness, depression and so on. If you are feeling hungry then you need to tease out the cause and address it.

2. The starvation mode myth - so called. I am not going to enter a debate about it. I am just going to address it. The reason why everyone is calling it a myth is because it seems people have misunderstood the concept and/or misrepresented it. So it is a term better forgotten. But the fact is that once you lose about 10% of your body weight or is it body fat (i forget), you will start to experience some or all of effects of starvation mode. The effects of starvation mode is slower metabolism, increased appetite and find eating a bit more will not be enough to satisfy you, lethargy, feeling cold and your immune system will weaken because now you are undernourished (unless you are taking effective supplementation) and will start to get sick more often. Your health will start to weaken. This is not going to be dramatic in most people. This will be an insidious experience of less than optimal health and body functioning. The fact is our bodies need a certain number of calories and nutrients to function optimally and anything less will have effects. Its just basic.

The thing is some people will start to experience the hunger and lethargy and maybe other symptoms at a fairly high weight. Their weightloss will stall for a longish period - a few weeks, some say about a month despite how closely they stick to their plan. They will still be fat when they start to experience some of these symptoms. And will understandably be confused about what's going on. That's when they start to panic and doing crazy things like drastically reducing their calories even more or drastically increasing their exercise. These are precisely the wrong things to do. They only exacerbate the problem.

This is because they've been overweight a long time and their body has adjusted to this. This is about set-point. Our bodies have a certain genetically determined ideal body weight which is our ultimate set-point. At the our ideal set point we should be able to maintain our current weight easily. It should be comfortable and not involve obsessively watching our calories or forcing ourselves to go out running in the rain and so on. Being overweight for a long time raises our set-point. So that the weight at which can comfortably maintain is higher to a great or lesser degree than our ideal set point.

When we start to lose weight, we may also have to work at reducing our current set point. The way to do that is to stabilise our weight for a period of time when we start to experience these starvation mode symptoms (hunger, lethargy, finding it hard to lose more weight etc) Patience is required more than ever now and persistence (persistence with eating nutritiously. Some people recommend about six months. Others say its less. The fact is that its probably going to be a variable length of time for each person. And you may have to go through this exercise of reducing your set point more than once to reach your ideal low weight. This is why the more you have to lose the longer it will take and why patience is required.

You should halt your losing phase when you find you have to work really hard to maintain your own idea of your ideal weight or your current weight. If that happens and you prefer to be comfortable with your new low weight, eat more and let your weight increase gradually until you can settle into a weight that's comfortable to maintain. This should be considerably less than where you started at the beginning of your journey and only a little bit more than where you are when you hit this road bump. Rest here at this point until all your symptoms leave you. Then you can start trying to go lower. when the symptoms reappear, stop, eat more, increase your weight a little and relax for some time until the symptoms leave again.

Also whenever you hit your set point, the antidote is to eat a bit more. You will not rapidly gain weight if you are eating only a bit more and eat to satiety. This is not permission to start overeating or bringing back a lot of unhealthy foods. To reach your ideal body weight and be happy with it. its essential to eat a lot of nutritious foods all the time. That means whole foods, not processed stuff.

Which brings me to another small point. Its a great deal easier to lose weight and keep off the flab if you eat nutritiously all the time. I see most people trying to lose weight do not do this. Obviously they think are but from where i sit, most people are still eating tons of processed foods and their diets are not varied enough. You want to maximise nutrition so that you body can function better.

If you want to read more about this approach to losing weight, i strongly recommend you read THE DON'T GO HUNGRY DIET BY DR AMANDA SAINSBURY-SALIS who is a scientist working with all these issues around hormones and body weight, weightloss, obesity and so on. She's been in the field all of her career and has had her own weight issues to negotiate. she also councils overweight people and people with eating disorders. She also educates doctors and has her own research lab at one of australia's top universities. Her books are well written and she explains her strategies throughly.

Her key ideas that i like in the books are : the famine reaction, set point and fat break - which is all around what i i've just been talking about

The success diary which is using hunger and satiety ratings which is an intuitive eating approach. i use it and still count calories though as just relying on the ratings will ensure quite slow weight loss.

Eating a wide range of whole foods - more than 30 foods types every week. There is research on this that she refers to also.

What the book doesn't address is the psychology of losing weight. I found someone else who writes about that. Another Australian, a psychiatrist called Dr George Blair-West but there are other books that you may find more easily. Judith Beck has one that takes the CBT approach. Its probably very good but i haven't read it. There's Brain over Binge which is popular and no doubt others.

My tip with regard to that is to address stress as soon as it appear. I do it by finding a councillor if i can't figure things out myself.

Its vital to get some psychological understanding and use tools as part of your weightloss approach.

thankyou for taking the time and effort to type out such a cohesive and educational response.
    simply outstanding.
    you have helped at least one person on their journey.

much appreciated.
  • director841
    director841 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    At the risk of complicating this further...

I also have wondered about to use the goal calories, food calories, exercise calories and remaining calories calculations to ensure I am meeting my goals. With MFP, I tend to be under my daily calorie goal because of how much I exercise. It helped when I determined my weight maintenance calculation, my active weight loss calculation and my very active weigh loss calculation. I used this link to get these numbers: http://caloriecount.about.com/

I have learned that if I stay around 1,975 while being very active I will reach my weight loss goal. Knowing this number will help me going forward.