Is it okay to work out with a head cold?

Options
You know how the Chinese name years? 2011 so far is "The Year of the Cold" for me. AHHHHH! I have (yet another) head cold today, and it's the third day now. I haven't worked out for four days, which feels very weird to me. I tend to have a lot of arrhythmia when I don't work out, so I kind of need to get that heart rate up in order for my ticker to be happy.

BUT -- my head is totally stuffed. Any advice out in MFP.com world for me?

Replies

• Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    You should be fine. I am gettin over a chest cold. Still got a minor cough, not much for a voice anyways, had it since Monday first day back to workin out. I was so sick over with it I could barely even go to work. They say if it's just a head cold it's okay to workout.
  • Earthgrrrlll
    Options
    Try and work your exercise while lying down....perhaps some leg stretches with a ankle weight. Keep the exercises low impact if you are really sick. I did my exercises last week with a broken toe. I had to work all the exercises around the toe to give it time to heal. It affected my weight loss but I figured I could catch up with that; the healing of the toe was a priority. Make your head cold and rest a priority but still do some low impact exercises to keep your muscles limbered up.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Its up to you...we can't tell you when or not to workout. I just completed 2 weeks of workouts with my chest cold and I'm glad I was strict with myself...no excuses for me :)
  • supertempdonna
    Options
    I read that exercising with a cold can actually help relieve a stuffy nose/head, so it's actually good for you to do it!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    My general rule of thumb is, if it's above the neck it's ok to train, if it's below then it's a no!

So basically runny nose, head cold etc I won't let it stop me, but if it's on the chest I go easy and have more rest.
  • SJSchwartz
    Options
    Yes, I just also read about the Neck Rule. Like a previous poster said, If you're sick above the neck (stuffed up head, sore throat, headache, etc.), then it's fine to exercise, it could actually lesson your symptoms. But if it's severe pain or dizziness then just rest. If your symptoms are below the neck (stomach pains, chest problems, etc) then just rest it out and drink lots of fluids.
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    I've had the worst winter ever for sickness - had flu in the run up to Christmas that took me around three weeks to shake and now I've got a head cold but it seems to have also triggered the cough that I thought I'd beaten. I think I agree with the above the head rule - coughing is no good when you're trying to exercise IMHO.

I also have to say that it's great to be dedicated but think of other people too - I get SO CROSS when people hack and sneeze all over the gym - and I actually think the gym has been the source of my colds. It's not really fair to other people to spread your germs and even if you wipe the equipment down, if you're sneezing and coughing whilst working out it's pretty tough to contain.
  • drosenbauer
    Options
    Don't get everybody else at the gym sick. Work out at home if you can.
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have a head cold right now and just finished working out to a circuit training DVD. I really do feel better and less stuffed up.
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I can't run or anything like that with a cold....i have one now! But i have been going swimming instead and then sitting in the sauna which makes me feel tonnes better!

hope you feel better soon!
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    thanks for the posts. I think I'm going to walk on the treadmill and just keep it light for today. Lots of fluids is probably good, too. I'm back to Mommy Boot Camp tomorrow, which is pretty intense, so I'm going to save my energy for that.