Frustrated!!!!

Options
Have posted on here a few times with great help from everyone, but I am at a point for the first time in 1 1/2 years that I'm about to pack it in!!! I have lost over 185 pounds since beginning this total transformation in November of 2012. This is the best thing I have ever done, no trick diet, no surgery and no magic pill just excersise and learning to eat right. My intial goal was 60 pounds, then 100, then 150 and finally after toping the scale at 392 pounds I wanted to get to 199. I was holding 203 for the past couple of weeks and I do understand after all of the wieght loss I don't have much left to lose, but anyone that has gone through this knows that when you set that goal nothing matters. I work out with wieghts three times a week and do cardio at least 4 times, been running a 5K series this summer and in the month of August increased my average weekly run miles from 12 to 25 just to see if I could get 100 miles in August, i completed this yesterday. My burning question is any help please, I have somehow begun to gain weight in the last week, I way weekly on Wednesdays and everyone know how emotioanl that can be, but as of this week i have gained 3.3 pounds!!!! HOW, WHY i have looked over everything i have done, could the big increase in running have done this??? PLEASE OFFER ANY HELP

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    yeah could be water retention from longer runs.

give it a couple of weeks doing what you're doing and drink plenty of water!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You've lost 185 but then gained 3 in a week and because of that want to give up? Take a step back think of what you've already achieved give it some perspective. 3 pounds is nothing compared to what you have lost. In all likelihood its just a normal fluctuation (you can fluctuate up to 5 pounds a day). Increasing your mileage could be the cause or many other factors. Take a step back calm down and continue what your doing because 185 pounds says it works. Don't focus so much on the numbers but more on how you feel and what you've achieved. I probably have around 14 pounds to go but I have stopped weighing myself so often because I know it will be slow going and the fluctuations will have a more obvious effect so why stress about it is my thought I weigh every 6 weeks or so just to make sure i'm on track and make adjustments if needed my goal isn't a specific number though its to be and stay healthy

Congratulations on your loss and fantastic achievement
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Wow. Do not give up...you have come so incredibly far. I can not believe a 3 lb gain on the scale, which could be caused by so many factors has you defeated!! You do not get to where you are with that sort of mindset to set-backs.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    yeah could be water retention from longer runs.

give it a couple of weeks doing what you're doing and drink plenty of water!

This.

You increased your exercise these past couple weeks, so it's very likely your muscles are retaining water for repair. Give it some time to go down and keep drinking lots of water.
  • kaatelisa
    Options
    Think it is water retention. That happens. Don't loose sight of your goal.You can do it.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    1st congrats on your success. Very impressive indeed.

2nd, does you answer exist in your question grasshopper. Maybe.

You said that you've increased your running (burning more calories) but how did you change your eating? Are you net calories running below 1200 a day now? I can't see what your eating so I can't be sure but you may have caused your issue.
    Also running 100 miles in a month is admirable but you can also be tapping into the muscle you work so hard to build.

I was stuck at 203 for 17 days when I was trying to break the 200 lb mark so I know your frustration. Hear this (and I know your just venting), quitting won't get you to 199. Backing off the running and looking at your diet may. Best of luck and I hope I've helped in some small way.

Oh yeah, how's I break my 203? Zig Zag Diet my friend...google it.
    Michael
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss so far. That's awesome!

But you need to be practical and realistic. Weight fluctuates. You could be retaining fluid from exercise. You might have had quite a bit of salty food. I can vary 5lbs in one day.

Throwing a fit and wanting to give up because of a very normal occurrence for most of us is pretty silly. Keep working towards your goal and understand that the scale doesn't always move the way you want it to, but that doesn't mean you aren't making progress.
  • drepublic
    drepublic Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Many people on these forums want to be where you are now...so congrats on your weight loss so far my friend.

I've been stuck at 202 lbs for two weeks 2 years ago on a weight loss journey. At this point I started looking harder at what I was eating...and I even considered my coffee creamer...yep. When I measured my poor I realized I was putting 3 tbl spoons in and not 1. So 100+ calories per day 7 days a week in my morning coffee. A 200 lb person will burn 600+ calories in about an hour with moderate exercise...so my simply not pouring coffee creamer in my morning coffee is like doing a free workout and a half on the week.

How well are you tracking calories? Are you weighing out your foods yet? Do you own a food ounce scale? I purchased one after being stuck at 202 lbs...and my eyes were opened to what I was really eating. And I pushed passed this plateau.

Based on your workouts listed above and your current weight you'd lose a lb per week eating 2300 calories per day if you burned 600 calories in 6 workouts in a week.

You are probably eating a caloric level to maintain your weight...or this is water. Roll up your sleaves and dig in and switch up your diet or exercise.