Best Foods to prepare for blood donation?

Options
kgibbz
kgibbz Posts: 102 Member
I have been a "regular" ( as in 2-3 times a year) blood donor ever since I could give. In February however, I was not able to because when they pricked my finger, my iron was too low. This was a big red flag to me because I had always had high iron, and it led me to my doctor and multiple tests ensued. I've been on a combo of vitamins and minerals since May and I want to donate today at a local blood drive. What food should I go for today? I know to double up on fluids, but other than that- what are good options?

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I donate every 8 weeks like clockwork for the most part and have never eaten in a special way to prep. Honestly, I drink enough fluids that I don't even really push for extra on those.

Sorry, not helpful I know, but as one donor to another: Good on you!!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I started exercising regularly - go figure. :tongue:

Now when I donate, I just make sure to eat some iron rich foods for 5-7 days prior to the donation. Cream of Wheat or other iron fortified cereal does the trick, and I make sure I eat it for breakfast several days a week leading up to my appointment. I have passed the iron test with flying colors ever since.

Another odd thing - once when donating in the winter months, I didn't pass the test. One of the other phlebotomists asked if my hands were cold - they were. So we warmed my other hand and tried again, and I passed. Maybe a circulation thing? Ha - I always make sure my hand is warm going in now, just in case!

Good on ya for donating! :drinker:

Edited to add: As far as eating beforehand - just eat a good breakfast & lunch and drink plenty of water. And enjoy a few extra cals after!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Foods with a lot of iron:

Clams
    Most packaged breakfast cereal
    Red Meat
    Spinach
    Dark Chocolate (more iron per ounce than spinach or steak)
  • kgibbz
    Options

Now when I donate, I just make sure to eat some iron rich foods for 5-7 days prior to the donation. Cream of Wheat or other iron fortified cereal does the trick, and I make sure I eat it for breakfast several days a week leading up to my appointment. I have passed the iron test with flying colors ever since.

Oh good! I've been eating Special K protein with bananas and almond milk! YUM!
  • kgibbz
    Options

SOLD!:love:
  • cranshinibon
    cranshinibon Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I drink blood before a blood donation, that way they're getting double nutrients.

Or i eat raw iron with chopsticks. If you don't want to do either and be a bad *kitten* mamma jamma, then go grab a nice lean cut of beef or lamb. I personally prefer Liver and Fava beans
  • GeeWillickers
    GeeWillickers Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Tagging for ideas. I barely passed on my last donation at 127 g/L on the hemoglobin which is rare plus low for men. One thing for myself that I noticed is my sleep was worse than normal which is crappy. Slept good after though. Depending on what you can fit into your diet there are plenty of nuts and seeds that are good sources.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Downside: Skip red wine and black tea .. they both block the absorption of Iron into the blood.
  • jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    Red meat, beans and dark leafy greens are good sources of iron. Add some extra iron rich foods in your meals for a couple of days before you donate.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I've been donating regularly for quite a few years. I'm one donation from the 6.5 gallon mark. Low iron levels have been a problem off and on for years. Keep in mind that "too low to donate blood" for a woman isn't necessarily too low for a woman. The reason the levels are set at what they are is because men may receive the donated blood. Be that as it may I take an iron supplement (because I have had actual anemia off and on) every day. The one that doesn't make me want to hurl after I take it is called Perfect Iron.

Good food sources are the usual suspects, animal derived foods like fish and chicken and beef. Clams and oysters and mussels are also good sources. Liver is a great source, but some people don't like it.

One last tip: use your food log to track iron intake. As long as you meet the goals there you may not need to worry about a supplement.
  • GeeWillickers
    GeeWillickers Posts: 85 Member
    Options

Downside: Skip red wine and black tea .. they both block the absorption of Iron into the blood.

Will also need to eat more dark chocolate due to bioavailability being lower....hmmm I'm liking the dark chocolate suggestion even more. ;)
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have good Iron rich foods. Also do not do any working out for 24 hours afterwards. I went jogging after 16 hours last time I gave made it three miles got home and was light headed and ended up on my kitchen floor. I was normally doing 6-8 miles a day back then.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Foods with a lot of iron:

Clams
    Most packaged breakfast cereal
    Red Meat
    Spinach

^^This is why I eat 72% (or lately 86%) dark chocolate every night. For the iron!:wink:
  • ibprettyle
    ibprettyle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I’ve had this same challenge as well. I’ve been turned away for the last 5 years due to a minimal difference in The Red Cross iron requirements. However, when I discussed this with my primary care doctor, she advised that my iron levels were fine and that I did not need to take any supplements. However, I am always cold, and this just started in the last 5 years also. So, something is going on with my iron, I hope that eating a cleaner diet will help. The Red Cross recommended that I eat iron rich foods, and to take 1 TBSP of black molasses several days before donating again. I have not tried it, but I plan to try it soon. I want to contribute.
  • kgibbz
    Options
    I was able to donate! I kept seeing all these ladies turned away, but you need a reading of 12.5 and mine was 12.7. Just barely! I asked my hubby after and he said his iron was 18.8- over achiever. Thanks all for your advice!