Tired all the time

Options
Hi fellow MFP'ers.

I'm not sure where to post this, so I'm going to try here. If it's in the wrong spot I apologize.

Anyway, I'm sitting here at my desk, just had lunch, and I'm ready to doze off.

I've been trying to pinpoint some of the problems that may be leading to this. One of them, I think, is eating too close to bed. I woke up probably 3 times last night.

The other one, I'm wondering, is a vitamin deficiency. I haven't been tracking my food, but a normal day looks something like this:

Breakfast - low fat greek yogurt, fruit, raw honey
Snack - vegetable juice (beet, carrot, lettuce, whatever else I have)
Lunch - protein (chicken/turkey breast), salad or leftover dinner from the night before
Snack - rice cakes with natural peanut butter, hard boiled egg
Dinner - usually varies, but a protein of some sort, wild rice/potatoes and vegetables

I have one coffee, usually before 8:00 am.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears!

Thanks.

ETA: Today is a rather slow day at work too. I tend to feel more lethargic like this when there is absolutely nothing to keep me busy. However, I still want to know if there are ways I can not feel so tired.

Replies

• tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    If you haven't had a physical recently, maybe it's a good time to do so. Having all the bloodwork checked, etc. If everything there checks out good, then I would look at my activity level and eating habits. You didn't indicate if you are getting in any activity. Maybe a short walk at lunch would help. I do this almost daily as sitting at a desk for 8 hours can get very tiresome.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    A major energy booster for me lately is a fruit smoothie (using a blender not a juicer) with nuts and seeds and berries and bananas. It's pretty high calorie, though. You could pretty much replace your lunch with a coffee size cup of the stuff. But it definitely gets me up and going.

Edit: Also a quick stroll in the sunshine if you can get outside for your lunch break.
  • nogreenthumb
    Options
    Thanks. You are both right, I rarely go outside at all during the day.
  • hharp626
    hharp626 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    A few months ago I was feeling really run down and I had trouble concentrating in class. I went to the Dr. for blood work and found out I was iron deficient (very low ferritin) and vitamin d deficient. I take an iron and vit d supplement and I have lot more energy now. It took about two months to feel better though.
  • ashlando
    ashlando Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Do you exercise? That can boost energy levels.

Sleep is really important - do you get at least 7 hours a night?

Everyone is different, but I don't think eating too close to bedtime makes much of a difference in energy levels. It can make it harder to fall asleep for some people but that's about it.

Sometimes I feel tired in the afternoon (though it's usually from boredom) and I opt for a cup of Earl Grey or green tea. That give me just enough of a boost to get me through the rest of the work day until it's time for the gym.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    B12
    D
    and
    Iron

usually big ones that contribute.

I am tired ALL the time- it's just a state of being for me- but that's because I work 7 days a week and I average 4-5 hours sleep- no da*m fault but my own- but I do know when I don't get enough sun and iron- I"m really lethargic. Like REALLY lethargic.
  • tr3kkie9rl
    tr3kkie9rl Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is too obvious, but how much do you normally sleep? It could literally be something as simple as not getting enough sleep. For me personally, I *have* to sleep 8 hours a night. In bed at 9pm, and up at 5am Monday-Friday. On weekends that gets shifted later into the evening/morning, but I still try to always make sure I get 8 hours. If I don't, even it it's just one hour less, I see a dramatic impact on my energy the next day.
  • lqichick
    lqichick Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If none of those ideas work out, don't forget about sleep apnea.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    In my case, I'm figuring out probably two things have been causing my fatigue: I needed a better bed and probably hypothyroidism.

Also, low iron can cause it.

But there are many causes, so maybe see your doctor.
  • nogreenthumb
    Options
    Thanks so much for the suggestions!
  • tr3kkie9rl
    tr3kkie9rl Posts: 144 Member
    Options

oh yeah, that! also, potentially restless leg syndrome? I didn't realize it, but that was severely interrupting my sleep until my husband noticed (because it was interrupting his sleep too LOL)
    Not to get all hypochondriac on you... just another idea
  • Jonesie86
    Jonesie86 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Like everyone is saying, sleep is key. Then eating right, and supplementing what you don't get in your diet.

I take vitamin D, antioxidant blend, vitamin B, multivitamin and garlic. I forget to take them a few times per week but that's okay cause some of them are fat soluble so it stays with me. Vitamin D will do wonders for you especially if you work indoors and don't get sunshine. I'd also up the carbs if it were me and make sure you get enough protein (our bodies need 20 amino acids and we only make about 11, and 9 are essential to diet and feeling good), but that's what's working for me right now, hope it helps!

Oh and water. Drink it like it's going out of style.
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I take a prenatal vitamin (my baby is 9 months but I'm trying to use them up cause they are expensive) and I just started taking B12. I've noticed that since I started taking the B12 I have soooo much more energy. My energy usually cashed out once I got home, but now I don't feel as tired and wore out. I can't just crawl on the couch and nap like I used too. I have 4 boys and they are very active. If you still feel tired a lot of the time, maybe take a trip to your Dr and have some blood drawn. There can be lots of things that can contribute to feeling tired.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    OMG I read this as sleep around! Wow.
    OP, are you getting enough calories? If you're exercising a lot and not eating enough??
  • lqichick
    lqichick Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    OMG I read this as sleep around! Wow.

That's too funny !
  • DaveDeLange
    Options
    I was the same as you recently. Blood tests came back normal.

Supplementing with magnesium citrate and l-tyrosine (between 2g and 8g daily) has restored my energy.

Of course a good multivitamin with iron is always a good thing to have. I've heard Korean Ginseng is very good, but haven't used it yet.