Picky eater: Needs recipie for Slow Cooker

Options
dhaemon
dhaemon Posts: 110 Member
I hate 99% of vegetables (Only Potato)
I like all sorts of meats but HATE shellfish.

Give me some ideas. Thanks.

Replies

• Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Do you like ANYTHING else? Corn, beans, diced tomatoes?
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Put all sorts of meats except shellfish in a slow cooker. Add potatoes and water. Cook for 8-10 hours.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    No meat and no vegetables...that really narrows it down.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    No veggies at all??? Surely you overexagerrate!!

Do you like salsa? Shredded crockpot salsa chicken is awesome in tortillas, over rice and on a salad (if you ate salad, that is). Throw some corn in there for good measure too - it'll add sweetness!
  • christinalong1991
    christinalong1991 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My recommendation would be to get used to vegetables!! You aren't going to lose 195 lbs and BE HEALTHY (isn't that the ultimate objective afterall?) eating meat. Not eating enough veggies and fruits is likely what got us all where we started anyway! Try things with real flavor, not steamed broccoli. Baby carrots and corn go great in slow cooker recipes! If you really hate veggies, trick yourself into eating them! Drink a protein shake, add some spinach. Make an omelet, add some tomato. Just little bits can help out.

As for the crockpot, my favorite that is super easy (and masks veggie flavors!!), Chicken breast, Mr. Yoshida's marinade, potatoes, and baby carrots. The potatoes and carrots absorb the sauce and taste amazing! Also pork shouler and carrots are amazing!!
    Just find ways to add veggies with enough flavor to overpower them. Good luck!
  • dhaemon
    dhaemon Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    No meat and no vegetables...that really narrows it down.

I love meat, just no shellfish.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    start liking vegetables.
  • eels4peels
    eels4peels Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Chicken + Potatoes
    Cook
    Eats
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can come up with is an "Atkins version" of this jambalaya recipe...which is delicious I might add.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/colleens-slow-cooker-jambalaya/

Instead of onions try onion powder
    if you can't stand tomatoes - not sure what to use - more chicken broth and ketchup?
    leave out the celery and peppers
  • avoidtheclapp107
    avoidtheclapp107 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine a good shellfish recipes for the slow cooker--blech.

I like chicken chili in the slower cooker. That's always a good time.

I'm making butter chicken tonight. (I haven't made it yet, so I can report back tomorrow--but I do like Indian food) It's:

3lb chicken cut into 2in pieces
    4 cloves Garlic diced
    1-2 Onions
    1/2 in ginger peeled and diced
    garam masala seasoning
    6oz can tomato paste
    14oz can light coconut milk
    1/2 cup flour

3 hours high or 5 hours low

Directions here: http://damndelicious.net/2014/03/14/slow-cooker-butter-chicken/

Message me if you need any other idea, I can usually think of (aka find) some other goodies.

GOOD LUCK!
  • KristenCook2
    KristenCook2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hello from a fellow picky eater! Listen, I love this site and the message boards - I have gotten so much support and ideas along the road of my journey here BUT I hate when people tell us picky eaters it's not possible to lose weight and be healthy without forcing ourselves to eat things we don't like. It is possible and you can do it! I can take literally any recipe and make a few changes to turn it into a recipe I'll eat. At the same time, I do try new things as I go. There are many foods that I eat as an adult that I would have never touched as a kid so I'm always willing to give something another try. That being said, do a google search for crockpot recipes for picky eaters. A million hits will come up. Visit a few sites and see what you find. Remember, substitutions will be your friend. Don't like onion? Try some onion powder or chunk the called-for onion up in large pieces that you can easily pick out (but still have the flavor). Don't like tomatoes but a recipe calls for whole tomatoes? Sub out for tomato paste or sauce - look for a low-sodium, low or no sugar variety. Don't like chunks of garlic in something? Garlic powder. You see where I'm going with this. I also agree with the pp who suggested hiding your veggies in a smoothie - one of my favorite tricks. You can literally get your entire days worth of veggies in your morning smoothie. See? Picky AND healthy. It can be done! Good luck!!
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    No veggies, but what about fruit? One of my fave crockpot recipes is for Hawaiian chicken:

1 package chicken of your choice (I typically use BL/SL thighs or breasts)
    15 oz can pineapple rings
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce

Throw everything into the crockpot INCLUDING the juice from the can of pineapples. Add enough water to cover the chicken. I usually add a stir fry veggie blend as well, and it absorbs the sweet and salty flavor of the sauce, but you can easily omit it. Let the whole thing go on low 6-8 hours.

Pull out 1/2 cup of liquid and let cool. Whisk in 1 tablespoon cornstarch until smooth. Return the cornstarch and sauce to the crockpot and mix well. Cook 30 minutes more. (This step thickens the broth into something more sauce like. I have forgotten it before, or been too lazy and it turned out just fine.)
  • Kidsonic
    Kidsonic Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I currently have chicken curry going in my slow cooker: 2 chicken breasts, butternut squash and onions, garlic, ginger and curry powder and 1/2 can of lite coconut milk. About 30 minutes before we eat, I'll pull out the chicken and swirl through the crock pot with an immersion blender. Then I'll shred the chicken and dump it and the other 1/2 can of coconut milk back in.

At this point, I'll add in extra veggies, but you could totally have this as a nice smooth sauce with shredded chicken and never have to think too hard on the blended squash and onions in there too.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Beef boneless short ribs. Add your favorite BBQ sauce, some extra garlic, and stick it on low for about 6 hours or until they fall apart. *nom!*
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Do you like the roasted chicken you get at grocery stores.
    Here's my favorite slow cooker recipe.

One small whole chicken
    Pam
    Foil
    Seasoning of choice

Take aluminum foil and roll pieces of it into semi solid balls and line the bottom of your slow cooker with them. Then spray the chicken with Pam (generic is fine). Then season with anything you want. I like a variety. Sometimes lemon/pepper, sometimes just seasoning salt or BBQ seasoning or garlic/pepper/onion.

If you plan on removing the skin after cooking then I loosen the skin around the breast and rub seasonings on the inside.

Place back down on foil and cook high for 4-5 hours.

Very yummy. Then I de-bone and use leftovers to make chicken salad.
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    No veggies, but what about fruit? One of my fave crockpot recipes is for Hawaiian chicken:

1 package chicken of your choice (I typically use BL/SL thighs or breasts)
    15 oz can pineapple rings
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce

Throw everything into the crockpot INCLUDING the juice from the can of pineapples. Add enough water to cover the chicken. I usually add a stir fry veggie blend as well, and it absorbs the sweet and salty flavor of the sauce, but you can easily omit it. Let the whole thing go on low 6-8 hours.

Pull out 1/2 cup of liquid and let cool. Whisk in 1 tablespoon cornstarch until smooth. Return the cornstarch and sauce to the crockpot and mix well. Cook 30 minutes more. (This step thickens the broth into something more sauce like. I have forgotten it before, or been too lazy and it turned out just fine.)

Copying this into Word to save for later. Don't want to lose it! Sounds great!
  • qmmanager69
    qmmanager69 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    pork chops or chicken, can of cream soup/can of water, rice and cook.
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    pork roast + BBQ sauce
    slow cooker on low for 7-8 hrs
    shred meat using two forks or take sauce out and reduce add back to meat and shred

use meat with buns eat with some salad
    use meat for tacos