Waking up in the Morning

Options
In the past year I have given birth, gained 75lbs (on top of my already heavy weight) after the birth of my son, was diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer, beat thyroid cancer, lost my grandmother, received the news that my mother has ALS, am the soul income for my house hold, and I manage to still have a semi normal social life.

I did all of this, why the hell can't I get out of bed in the morning!!?? I go to bed early, I get 7-8 hours of sleep, but I constantly turn off my alarm, or ignore it.

I am going to try putting my alarm in the kitchen so I have to get up to turn it off, but I am really about to lose it.

How does everyone else get up early in the morning? It's the ideal time for me to exercise, plus take my medication and walk my dog.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I downloaded an app called Sleep as Android- and the different alarms have different ways they turn off- one you have to shake it - one is math- one is a bunch of sleepy sheep- but one's awake- and you have to figure out which one is the awake one and pick him (they move).

It's helped- it's not perfect- but it's helped. I mostly am just tired ALL the time- I never get enough sleep - and I'm always hungry.

so it's a constant battle for me.

I do keep an alarm in my bathroom and my kitchen- but neither of them works- my really loud alarm- old school with the two big ringer knobs at the top- it works- but scares the **** out of my cats- so I don't use it because I feel so bad when they jump up and run around all panicked.

Congrats on your accomplishments by the way- your' a trooper!
  • jms1739
    jms1739 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I had thyroid cancer and had it successfully removed, and congrats on beating it. It could be due to this. Have you had your vitamin D levels checked? Mine were super low, that is just a thought. Or are you working out on a regular basis, this helps a lot with the energy level. I would say though if nothing helps or changes, I would go see your Dr. it could be something hormonal.

But it could also be just all the stressful things you are dealing with, could be draining you, and maybe bringing you down a bit. Hang in there.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Wow, you've been through a lot, well done for getting through it!

How do I get up in the morning? Usually because my three year old comes barging into our bedroom demanding breakfast! Then my baby wakes up. Then my 5 year old does.

Maybe it's because of the thyroid that you feel more tired? Does your medication need changing?

Aside from that, maybe set two alarms, or put an alarm out of reach. I used to do that when I started my first job out of university!
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Have you had your vitamin D levels checked? Mine were super low, that is just a thought. Or are you working out on a regular basis, this helps a lot with the energy level. I would say though if nothing helps or changes, I would go see your Dr. it could be something hormonal.

I actually haven't had my Vitamin D levels checked in a while, but I am probably due to have them done, I am always notoriously low with them. I was thinking it might be my thyroid medication thats making me tired, I just recently started working out on a schedule, and I just feel more drained.
    Maybe it's because of the thyroid that you feel more tired? Does your medication need changing?

I get my hormone levels checked in a couple of weeks, but I am thinking that might be whats wrong.

I get the babies getting you up in the am! But mine always decides to get up at 3am (completely ungodly hour) rather than 5-6am which is what I am shooting for.
  • lowerhogan
    lowerhogan Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I always find if i get into a slump like this I will take some iron supplement like Pharmaton or something. We all need a little pep

I am notorious for getting to bed late which always makes getting up harder but don't be too hard on yourself, you've been through a lot! : )
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I started going to bed earlier (typically before 10.30pm). Now I naturally get up every morning around 6.30-7am.
  • sonyahadder42
    sonyahadder42 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Have you had a sleep study done? If not, ask your doctor about one. Sleep apnea is one of the most under-diagnosed conditions and can make a HUGE impact on energy as well as overall general health. I did one in June. Got a C-Pap machine and now feel like a new person! It really saved me. I can't stress enough how much different I feel.