Heavy lifting & cutting

Options
Hi everyone :)

I started heavy lifting about 7 weeks ago and my workout routine is as follows:
BodyCombat (High intenstiy cardio) 60mins for 3x a week
Heavy lifting 60mins for 4x a week (2 days for arms/upper and 2 days for legs/lower)

I am also currently on TDEE-15% (i'm guessing) and losing about a pound a week.

However, I've read from numerous sources about cutting and heavy lifting and they seem to contradict one another...
Some sources say that cutting while heavy lifting will help you lose fat while gaining SOME muscle
But some say that cutting while heavy lifting will result in no muscle gains at all and might even result in muscle LOSS :(

So I'm kind of confused and I was wondering if anyone could help me out =/

Replies

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy while eating at a deficit prevents muscle loss. Gaining muscle while eating at a deficit is very unlikely. I don't know where you heard that lifting while eating at a deficit causes more muscle loss, but that's incorrect. The goal is to maintain the muscle you already have while you eat at a deficit to lose fat. Simple. You won't see muscle gains until you start eating more. Now, you will gain STRENGTH, but that doesn't mean you're gaining muscle mass.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Here is an anecdote from my own adventures:

I have been lifting and eating between maintenance and surplus for about 5 months. My boyfriend has also been lifting but eating at a deficit for the same amount of time.

We had our BF% measured at the beginning and then again just a little while ago.

I have gained 5 lbs, but it is confirmed lean body mass. He lost 17 lbs, but 6 lbs of it was lean body mass.

When you are eating at a deficit there will always be some level of muscle lost. Lifting helps to hold on to more of it, but you aren't going to gain a significant amount of it without eating a whole lot.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

I have been lifting and eating between maintenance and surplus for about 5 months. My boyfriend has also been lifting but eating at a deficit for the same amount of time.

We had our BF% measured at the beginning and then again just a little while ago.

I have gained 5 lbs, but it is confirmed lean body mass. He lost 17 lbs, but 6 lbs of it was lean body mass.

When you are eating at a deficit there will always be some level of muscle lost. Lifting helps to hold on to more of it, but you aren't going to gain a significant amount of it without eating a whole lot.

Excellent Info Thank you for posting that
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    If your plan is to lift heavy, you should be lifting heavy regardless of whether you are cutting or bulking.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If your plan is to lift heavy, you should be lifting heavy regardless of whether you are cutting or bulking.

truth
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Most people tend to lose a little bit of strength when they are cutting. I find it gets worse the longer you cut. But you should still be lifting as heavy as your strength allows. For example, if you were lifting 100lbs. x 6 reps to failure before you started your cut, you may only be able to lift 90lbs. x 6 reps to failure during your cut. But, you're still lifting heavy.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy in a cal deficit will help preserve LBM.

31 yo female gains 5 lbs muscle in 5 months - I'll have to wave the BS flag on that one. If you're eating at a surplus, fat gains are inevitable. And you're boyfriend lost 35% of his weight in LBM - he's either restricting his calories too much, not lifting heavy enough, or a combo of both. Or 3rd option; whoever is testing your BF is doing a lousy job of it, which is the more likely scenario.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options

31 yo female gains 5 lbs muscle in 5 months - I'll have to wave the BS flag on that one. If you're eating at a surplus, fat gains are inevitable. And you're boyfriend lost 35% of his weight in LBM - he's either restricting his calories too much, not lifting heavy enough, or a combo of both. Or 3rd option; whoever is testing your BF is doing a lousy job of it, which is the more likely scenario.
    5lbs in 5 months of lean mass for a new female lifter...I don't see the BS. That is 1/4lb per week. Plus eating a very slight surplus with a good lifting routine will result in minimal fat gains.
  • FrenchMob
    Options

5lbs in 5 months of lean mass for a new female lifter...I don't see the BS. That is 1/4lb per week. Plus eating a very slight surplus with a good lifting routine will result in minimal fat gains.
    Male, maybe and would have to have never lifted before in his life. Not for a woman though. Maybe half of that; 5 lbs is probably 2.5 lbs muscle/2.5 lbs fat. Back to option 3 - whoever is doing BF testing, shouldn't.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

Male, maybe and would have to have never lifted before in his life. Not for a woman though. Maybe half of that; 5 lbs is probably 2.5 lbs muscle/2.5 lbs fat. Back to option 3 - whoever is doing BF testing, shouldn't.

I get your skepticism, but maybe it happened. I'm a 32yo female, not novice lifter. Bulked 20 weeks and gained 6 lbs total (4 lbs LBM) and I was VERY conservative with my bulk.
  • FrenchMob
    Options

I get your skepticism, but maybe it happened. I'm a 32yo female, not novice lifter. Bulked 20 weeks and gained 6 lbs total (4 lbs LBM) and I was VERY conservative with my bulk.
    Again, what are you using to determine LBM? The best equipment out there has a margin of error of +/- 2% BF.
  • TriLifter
    Options

Again, what are you using to determine LBM? The best equipment out there has a margin of error of +/- 2% BF.

Bod Pod. You're right, maybe I just got fat instead. I look like I could stand to lose a couple...
  • ironangel250
    ironangel250 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy while eating at a deficit prevents muscle loss. Gaining muscle while eating at a deficit is very unlikely. I don't know where you heard that lifting while eating at a deficit causes more muscle loss, but that's incorrect. The goal is to maintain the muscle you already have while you eat at a deficit to lose fat. Simple. You won't see muscle gains until you start eating more. Now, you will gain STRENGTH, but that doesn't mean you're gaining muscle mass.

^^THIS^^
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options

Bod Pod. You're right, maybe I just got fat instead. I look like I could stand to lose a couple...
    yeah...you and your ripped stomach need to stop gaining muscles so fast...makes people mad...
  • TriLifter
    Options

yeah...you and your ripped stomach need to stop gaining muscles so fast...makes people mad...

I like you :love:
  • cjl2535
    cjl2535 Posts: 89
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for your responses :) kinda helps clear up some of the confusion =/

Do you guys think TDEE-15% is a bit too low when trying to lose weight ?
  • ironangel250
    ironangel250 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for your responses :) kinda helps clear up some of the confusion =/

No I don't think it's too low, that should be about right depending in how much you have to lose. If you have say 20+ lbs to lose or less it's a good starting rate.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

No I don't think it's too low, that should be about right depending in how much you have to lose. If you have say 20+ lbs to lose or less it's a good starting rate.

If your profile picture is recent, I'm wondering where this body fat you're trying to lose is located. If you're within 5-10 lbs of your goal, you could do TDEE-10% and still lose. 15% isn't horribly unhealthy or anything - I'm just speaking as someone who is close to goal and prefers to eat as much as I can while still slowly losing.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't say that lifting in defecit is going to guarantee that you lose 0 muscle, but its going to do a lot to help prevent it.

some claims that they can eat at a mild defecit and still gain mucsle. honestly they must be brand new. you might gain some if your eating at maintenance, but whats probably going on is that your sometimes in a mild surplus, sometimes in a mild defecit.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

this. the only difference is that when cutting you will hit a wall faster where you wont be able to increase your weights but that doesnt mean you can't continue to lift heavy (i hate that term :laugh: )