Ensure

Options
Owlibee
Owlibee Posts: 138 Member
I struggle to eat well due to my anxiety and came across Ensure drinks

I bought a months worth to try them out. Since they are easy to drink and not filling I thought they would be a good addition to my diet to help me through the days I struggle to eat very much.

(my goal is to gain weight)

Has anyone else had ensure?

I have the vanilla plus version (tastes okay. bit too sweet) I know they are expensive (cost me around £100 for a months worth) but I need to get the extra nutrition in my diet when eating is impossible

Replies

• FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    truly they are okay. I was forced to eat them when I had a horrible infection in my tooth and throat before I had my emergency surgery a few months ago. It was the only thing I could handle. Personally I hope I never have to have them again but they are okay. You could probably make your own in reality. I do a lot of smoothies in my magic bullet.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I haven't personally had them, but my dad drank them when he was ill. (He couldn't eat much due to a tumor in his abdomen.) He thought they were too thick and sweet, so we would mix them half and half with ensure and milk, which added in some extra calories as well.
  • erisians
    erisians Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used to give my grandmother Resource when she had poor intake and was underweight, it's similar to the other major brands such as Ensure, Fortisip, Sustagen etc. It worked well and she gained weight and her energy improved considerably using it as a supplement in addition to regular meals (not as a replacement meal). You could also try to make your own calorie dense nutritional shakes to cut down on cost, but the pre-made shakes/juices are quicker and easier if you can tolerate them and don't mind the taste, I found them to be a good short/medium term aid to improve dietary intake.
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I used Ensure and Boost when I was doing chemo. In dark chocolate flavor, at room temp (swallowing anything cold was like swallowing broken glass). It was good for its purpose. Yes you can make your own smoothies but things like Ensure are convenient, that is for sure. And portable, which is nice. And for someone in your situation...you don't have to get a lot of volume down. The non "plus" varieties are less sweet, which makes sense. But of course, fewer calories and protein. For added calorie and protein boosts in your regular food, you can do things like add dry milk powder. Carnation Instant Breakfast is also pretty tasty.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    My husband like the Target brand Chocolate Plus - it is about $3 cheaper than the Ensure. (Yes, he is trying to gain and I am trying to lose. Throw in a picky kid, and occasional company that are lactose intolerant or vegetarian or gluten intolerant and cooking becomes a bit difficult!)
  • stillhere1981
    stillhere1981 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I drank them after my surgeries so I would get enough protein (it helps healing). The chocolate and dark chocolate ones were pretty good.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    We give Ensure, or similar, in long-term care facilities because many of the clients do poorly at eating an appropriate portion of their actual meals.

For an active adult, I would suggest rather switching any dairy to full-fat, adding nut butters and oil to things, etc.
  • Gwennie9476
    Gwennie9476 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I drink Ensure in the mornings. I love them in Dark Chocolate, but my husband doesn't. I use them as a meal replacement because they have such good protein in them and good carbs that are slow and steady to not spike blood sugar.
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question. I have little appetite post workout in the evenings, and most of the time I am way under my goal calories. I usually have an ON protein drink and call it good, even if I remain under calories post workout, but have been thinking about trying Ensure post workout instead of going to be under goal calories. Great question.
  • mundaycarroll
    mundaycarroll Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've had Ensure and I love them! My favorite is the chocolate flavor. I've always thought vanilla flavored drinks had a funny taste to them. When I was between the ages of 17 and 19 I struggled really bad with eating/nutrition so my mom got me Ensure and Boost drinks for me to help replenish my vitamins and minerals. I thought it helped. I hope they help you too :)
  • scykellmann
    scykellmann Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that if you can find a store brand version of it it will be much cheaper and it will taste as good. In the other post I assumed you were in the US and that's why I was suggesting to buy the Walgreens version, but since you are not in the US look for stores around your area to see if they make their own. And yes like everyone else said, the chocolate version is always best tasting, in fact... really good.
  • scykellmann
    scykellmann Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Oh and another thing is, get the plus version of ensure or equivalent, instead of the regular because the regular is 250 calories and the plus is 350 total, 100 calories more than the regular, and you will feel the difference. As I explained in your other board what I did is drink one with each meal, in addition to the meal. That pretty much duplicates the amount of calories per day that your body gets and you should see the effects in just a few days. However, when you start to notice the increase in weight you should do some exercise too because if not some of it will go to your waist.