Shall i start running?!

Options
I weight train 4-5 x a week, and play football on a Thursday and Sunday... I want to start maybe 1 day a week doing 6k runs... do you think this may be to much?

I don't want to lose allot of muscle mass, but i know running at high distances causes that... I think it will help with losing that last few % of body fat with a good diet... any tips on running?? I'm a weight trainer and footballer... not a cardio kind of person

Replies

• ShinjiruGhetto
    Options
    I think HIIT should be better compared to 6K runs.
    If you want to lose your BF and time is not of essence why not simply eat at deficit and continue your weight training?
  • jkane1992
    jkane1992 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Time is running i have 2 weeks to drop 2%
  • ShinjiruGhetto
    Options
    What BF are you at currently?
  • jkane1992
    Options
    10... want to be 8 before i go on holiday
  • ShinjiruGhetto
    Options
    You're not going to drop from 10% BF to 8% BF in 2 weeks using legal supplements/diet that would require at least 4-6 weeks with perfect diet.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have thought running 6k once a week would make any noticeable difference at all.
  • jkane1992
    Options
    Really?? along with 90 minutes of interval running on a football pitch and 2 hours of football training?

Plus my diet is good and I weight train heavy 4/5 x a week its just breaking that last 2%
  • litsy3
    Options
    Yes really, seeing as you're doing those other things already. I'm not sure you'll see huge results (positive or negative) from adding in a short run.
  • jkane1992
    Options
    6k isnt a short run? lol i dont want to loes my muscle and become skinny i want to retain it but drop BF
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Just running 6k once a week ain't gonna do that...
  • lowerhogan
    lowerhogan Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Unless that 6k run is interval training / sprints you probably will find that will do nothing for you in tandem with what you are already doing.

I used to run more frequently from 5-16k a couple times a week and found it really didn't do anything (extreme) in relation to body fat loss. This year I have taken up football and have found the training and matches to be far better from moving weight. Running at a set pace for whatever distance is tough but its more stamina and mind than actually getting your heart rate up to that burn zone.
  • jkane1992
    Options
    Just running 6k once a week ain't gonna do that...

As i said before - Really?? along with 90 minutes of interval running on a football pitch and 2 hours of football training?

Plus my diet is good and I weight train heavy 4/5 x a week its just breaking that last 2%

I have dropped down to 10% bodyfat from my bulk when i was 16% i want to drop another 2 in the next 2 weeks, i know il get 1 but i just fought any extra help may help?
  • jkane1992
    Options
    Unless that 6k run is interval training / sprints you probably will find that will do nothing for you in tandem with what you are already doing.

I used to run more frequently from 5-16k a couple times a week and found it really didn't do anything (extreme) in relation to body fat loss. This year I have taken up football and have found the training and matches to be far better from moving weight. Running at a set pace for whatever distance is tough but its more stamina and mind than actually getting your heart rate up to that burn zone.

Very good point,t hanks alot.
  • litsy3
    Options
    6k isnt a short run? lol i dont want to loes my muscle and become skinny i want to retain it but drop BF

Er, yes it is. You're going to burn about 350 calories, if that. Those runners you see who are actually skinny? They wouldn't bother putting their trainers on for 6k. I think your muscles are safe.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    6k isnt a short run?

It's less than 30 minutes worth of training.

At the moment I don't do anythiing that short.
  • litsy3
    Options
    6k isnt a short run?

It's less than 30 minutes worth of training.

At the moment I don't do anythiing that short.

The OP might not run as fast as you though.

I sometimes do 4 miles as a recovery jog on the day after a race. That's not much longer than 6k.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I doubt it will help much, and it might put you at a higher risk of injury during football if you suddenly start running 6ks when you have not done so in the past. There's a reason that football is not a recommended cross-training for distance runners...
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Those runners you see who are actually skinny? They wouldn't bother putting their trainers on for 6k. I think your muscles are safe.

:laugh: so true
  • jkane1992
    Options
    Fair does... Remember not everyone is a pro... 6k run to me would be quite alot, as i never do long distance running, even on a football pitch, its interval training... so 6k to me would obviously be a challenge,.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options

Er, yes it is. You're going to burn about 350 calories, if that. Those runners you see who are actually skinny? They wouldn't bother putting their trainers on for 6k. I think your muscles are safe.
    ^^^ lol!