How to stay hydrated while jogging.

Options
2»

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Run earlier in the day if you can to beat the heat! I HATE running when it's hot in the summer, so I am out the door at sunrise in the cool of the morning. It's quiet, it's cooler, I see the awesome sunrise, and then I'm ready to rock my day.

Also agree with those who say hydration starts the day before - make sure you're drinking enough or even extra the day before if you know you're running the next day. If you do run in the afternoon or evening, drink up all morning long.

I have one of those bottles with the hand strap thingy and used it a few times. It's easy to hold, I don't even really have to grip it, but eventually found that I don't need it. I keep it for the just in case scenarios, and if nothing else, if it's terribly hot when I'm out there past sunrise, I can always squirt the water over my head and back to cool down. :tongue:

Check your local TJ Maxx or Marshalls - they often have a good selection of fitness gear, including hydration belts, bottles & handy things for running, and for a lot less than regular retail.

Good luck!
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Not a problem I have, but I'm from Scotland so 100 degree weather is not really an issue for us!!
    What about fit sip, they are wristbands that get filled with water http://www.amazon.co.uk/FitSip-Pro-Lite-Hands-Free-Hydration-Runners/dp/B00HU6F3QS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409090472&sr=8-1&keywords=fitsip
    I really dislike carrying water as well, so on my 20 mile runs, I used to run loops and leave the water in the car, don't know if this would be an option??
    As someone else has already said, make sure that you're hydrating throughout the day, not just an hour before you run.
  • Singelli
    Singelli Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Good luck and keep up this renewed sense!!

Thank all of you for the amazing feedback! Jogging/ Running is a very new thing for me, and so I learned quite a bit by reading all of your responses. I didn't know so many little things could make a difference! It's really awesome of you guys to spend time giving me the info and encouragement!
    ... I do carry a small packet of sport beans,

.... We are recommended to consume at least half our body weight in ounces each day, so for a 200 lb person that is 100 oz of water. Drink up buttercup....

What is a sport bean?

And 100 ounces? Yipes! That's.... quite a bit. I drink about 32 ounces every day, and apparently that's not enough. I'd never heard this 'formula' before, so thanks! I'm going to try harder to drink more every day. I honestly had no idea that hydrating the day before exercise (or all day the day of) could help. I guess this needs to be a strong focus for me.
    ... I will say that chapstick really helps me from feeling like I have cotton mouth while I run....

Chapstick helps with that?! O.o Now there's something I -never- would have guessed! Does it... have to be any special kind of chapstick? I mean, my mother used to buy me cheap little fruity scented chaps that I really can't stand, but I do like to use Carmex from time to time. I've never really been into chapsticks otherwise.
    ..... Sip the drink then hide it behind a wall or tree. Then keep running. ...

I honestly considered this during my second run when I couldn't stop marveling at how dry my mouth was. However, I don't live in an area where I would trust a left bottle... even if it was well hidden. lol But it's a good idea for sure. Thanks!
    Ditch the walmart bike for sure.

Why do you say that? It wasn't one of the cheap models, and it's served me very well for about 3 weeks now, which is when I bought it. I can't really say I have any complaints about it yet.
    ... Check out fuel belts, I have one that hold 2 x12 oz flasks that I use for runs in hot weather that are over 90 minutes.They're snug and don't move around very much, I've yet to drop a bottle.

I get really thirsty because I'm terribly out of shape, apparently not hydrated enough, and working out in heat and through hills. I wish I WAS in shape so that I didn't feel so thirsty.. trust me. haha!

I don't know that I'm going to go with a belt, BUT I wanted to say that I really appreciate the insight on how much the belts move and how secure they are. I looked a few up on Amazon, but they didn't look very comfortable. Do you have any insight on that to offer me in case I decide to get one?
    ... packet or two of mustard.

Mustard? Really? Why? O.o lol
    I use a hand held water bottle with a pouch. Holds my phone also! I only use it when I'm going to be out for 1.5 hours or longer.

I'm out of shape enough that it takes me anywhere from an hour to an hour and 15 minutes to jog/run the 4-5 miles. *blushes * This time DOES include the time it takes me to go through walmart, get a drink, buy it, and drink it, though.

Right now, I've been using one of those arm bands that have a pocket for your phone. I put my ID, a few dollar bills, and my phone in there. My keys tend to go in my shorts just because I have pretty secure pockets. It DOES have a slot for a single key though, if I was ever non-lazy enough to actually slip my house key off the ring.

I just thought I'd mention it in case you ever want to give that a shot. :)
    ....maybe I'm just a wuss :laugh: ....

That's how I feel. lol. You're not alone!
    You don't need all the equipment peeps are suggesting for the runs you are doing now.

You hydrate when you are not running, all day, everyday. If you absolutely FEEL like you can't make it through the run without hydration then just grab a small bottle of water and run with it. You don't need fancy straps and camelbaks for what you are doing. just a bottle of water you can keep around and refill. It will give your arms a slight workout as well carrying it so plus plus there.

AND

If you are doing this to drop weight and such like you said, stop buying that vitamin water crap in the middle of your runs. It's basically the equivalent of drinking a 16 ounce dr.pepper mid run. Calories and full of crap you don't need. Don't be fooled by their marketing. You don't need anything but water (not even Gatorade)until you hit MUCH MUCH MUCH further distances.

I probably found your post the most intriguing.

I never thought about giving my arms a slight workout by carrying a water bottle. That puts a slightly new perspective on it, so maybe if I absolutely need water, I just need to suck it up. (pun not intended. lol)

I am doing the exercise because I want to lose the weight, but more importantly, because I want to be fit. The only reason I bought Vitamin Water though, is because I have a hard time justifying the purchase of bottled water. I did be sure to grab the Zero version since it has zero calories. I've even been grabbing the lemonade flavor despite hating lemonade... simply because it's the only "zero" version they have.

Do you still think it's a bad thing to drink in the middle of my trips?
    ...To help me with my throat when I first start my run I take a Halls mentho lyptus throat drop. It opens up the nasal passages and coats my throat so it isn't so scratchy and dry from breathing hard...

My throat definitely hasn't gotten scratchy, but it's been terribly dry. I don't think I would have thought about taking a 'cough drop' though. What an interesting idea. I would think that it'd make your throat a little dryer, but I don't use them often, either. Thank you!
    Run earlier in the day if you can to beat the heat! .... I see the awesome sunrise, and then I'm ready to rock my day.

.... If you do run in the afternoon or evening, drink up all morning long.

Check your local TJ Maxx or Marshalls - they often have a good selection of fitness gear, including hydration belts, bottles & handy things for running, and for a lot less than regular retail.

Running under the sunrise would definitely be a way to start the day... I have to agree! However, I don't exactly have that luxury, though I've thought about it. With my job though, I'd have to get up at 3am to even consider a morning run.

I always bring a water bottle to work, but I don't get through much of it. I'm going to try harder to finish at least eight cups before I get off work and do my exercise.

Also, thanks for the hint about where to shop and get things cheap! I really appreciate it!
    ...What about fit sip, they are wristbands that get filled with water....
    Well that's interesting! I've never heard of things like that. (20 miles though! I envy you! lol) Thanks for the tip!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You don't need anything but water (not even Gatorade)until you hit MUCH MUCH MUCH further distances.

+1
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I don't bother taking water on a run unless I'm going to be out for 90mins+ then I take a slightly watered down energy drink in a belt bottle pack (I really can't get on with gels so prefer a drink but not too sweet!)

ETA Hydration before a run makes a big difference for me.
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. My wife drinks way more water then I drink. She always has a glass of water or a water bottle with her. Although she is well hydrated she can not do any exercise without water. We will take our dogs to the park for walks and we have to bring water for the dogs and my wife.

I normally drink before and after exercise. If I am running for 90 minutes or more I will take water. I use a water belt and water bottle or a camelback depending on how much water I think I need. The belt and bottle hold 16 ounces the camelback holds two liters ( 4 times as much)

Enjoy your running and new bike
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    What is a sport bean?

Sport beans are like jellybeans with the addition of electrolytes needed for prolonged exercise. They fuel longer runs, similar to gels, stingers, etc. You can get any of these at a sporting goods or running store. Not really necessary until you get into longer distances - the recommendation on the package is to consume fuel 15 mins before and every 45 mins during a long run (like anything, subject to individual preferences).

I did an 8km run last night including 2kms of hill repeats and I downed my 10oz handheld water bottle. Granted it was 27 degrees Celsius outside at 7:30pm, but still I have no idea how people run without water :laugh:

ETA: I completely agree with making sure you are hydrated the day before. I drink tons of water and I still need to hydrate during runs. Personal preference
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What do YOU do to keep hydrated? I'm not sure I can convince my husband to let me spend more money on exercise accessories after all the money I spent on stuff for my biking.

When I was doing C25K I hoovered up a lot of water. Now that I'm more conditioned I'll quite comfortably go out for about 10km without anything at all, for longer than that I do carry fluids.

I used a The North Face Flight series belt with two 500ml bottles and a pouch for gel/ keys etc. Neatly sits on my hips and it's quite comfortable. I also have a handheld that takes about 350ml although don't use it much.

I'm not so keen on handhelds mself.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    OP, sport beans are just jelly beans (Jelly Belly brand) that help with electrolyte/carb replenishing on looooooong runs. There are lots of fuel options out there; Gu, Shot Blocks, etc. Once you start getting into longer distances you might find that you feel like complete garbage afterward or halfway through. Products like those can help.

Good luck getting better hydrated! It's one of the best things you can do for yourself health wise. We need SO much more water than we think we do.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Everyone's a bit different. I don't carry water with me unless I'm going 9 miles or longer. And even then, I don't drink much. I make sure I'm hydrated before a run, especially a couple hours before. I then have water waiting for me right after my run. I run in the evenings after work, so hydrating beforehand isn't difficult.

As others have said, you really only need water until you get into longer distances/times.
  • mirki002
    mirki002 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Speaking from personal experience, the sensation of thirst while running will go away. You really don't need to drink during your run unless you are running 5+ miles, but I know that at the beginning it feels like you are REALLY thirsty. I now run 3 miles 3-4 days a week and I don't need to drink during. If I run first thing in the morning I drink 8 oz of water with a splash of OJ to get some sugar in my bloodstream, then go. If I run in the afternoon I just hydrate like usual throughout the day and then drink 16 or so ounces after my run. Having said that, I know the feeling of thirst can be very uncomfortable while running, and if it's really hot out you may need water while running despite shorter distances. As others have mentioned, you can purchase water bottles that attach to your body- amazon.com has some reasonably priced waistbands that hold water bottles while running. Or, you can wait until you are more accustomed to running and the feeling of thirst will subside.