whole 30 question

Options
I'm planning on starting Whole 30 after Labor day vacation... I was wondering for those who do whole 30 do you track your food and try to stay within your calorie range or do you just eat whole 30 complaint and not track... I'm not sure which is best to do.. also if anyone who is whole 30 wants to friends that would be great

Replies

• mandez19
    mandez19 Posts: 179
    Options
    Not sure what Whole 30 is but if it has no restrictions on how much you can eat you can gain weight if you eat more than your body needs. if it has restrictions on how many calories you can eat, you should make sure you are getting enough based on your goals.
  • alisidewinder06
    alisidewinder06 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You're not really suppose to track your calories while on it. The point of it isn't really weightloss its to eat and live heathlier. It's suppose to give you piece of mind and for you not to focus on calories, carbs, etc. so if you're doing it to eat healtier don't track, if you're just doing it to lose weight then track. It's up to you though.
  • BennettV72
    Options
    You're not supposed to track cals on it, but I did. I had a problem with ceasing to eat when I'm full, especially if it's delicious. And let me tell you, those Well Fed recipes are amazing!

If you were to count cals while on it, please don't pay attention to the MFP default macros. You will definitely be over on fat and protein and likely under on carbs.

That being said, it's totally changed my life. I didn't realize a reality existed where I wasn't hungry all the time. It's been amazing! Good luck, if you decide to do it!
  • ChristenSchwiegerath
    Options
    This is the FODmap diet given to people with stomach issues ie.....me.
  • lks802
    lks802 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I did the Whole 30 before, and you aren't supposed to track calories. I didn't and lost 16 lbs in a month. If you don't stay paleo-ish after you are done, you can gain back (because you are probably going back to a high carb diet unintentionally).

Agree with a previous poster, if you do track, do not let the fat and protein amounts put you off. Whole 30, which is just a really strict form of paleo, is almost effectively a high fat, low carb diet. The volumes of veggies you eat should be very ample. If you find you are only doing meats and nuts and little veggies, re-evaluate. The beauty in the paleo style of eating the lack of counting, but sticking to the principles means you eat healthy proteins and lots and lots of different types of veggies.

I've battled my weight with ups and downs over the years, and I've tried several types of diets (atkins, south beach, weight watchers, etc) and I've found paleo-ish the most sustainable for me. First, if you stick to eating only whole foods and not processed/packaged stuff (snack bars, boxed meals, etc) that's a huge step for weight loss.

Whole 30 was a really good experience for me, but I have yet to feel the need to do another. If I feel I need tweaking, I just button up my paleo with going pretty clean rather than 80/20. Right now, I'm trying to lose weight, so I'm on a "low carb" paleo, meaning I'm eating clean, but I'm trying to keep my net carbs low for loss.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on starting Whole 30 after Labor day vacation... I was wondering for those who do whole 30 do you track your food and try to stay within your calorie range or do you just eat whole 30 complaint and not track... I'm not sure which is best to do.. also if anyone who is whole 30 wants to friends that would be great

Anyone else find that Whole30 is nothing more then Paleo -renamed ???
  • AJSMmom
    AJSMmom Posts: 14
    Options

Anyone else find that Whole30 is nothing more then Paleo -renamed ???

to a degree cause with whole 30 your avoiding sugars too.. paleo you can make lots of paleoified treats... I want to go paleo after but I need to work on decreasing my sugar dependency...