Vegetarian Protein Options

Options
nbkp2ge
nbkp2ge Posts: 39 Member
Dear MFP

I am a vegetarian and I understand what I need to have when it comes to Good Carbs and Good Fats. However when it comes to protein I'm finding this really diificult being a vegetarian.
Any suggestions how I can get my daily intake of protein?

Thank You:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Have you tried quorn products they are apparently good for protein.

Just went to look at my diary and there is 15g of protein in 100g of quorn mince :smile:
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hi

Hemp Protein powder is one option, you can also find protein in Tofu, Soya, Quinoa, beans, lentils, nuts and seeds.
    :smile:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms, green veg, greek yoghurt, cottage cheese.

Do you eat fish and/or seafood..lots of protein in these
  • JoanneKendrick
    JoanneKendrick Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, quorn, torfu, chick peas, lentils, soya milk, almond milk, soya beans, nuts, seeds, broccoli, spinach:-)
  • coachfeliciad
    coachfeliciad Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Dear MFP

I am a vegetarian and I understand what I need to have when it comes to Good Carbs and Good Fats. However when it comes to protein I'm finding this really diificult being a vegetarian.
    Any suggestions how I can get my daily intake of protein?

Thank You:flowerforyou:

I've been a vegetarian for 16 yrs (vegan for 1). Great sources are lentils, beans/legumes, quinoa, tofu, seitan, tempeh, soy beans, nuts, seeds, raw almond butter and peanut butter (PB2 rocks). Also cottage cheese, soy milk, yogurt (silk makes a great vegan dairy free yogurt). You can make your own burgers out of the lentils and beans or buy ready made patties from Boca and Morning Star. Other brands that are great who make some tasty ready made food is Quorn, Light Life, Tofurkey. Vegetarian/vegan cheese brands are Teese, Daiya and Go Veggie. There are others but I prefer these. Then there's protein powders (hemp, rice, soy, pea). I love to go between Sun Warrior, warrior blend vanilla and Optimum Nutrition 100% soy vanilla bean. Both have about 120 cals/less than 2 grams of fat/less than 2 grams of carbs and over 20 grams of protein. Biggest thing is getting in the pros without going over the carbs. Hope this helps!

-Felicia
  • nbkp2ge
    Options
    Awesome...Thanks guys....this is really helpful:wink:
    Exactly the information I was looking for.

Thank You All x
  • tony1307
    tony1307 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Morning Star makes a variety of vegetarian foods. Most have good amounts of protein
  • tillymush
    tillymush Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i normally make a batch of quorn "chicken pieces" with veg! that and greek yoghurt!
  • nbkp2ge
    Options
    Thanks Tony1307 I'll definately take a look at that!!!

tillymush - how do you make quorn chicken pieces? or do you buy it from the supermarket?
    I've seen the quorn products around in the supermarket but wasn't sure if it was healthy...or processed!!!
  • tennisgirl444
    tennisgirl444 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    When I was vegan, I was a really big fan of the Vega brand and would often make smoothies with their vanilla chai protein powder: http://myvega.com/. they also make bars!
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    some of the foods listed here aren't very high in protein; quinoa has complete protein, but only 6 grams per serving, and mushrooms are negligible. eggs (egg beaters, egg whites and whole eggs) are high in protein, greek yogurt is packed with it, and don't forget low fat cheese and other dairy. soy offers complete protein, but softer tofu has less of... well, everything than firm tofus.

my hubby and son say gardein burgers and morningstar farms sausages and riblets are delish. some quorn products are pretty tasty. i also like non-fat milk, bluebonnet protein isolate chocolate powder and unsweetened solgar whey to go vanilla that i sweeten with stevia.

btw, i'm lazy - i just through quorn or morningstar farms chicken pieces on a plate and microwave them :D
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    In addition to what's already been mentioned, there is seitan. It has 75g protein per 100 grams.

and tempeh has 31g protein per serving.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    As a Vegan for 15 years I always find this question quite bizarre. You have got to try really hard NOT to get enough protein. A normal balanced Vegan or Vegetarian Diet should get you plenty of protein with no problems yes if your heavily exercising you may wish to supplement it with some protein powder but generally it shouldn't be hard. There's beans especially soya 100g of brocolli has around 4g of protein, Brown rice half a cup has around 3g. A serving of porridge outs around 5g and so much more easily avilable protein in your food Protein's everywhere. Also don't worry about complete proteins because people don't eat like that we get our protein from various sources which easily supply all the essential amino acids

Don't over complicate it you do not need special foods as a Vegan or Vegetarian to get plenty of protein
  • nbkp2ge
    Options
    Excellent Guys...Thank You so much for taking the time out to respond to my question.:smile:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
  • nbkp2ge
    Options
    That's very useful Thank You HeartOnFire!!!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Beans. Or supplement with a shake or bar
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Protein bar
    Protein shake
    Hemp protein powder
    Black beans
    Navy beans
    White beans
    Kidney beans
    Chick peas
    Greek yogurt
    Broccoli
    Spinach
    Quinoa
  • piratesluver
    piratesluver Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You should check out the vegan line 'gardein'. They're really good!

I love the fishless filet, and the chick'n sliders.
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    LaReinaDeCorazones Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for about 3 years, I had a hard time at first getting enough protein but I'm getting better at it...cottage cheese, cheese, morning star, Boca and gardein products, eggs, beans and of course protein shakes with milk. ..I can't stand tofu so I have to figure stuff out...luckily there can also be protein in breads, pastas and such so they can add to the total in the end