This is SO hard! Need some help with meals pls!

Options

Replies

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Cooks Illustrated has some great recipies that aren't diet, but do good in the calorie department. Some of them sound odd, but so far, everything we've tried from them is tasty.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    1) you don't have to cut anything out. Just have less of it. I still have instant rice and fit it in my daily calories just fine. I bought Quinoa but I'm the only one who eats it.
    2) Check skinnytaste.com for delicious, healthy recipes
    3) You don't have to have salad every day... besides, if you count dressing, you're often better off just having veggies
    4) you don't have to make something fancy every night. Very often we just grill some meat or bake some fish, and have it with frozen veggies and sometimes some potatoes or rice. It's easy and healthy.

I get in a rut a lot though... Meal planning sucks.
  • lindaloup37
    Options
    I understand, suppers are really tough to make both healthy and pleasing to everyone. I don't have pasta much, the tiny serving size is disappointing to me. I will usually have sweet potatoes, roasted butternut squash, red potatoes, or brown rice as my "starch". Have you tried farro? I was sure it would be too healthy tasting, but it's nutty and delicious, and has fiber and protein. I also do flatbread or pita pizzas, which everyone seems to like, or soft tacos or quesadillas with leftover meat, beans or veggies.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    This is my absolute favorite side, I usually just add some LaGrille Vegetable seasoning if it's a side. If I do it as a main I'll add cherry tomatoes, onion and garlic. I even eat it for breakfast with a little cinnamon and sugar, it's pretty dang versatile.

This has a little bit of wheat in it, but it doesn't seem to bug me. Might be worth a shot, it's in with the rice at Loblaws, Zehrs or whatever Ottawa has.
    bcdb0192-d6dc-45ec-ac37-9a45844c12fb_zps9ce7c3d6.jpg

Meh, can't get the size right, but it's PC 5 grain blend. http://www.loblaws.ca/en_CA/products/productlisting/pc_5_grain_blendprod1730005.html
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    One thing weight watchers has are very good cookbooks. One I use a lot and my family likes is
    The weight watchers Powerfoods Cookbook. You can get it on amazon.

Most of the weight watchers cookbooks have really good recipes. This may give you ideas as to what to cook. My family gets bored unless I use recipes like these sometimes.
    Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • Juniper1221
    Juniper1221 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I did a chicken stirfry last night that my family loved. Just use chicken tenders or breasts cut up veggies of your choice. Maybe you could do half and half with the rice...half brown half white I've done that before and it tastes better than just plain brown rice. You're doing fantastic so far, lots of good changes, try not to get discouraged.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    "Healthy" is often a matter of context and dosage. I don't use "healthy" specific cook books...I just use cook books. I make my meals from healthful, whole, scratch ingredients. What's really important here is serving sizes and portions.

There's nothing inherently wrong with pasta...i eat it regularly...I am very healthy and fit. There is nothing wrong with white rice...there is nothing wrong with potatoes...there is nothing wrong with bread...etc, etc, etc, etc.

Most people have issues here because they have an extremely narrow view of what constitutes "healthy" and healthful eating/living. Reality is that if people took a step back and looked at their diet as a whole they would realize that most things are perfectly fine and healthful given proper context and dosage.

Best answer in this thread! :drinker:
  • joe_piercey
    Options
    If you're family doesn't like sprouts or asparagus, try roasting one or the other with some EVOO, garlic, salt, pepper. Then sprinkle a little FRESH grated parmesan cheese over them. I used to hate both, but enjoy them now simply because I cook them like that.

I'm with this guy. Love both after doing this!
  • jodeswood007
    jodeswood007 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This is my first post but I really wanted to share my diner adventures with you.

For me, I believe all things in moderation. I realized this one day making a family favorite quiche recipe. In an attempt to lower the calories, I replaced 1/3 cup of mayo with 1 avocado (my husband hates avocado too but mush it up enough you cannot taste it) to maintain the fatty consistency and used low fat cheeses. I kept the crust, cause it taste great with crust. Full egg, milk, ham and broccoli. Divided by 4 servings and it was still too many calories, I'd have no room for my glass of wine. So I divided each in half to give 8 servings and added a side of garden salad. YAY! Room for wine :)

So I started looking more into serving sizes. If a recipe is too many calories, I add another serving. My meatball sub casserole is amazing! But it had to go from 4 to 5 servings, saving me 200 calories. I also added chopped spinach too it because it was a veggiless recipe (if that is a word?). I add a side of salad or raw veggies to keep me full. The extra servings go in the freezer for a day when I don't make enough for lunch leftovers.

I've also started using our crock pot a lot, especially for chicken recipes. Some recipes can be made and will serve 8 or more, break down the calories and one serving is under 200 calories. Then go ahead and add your rice or pasta.

Take advantage of using items with a small amount of calories, Spices, Franks Red Hot, Soya Sauce, Chicken Stock ect..
    Best of luck, just remember if you deprive yourself it will be harder to stick with it long term.
  • joe_piercey
    Options
    This website is full of gluten free recipes. I honestly haven't tried many, but the ones my wife and I have tried have been good. Lots of desserts and meal ideas on here.

http://ohsheglows.com/
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at the recipe section here on My Fitness Pal??

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/14-recipes

:flowerforyou:
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I've read a lot of things that say you end up liking what you eat, rather than eating what you like, if that makes sense. Over time, if it's what's on the table, it's what your taste buds get used to. I do like your idea of getting to veto one food, although I think pickled herring and sardines should count as one food for me. ;-)

I heard an interview a few months ago (on NPR I think) in which the interviewee said that most people have to taste a new food 20-40 times before they gain an appreciation for it. I used to dislike most cruciferous vegetables. Now I like most of them. But I had to be willing to keep trying them.
  • HillSlug98239
    HillSlug98239 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that you're involving your kids in deciding what they eat. They're going to have to learn to make choices as adults; might as well practice that now!

I tried so hard to like quinoa. The only way I can eat it is if I add a bunch of shoyu (soy sauce). I can't stand kale, either: clearly, I will never be cool.

I really like millet. You cook it similar to rice. I'm not sure of its fiber content. It has a consistency similar to quinoa, but I find it much tastier.

I'd suggest stir fry. It's an easy way to introduce vegetables, and it makes a little bit of meat go a long way. My current big-time favorite sauce is: 2 tblsp hoisin sauce, 1 tblsp sesame oil, 1 tblsp oyster sauce. Whisk together and dump on stir fry in the last few minutes of cooking.

I love white rice. Seriously love the stuff. Brown rice is okay, but I don't really like it. Several years ago, I told my doctor I'd rather die than give up white rice. She laughed - she's Chinese, and I imagine she'd rather die than give up white rice, too. She pointed out that I didn't need to banish it from my life. I've cut way back on highly processed, ready-made foods and I'm a lot healthier for it. The white rice stays! There's also black rice, also know as "forbidden rice." It's not as processed as white rice. It's a beautiful purple when cooked.

Somen noodles are made with buckwheat, so they have fewer simple carbs than most other noodles. Since your Hubs is not a noodle fan, you can always make the noodles for you & the kids and he can eat his stir fry on something else. You can make large batches of rice or millet or other grains; it reheats easily and can be incorporated into a wide variety of meals. (I grew up eating fried rice for breakfast.)
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potato wedges - chop them into thick slices, parboil them (5 mins), then bake @ 400 for about 45 mins (or longer, depending on how thick). Usually after parboiling, I sprinkle with seasonings - salt. pepper & paprika is my fave. I have yet to get them suitably crispy without oil, but they make a tasty filling side-dish to most meats, and served alongside a salad makes a really healthy meal :) HTH!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I'm trying so hard to keep my meals clean and fresh and healthy!
    but my gawd I'm not finding it easy! Grocery stores sell so much HORRIBLE foods! I'm an avid pinterest addict and all the foods there always seem to be full of sugar. When you look up healthy recipes you find avocados ( which I just don't like ) and other foods i'm not a fan of. ( brusel sprouts, asparagus etc )
    We are taking out most gluten's also. I have noticed that me and my eldest daughter seem to be affected by it ( bloating, bad skin etch). Pasta is something else I'm trying to cut out.
    I have a few meals that I currently make that are super yummy and healthy. But I can count them on one hand! I have bought a bunch of healthy cookbooks, but the meals seem silly and too weird. Same thing with recipes online. I can spend HOURS ( wish this was an exaggeration ) on searching for a recipe for that night with no luck.

What am I doing wrong :( Why does it seem to hard?

What are some of your staple healthy, low calorie no gluten meals? and not pasta?

Things I have done to change our eating:

-Taken away white instant rice - We are slowly adding quinoa instead but the family isn't enjoying it.
    -Taken away anything breaded
    - Have added salad to almost all our suppers
    - Always lots of steamed from fresh or frozen veggies
    - No more pop drinks
    - always lots of fresh fruits and veggies cut up for easy snacks.

I know I'm doing good, I just struggle so much with suppers! I'm used to making a new recipe almost nightly for my family! that is what they are used to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You're trying to change too much at once.
  • kelleyshreve
    kelleyshreve Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    try using couscous in place of rice. whole grain variety. its a lot healthier.
    It does get difficult at times, comes with the territory. commercial america dosent want you eating healthy. it dosen tsell many cheesburgers and french fries. you have to change your mindset. you are changing your lifestyle. its not easy but it dose get easier with time. as it sounds, your family is already "adapting" with the kiddos now desiring salad. we started a new life style about 2.5 months ago...one thing we didnt do was push it on our kids. my wife and I ate different meals and slowly our children are wanting to eat healthier as well....make tacos with ground turkey instead of beef....low fat sour cream...fat free cheese....once you add the seasoning to the turley...its really hard to tell a difference at all!
    dont be afraid to "treat" your self a couple nights a month to a "regular" meal. just watch your portion sizes and most importantly. make it a point to walk and exercise as much as you can. my wife and I try to walk everyday, at least thats our goal. so now that that is our goal...when we dont walk one or two days. our new habits kick in and we MAKE the time to walk. it takes roughly 21 days for new habits to take hold...stick to your guns and try searching "healthy alternitives recipes for the meals you always ate before, or substitue the protiens (meat) in your existing recipes with turkey or chicken....black beamn burgers are tasty alternitives too... you can do this! just keep your goal in sight and keep shooting for it!
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Quick tip for quinoa - cook it in broth, not water. It tastes so much better!!!

It can be really hard to quit foods we like cold turkey and start with foods we don't like. Since your family doesn't like it yet, what if you tried mixing it with rice (or something else they like, such as couscous?) Do a higher portion of rice to start, then slowly up the amount of quinoa and lower the amount of rice as they get used to the taste/texture.

OR, try out different grains/seeds, like millet, farro, wheatberries, etc. There are lots of yummy whole grains out there, you might find something you like if you are willing to explore a bit. If you have a whole foods nearby, they usually have these foods in the bulk section so you can just buy a little to try, rather than a full bag that might go to waste.

You mention a lot of what you don't like, but what kinds of foods do you and your family enjoy? A lot of those can probably be made over to be healthier/cleaner. No need to eat asparagus, brussel sprouts (both way better roasted than steamed, by the way), avocado, or anything else if you aren't interested.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I second the skinnytaste website. Skinny kitchen is good too. They have been a huge help to me along with the Taste of Home Diet cookbooks. Through them I've learned that I can lighten up foods that we want to eat. We don't have to eat bland boring diet food. They show me that this can definetly be a lifestyle change and not a diet.

will be taking a look at it for sure! ty!
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Baked sweet potato rounds (EVOO misted on, salt, cayenne pepper) with ketchup... sort of like oven fries

Boneless skinless chicken breast (oil mis, seasoning, baked)

Ground turkey

Eggs!

baked tilapia

brown rice

quinoa

I am an onion-lover and this is what got me to eat green veggies. So I'd start by caramelizing onions in EVOO, salt and pepper, then add to

steamed broccoli
    spinach
    kale
    chard
    asparagus
    diced brussels sprouts

almost all of those veggies spent some time in the pan with the leftover olive oil, so got fried / crisped a little bit, too

eggs! this we have started eating more of! I will often steam a bunch at a time in my steamer and put them in the fridge for snacks, lunches and extra protein where I need it!

we are also doing smoothies! The kids will have kiddy smoothies now also! ( minus the kale) for breakfast! I haven't had chard yet.

I haven't tried tilapia yet . looking for a recipe that suits our family. I found lots that was breaded :/