Do I eat back excercise calories ?

Options
Can anyone advise me as I don't know if I am supposed to eat back exercise calories or just leve them? Do you lose weight faster if you don't eat them back ...I do my treadmill every night at an incline of 7 walking very fast for an hour...have started to actually log my food again and want to do this properly ..what should I do ? Thanks

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you're using MFP figures you should eat back at least a portion of them.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back my exercise calories. What I do and what I recommend to people is to eat at a calorie level that allows you to drop 1-2 lbs/week. This assumes an average calorie burn from you getting in all of your workouts. This will be different for everyone, so you'll have to do some trial and error to figure it out. I'd start ~1600 cal/day. Hit this goal, along with your macros and getting in your workouts, for a week. If you lose 1-2 lbs, you're good to go. If you lose too much, increase your intake and repeat. If you don't lose enough, reduce your intake a bit and repeat. After a few weeks, you'll figure out what works for you in your situation.

I took a quick look at your diary, and you are not eating enough. Doing low intensity cardio on an extreme calorie deficit (~<1000 cal/day) is a sure way to repress your metabolism. Please watch this video that discusses this topic.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHzie6XRGk

Allan
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    MFP is set up so you eat back the exercise calories. The calories burned in the data base are usually high, so most people eat back only half to three quarters of them, which compensates for any errors in calculations when inputting calories.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    if you're using MFP figures you should eat back at least a portion of them.

This
  • jennybinney1987
    jennybinney1987 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    ive never eaten back my work out calories. I think MFP WAAAAAAAAAY over estimates how much you lose anyways. I feel if I eat back my calories im just eatin back what I just worked off. just don't make sense to me
  • BlueStarBoi
    BlueStarBoi Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I never eat back my workout calories and i lose weight every week.
  • jennybinney1987
    jennybinney1987 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I lose weight every week too. ive lost 16 pounds in less than 60 days :)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    ^^^To both of your situations, it's like comparing apples to soccer balls when you say you don't eat back exercise cals to the OP. Your tickers indicate 135lbs and 71lbs to lose, respectively, the OPs indicates 2.2lbs.

If OP is truly 2.2lbs from goal weight, exercise calories is much more important to them in that situation than yours.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    ^^^To both of your situations, it's like comparing apples to soccer balls when you say you don't eat back exercise cals to the OP. Your tickers indicate 135lbs and 71lbs to lose, respectively, the OPs indicates 2.2lbs.

If OP is truly 2.2lbs from goal weight, exercise calories is much more important to them in that situation than yours.

^^^^^This^^^^^^

I would recommend a couple other posters in this thread read that link. When you are a heavier weight you have more latitude to do things wrong but they still seem to work, but as you get closer to goal it becomes more important to follow a proven program.
  • sansen78
    sansen78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have noticed if I have a deficit of more than 500 cal (which is mainly the calories I burn during exercise), MFP syas that my metabolism would be compromised.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

OP is already a healthy weight and wants to lose more... to get to a specific scale number regardless of body composition....
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    if you're doing the MFP "method"...then yes, you eat them back. there are several articles here that explain it...but the bottom line is...yes, it works, you need the nutrition, don't assume faster is better. take care of your body, it's the only one you get.
  • JordanMK_
    JordanMK_ Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I would just say follow your body, eat 3 healthy meals per day and eat healthy snacks in between. Drink enough water and exercise enough. Don't rely too much on the figures but they're surely helpful.
  • dianesheart88
    dianesheart88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    bump -
  • RGv2
    Options

OP is already a healthy weight and wants to lose more... to get to a specific scale number regardless of body composition....

Fair, but it's only 2 lbs and I didn't see anything in the thread calling out ht/wt.
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise calories back.
  • RGv2
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise calories back.

Apples to soccer balls.....makes more sense before your edit, but whateve's
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I found that eating back even a portion of my exercise calories meant that I didn't actually 'lose' any weight and I ended up losing and regaining the same 2lbs for a couple of months - very frustrating. Now I have set my calorie goal myself based on TDEE-20% and I don't log actual exercise, only food, and I'm now losing steadily every week.

That being said, we're all different and if eating back exercise calories works for you then I'm jealous that you get to eat more, but good luck!
  • jnmpickering
    jnmpickering Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do eat my exercise calories back, but I use the Polar heart rate monitor when I exercise to get a good approximation of calories burned. Then, when I enter the exercise in MFP, I log on the low side of the numbers since the Polar and MFP don't usually match up exact.