Gained 4 lbs in 2 weeks?

Options
We went on vacation to Colorado for 2 weeks- did a lot of walking around and hiking. I relaxed my eating habits a little, mostly meaning I ate more carbs than usual- such as bread, rice and potatoes if they came with the meal. I was hungry anyhow. I didn't eat desserts except for a bite or two of other people's. When I returned I'd regained 4 of the 18 lbs I've lost in the past year. WTF??? That would be the equivalent of 1000 extra calories per DAY. There's no way I came anywhere close to that. And I was exercising. THis was NOT a "mai tai's on the beach" vacation.
I went back on the wagon when I returned. It's been three days but it isn't melting off like I hoped. What gives?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Unless you ate an additional 14000 calories, then its probably water retention. Give it a couple more days.
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was thinking most of it must be water--- Which is why I was expecting it to come off in a couple of days. I guess I need to be more patient?
    I found out also that being at high altitude can increase water retention. We were over 8000 feet most of the time. Maybe that's it.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    water retention and poop.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Oh no! You smoked all the weed, didn't you?! :smokin:

Probably not....anyway your water retention is probably aggravated by a few factors: change in diet, major altitude change, and change in physical activity. Also, travel can cause constipation. Drink some extra water (coffee!) and give it at least a week.

And no more weed.:laugh:
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    You probably gained 8 lbs but are more dehydrated now than before you left.
  • must_deflate
    Options
    Oh no! You smoked all the weed, didn't you?! :smokin:

Probably not....anyway your water retention is probably aggravated by a few factors: change in diet, major altitude change, and change in physical activity. Also, travel can cause constipation. Drink some extra water (coffee!) and give it at least a week.

And no more weed.:laugh:

Oh, no you caught me! (not really, I have to set a good example for my kid ):smile:
  • must_deflate
    Options
    You probably gained 8 lbs but are more dehydrated now than before you left.

Yeah, that must be it!! I smoked weed and then ate the entire state of Colorado. That's it. :tongue:
  • 115s
    115s Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I gained 10lbs in one week. Yes, it's true. No, it was not my TOM. The body is a strange thing.
  • CLM1227
    CLM1227 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you are used to lower carbs and you eat more than normal, that can increase water retention.

I went on vacation and went camping. We tried to eat around the campsite every meal, walked the mountain every morning (45-60min with an 18mo on my back), and I aimed to eat half as much as my children. I came back 2 weeks later and was 12lbs up.

I wanted to scream and I'm pretty sure I cried.