Am back, tail between my legs

Options
Ive been on my fitness pal for far too long without using it correctly and having just gone on holidays, wearing a bikini was one of the most embarrassing things.

Ive realised one of my main issues is I diet in secret. I start a diet with the aim of coming out a few months later and having everyone say "wow, you look amazing". I think one of the reasons I do this is when I fail ( which I have done, alot) there is no explaining myself. I now need to lose 40lbs. Looking at such a big number to me, is quite intimidating. I go on a mad diet for 2-3 weeks, lose half a stone, then get disheartened.

So starting today, I am on track. Monitoring my intake, and most importantly, getting my flabby butt moving to burn some calories!! Im starting to remind myself that I want this, not anyone else. I am doing it for me. To feel confident.

I would love for you to add me, and if you seem I am inactive, you have every right to start telling me off!

In the meantime, what motivates you to stay on track??

Replies

• lillyrose2020
    lillyrose2020 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I can really relate to your post. I have followed the same pattern in the past and I am now trying to make this a long term thing.
    I have found it helps having a few friends to cheer you on and offer advice, for me this acts as motivation. I have also found that family and friends in the 'real world' are supportive when I tell them I am dieting so there is no reason to do it in secret!
    I have about the same amount of weight to lose as you, really when you put it into perspective, people have 100's of pounds to lose and they do it, so we can do this!
    I will add you as well :)
  • All4Me2014xx
    All4Me2014xx Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with doing great for a few weeks to maybe even a couple months, but then slacking off or just totally stopping. But after some discussions with people I work with (Marines who exercise every day) I'll be trying to stick to a plan for 2 months and then changing it completely. Low carb for the next two months while also monitoring calorie totals, then changing it for another type of program. The same for exercise. Weights this go round with some cardio, then maybe reverse that and focus on cardio with some occasional weights.

I have a lot of DVDs so grabbing one and having a different "trainer" whenever I put one on isn't an issue. Bottom line, try changing things up.

And my ticker shows no weight lost because I gained back the 10 pounds I had lost since I signed up in June. Frustrating, but it is reality. Anyway, good luck.
  • vettim16
    vettim16 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Sent you a request!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Welcome back! Remember, the only failure is when you stop trying. We ALL have tried to lose weight and then for whatever reason stopped or 'fallen off the wagon'. The important thing is that you keep getting up and trying again. You've got this.

:flowerforyou:
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    The way to be successful at losing weight is to make it a lifestyle change. I know that phrase gets thrown around a lot, but its because its true.

If your plan is to do this for a while and then stop when you've hit your goal weight, you'll just gain it all back. This has to be a new way of thinking and it has to be for life. When you get to your goal, you need to set a new one (doesn't have to be weight related).

And because its for life, there's no such thing as "falling off the wagon". We all mess up sometimes because we're not perfect. The important part is remembering this and getting back to it the next day. No self flagellation needed.
  • mizroxy13
    mizroxy13 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    You're back! No tail between the legs! It's a new beginning!

Feel free to add me! I'm on here all the time and have been through all of it. I finally had a breakthrough and have consistently been losing the proper amount of weight the right way. No matter what my goal is, I focus on losing just a pound for the week. If I focus on only those seven days and just that simple goal, it seems to work. I've been losing pretty effortlessly and nonstop. The only other things I adhere to are measuring EVERYTHING since I've had issues with portion sizes, and absolutely refusing to try anything I can't stick with long term (meaning forever!). That means I don't cut anything out since it's completely not sustainable long term. I'm not on a diet, I've changed my attitude to reflect the life that I want.

I started with four or five weeks of adjusting my macros and consistently eating the right way, and now I've added in weight training in addition to walking 5-7 miles four or five days a week. Let me know if you need anything! :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I started this with the thought that I wanted to get fit and avoid panic attacks. Yes I was, and am still, overweight but I kept in my head that I'm aiming to be fit. So I contacted a personal trainer.

The first thing he got me to do was log in here ..and add him as a friend (hello)

My fitness levels got better so quickly - like in 2-3 weeks I could do more than I ever thought I could, having him pushing me and reminding me that how I was feeling was normal was great. Also I've noticed my shape changing ...my waist is back but legs and hips are slimmer too.

Once here, I got into the calorie controlling ...I enjoy it ..I'm a little bit of a numbers geek so it became a game and a bit of an obsession. A friend at work told me one thing, he said "what's wrong with being hungry?" And it made me analyse the feeling every time I felt 'hungry' you know what? Sometimes I was just bored or it was not a bad feeling so I accepted it

I eat loads ...I started at 1200 cals and am now on 1430 (plus 50% exercise). I bought a fitbit so when I'm not at the gym I do at least 10k steps. I eat what I fancy if I can afford it but most of the time eat healthy,

I am looking forward to calorie logging for maintenance ...a ways into the future admittedly but how am I going to eat 2000 to 2300 calories seems quite daunting

This isn't a diet to me. This is how I'm going to live forever ...I don't hope, I know that

So I'm halfway there 23lbs down, 22 to go ....i've got this

You've got it too, cos it starts with this first step

:happy:
  • Marinaclare
    Options
    Hi everyone, its really nice to hear from you all and hear your kind words, and your own personal stories. I look forward to getting to know you better as we go on this mad journey!!
  • Katacheese
    Katacheese Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    What's important is that your ARE BACK.
  • glowingspark
    Options
    Welcome back and good luck with your goals! This is my 3rd time back here and I plan on doing it right as well.

What motivates me is the idea that someone could easily one day pick me up. I'm too heavy right now for anyone to.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I try not to think of MFP as starting or stopping. Some days I'm less perfect than others but each day is new. I just keep trying. You can do this. Tell everyone you know that you are working on improving your diet and exercise. Some will help you. Some will try to sabotage you. Some will be jealous of your results. Start today by logging everything that goes into your mouth. Make a commitment that even if you eat more calories than you planned to, it is all in the diary. This will help you figure out how many calories you burn in a day and what your goal should really be to lose weight. For the first two weeks, I just practiced logging, even before restricting calories. And don't cheat on your diary. That is only cheating yourself. Good luck! Just think how much better it is going to feel in two weeks. That alone can help you stay on track.
  • Vig83
    Vig83 Posts: 10
    Options
    Good luck! I added you and I can totally relate to your post! Let's get thin and get healthier! It's way more fun to have a support group! It motivates me and makes me accountable!
  • jerseygene
    jerseygene Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Welcome back and well done for it. As some have said its a life change not just a diet but that doesn't mean that you have to miss out on life and all the stuff that you enjoy you just have to look at it differently and have what you like in moderation so its only now and then and not just i feel like it so ill have it. Thats what i do and it seems to work for me and my motivation is my friends on myfitnesspal and my good friends and family at work and home.
  • BrownEyedSister
    BrownEyedSister Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Adding in my .02

I'm trying to be more focused on eating better and working out. Oh, and more consistency.

I lost 11 pounds in 2012 and then took a new job that didn't allow for workouts over lunch. At the end of the day I was too tired/lazy to workout and used that as an excuse as I put back on those 11 pounds and 3 more. :(
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Ive been on my fitness pal for far too long without using it correctly and having just gone on holidays, wearing a bikini was one of the most embarrassing things.

Ive realised one of my main issues is I diet in secret. I start a diet with the aim of coming out a few months later and having everyone say "wow, you look amazing". I think one of the reasons I do this is when I fail ( which I have done, alot) there is no explaining myself. I now need to lose 40lbs. Looking at such a big number to me, is quite intimidating. I go on a mad diet for 2-3 weeks, lose half a stone, then get disheartened.

So starting today, I am on track. Monitoring my intake, and most importantly, getting my flabby butt moving to burn some calories!! Im starting to remind myself that I want this, not anyone else. I am doing it for me. To feel confident.

I would love for you to add me, and if you seem I am inactive, you have every right to start telling me off!

In the meantime, what motivates you to stay on track??

I diet in secret too. Mostly because letting people know you're dieting opens you up to unwanted comments and advice.

Motivation is hard in any circumstances though. I tend to be more motivated when the weather is warm just because I don't like being cold. And when I'm not motivated to exercise I just keep using MFP to track so I don't gain.
  • karanicole80
    Options
    Welcome back! Feel free to add me if you like. I have over 100 pounds to lose overall and definitely need some motivation and help holding myself accountable. :smile:
  • Ashalotapus
    Options
    I am right there with you!! I am a fluffier girl and every time before this that I have tried to go on a diet, I hide it! I felt like people would just mock me, and of course all the diets failed! This time I have my whole family and a lot of my friends working out with me and eating clean! :smile: Welcome Back!
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    The way to be successful at losing weight is to make it a lifestyle change. I know that phrase gets thrown around a lot, but its because its true.

This. If your goal is to look good on vacation, or for summer, or for your wedding, you will fail. If you think of this as "dieting" you will fail. Even if you meet those short term goals, everything you accomplish will go away once the goal is met.

Your goal should be living a healthy lifestyle FOREVER.
  • SerendipitySkye
    SerendipitySkye Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I agree with what someone else said: "The important this is that you are back." I would love to add you and be there to encourage you. It truly does make such a difference. =) ~Skye
  • whitpitts
    whitpitts Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I got back into wanting to lose weight on July 14. I weighed 200 lbs and this Monday I weighed in at 184! My motivation hit me when I found fitnessblender.com and that is what REALLY got me through the first few weeks. It's a site run by 2 personal trainers who are husband and wife. They have 400+ free workout videos that you can do at home with little to no equipment (and more coming all the time) and I'm telling you, it feels like your working out with friends when you watch them. They don't breeze through their workouts. You watch them struggle to get through it just as much as you do sometimes. They are very laid back and I love working out to their videos on days I don't make it to the gym. They also offer recipes, advice (in the forms of video blogs and articles), and weight loss programs. I encourage you to check it out. It could change your life just like it has changed mine.

Here's a little something just to make you feel good.
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/article-detail/You-are-Good-Enough-Pass-it-On-/cm/