Anyone had a heel spur?

Options
Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone has suffered with the painful but annoying heel spur issue? I have been for a few years and after a lot of physiotherpay and orthotics it has started to some under control. However, i am finding it is starting to flare up a bit again now that i have started exercising- i am doing weights and some bike and elliptical at the gym but little walking or running. I am not into water things so pool exercising is not really an option. Does anyone have some ideas for how to keep it under control while still exercing regularly? Any experiences of it resolving?

Replies

• All4You
    All4You Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with them on one more than the other, i had ankle surgery from an old injury the scan prior found the spurs. ankle is so bad now i cant run, although this is really inconvinent the spurs are troubling me less now im not doing any major impact exercises

if it does flair up i find icing it helps and also making sure i always do my stretches and exercise that have been given from the physio
    I also have inserts specifically for exercise - these may help also
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    is this something you wear with cowboy boots!! lol
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I have them on both feet. Usually heel spurs and plantar faciitis go hand in hand (or would that be foot in foot?). The best thing I have found is hard insoles (orthotics) for my shoes. They help keep the ligament from stretching out and causing small tears and making the heel spur larger. When mine flare up I use a frozen water bottle and roll it under my arch and heel. Keep doing your stretches and stuff before working out. Find some low impact stuff to do while it subsides. Motrin or Aleve help, but nothing OTC will kill the pain completely. Unless you have surgery to have it removed (6-8 weeks off the feet) you need to find a way to deal with it.
  • kal2202
    Options
    awesome everyone- thanks for the great ideas. Now no excuses!!
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I have been helped by a website: heel-that-pain.com. There are videos of exercises and self help actions to take. They also sell a reasonably priced orthotic. I find that an orthotic and taking a liquid glucosamine & chondroitin supplement really help.
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I have received help from a website called heel-that-pain.com. They have videos of self help activities. They also sell a reasonably priced orthotic that has given me relief. I also find that drinking a liquid glucosamine & chondroitin supplement every day helps.