What to do at gym?

Options
So bestie and I are working out in the morning before work, doing Just Dance - Just Sweat for 20 mins. Then after work 5ish, we are doing the gym for 30 minutes (to start).

What should we be doing? Friday we did elliptical, sit down bike thingy and treadmill, yesterday we did stepper, stand up leg movy thing (that was hard, did it for like 2 minutes then stopped. did not know how to use the machine properly), elliptical, sit down bike.

I noticed that the elliptical gives us the most calorie burn were as the bike and steppers are the lowest. I know at this point any sort of physical activity is a bonus..just want to make sure we are doing things worth while.

Our gym memberships come with 45 mins personal trainer - i just gotta wait for bestie to buy her membership (sept) and not the summer special one.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    get in there and pick things up...
    and then put them down.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I suggest working out at the gym.

All you're doing is cardio. Ease up on that and do some strength training.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    What the overs have said++ I recommend picking up a good beginners heavy lifting program like Strong lifts.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Pick up heavy things and put them down.
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    get in there and pick things up...
    and then put them down.

And then pick them back up again!!!
    Annnnd then put them back down.
  • pink_daisychain
    pink_daisychain Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    At the gym i go to i just ask the staff how to use machines and weights, which is best to use, how to use weight correctly ect and they are all really friendly and helpful. They cant give you a full session but im sure they will be able to give you tips and help you with any questions :) I was the same when i started at the gym and use to do the same things over and over but now im learning new things to add in just by asking. :smile:
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. Definitely lift heavy things at the gym. Find a beginners lifting program like Starting Strength, Strong Lifts, Strong Curves or New Rules of Lifting. Use the personal training session to make sure you are using proper form and have fun!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    What the overs have said++ I recommend picking up a good beginners heavy lifting program like Strong lifts.

This
  • goldiebrawn
    goldiebrawn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been following The New Rules for Weight Lifting for Women. http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women But I will say: it's a completely different way of going about things, vs cardio and calorie restriction.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Since you're doing cardio in the morning, do strength training in the evenings, every 2-3 days. Follow a good program, like Stronglifts 5x5 (free online).

By the way, elliptical always overestimate calories burned. Ignore them. Comparing heart rate will give the most accurate comparison.

By the way #2, have the trainer check your form on the squat (from Stronglifts). Tell them this when you first meet. If they decline, leave.
  • wonderish
    wonderish Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Ok, I know about the weight thing and I was going to wait until we see the personal trainer before lifting anything as I want us to do it properly and not hurt ourselves.

I'll look into some of the lifting programs. :) However, the bestie has a torn ligament in her right arm right now and i've been diagnosed with whatever is the elbows version of carpal tunnel.. would that effect the lifting?
  • bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Definitely echo the sentiments above. Lifting has made the biggest difference in my body's appearance.

I get the whole buddy system and using a friend as a motivator. However, no offense, your's sounds more like she's holding you back. You have to wait for her to get a full pass to start using the personal trainer, and you're going to base your own workouts on the fact that she has a torn ligament? I'd honestly do yourself a favour and just start seeing the personal trainer now and she can catch up when she can. Do this for yourself. Not for social time.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Ok, I know about the weight thing and I was going to wait until we see the personal trainer before lifting anything as I want us to do it properly and not hurt ourselves.

I'll look into some of the lifting programs. :) However, the bestie has a torn ligament in her right arm right now and i've been diagnosed with whatever is the elbows version of carpal tunnel.. would that effect the lifting?

I'd definitely let the personal trainer work with you if you have injuries. in the meantime though, you can still do body-weight squats and lunges as a start

Edit to add that while (in my humble opinion at least) free weights are better than machines, you can still use the lower-body machines until you get that personal trainer. They're generally designed so form's not as much of an issue, because it's only isolating one muscle and you're seated doing them.
  • wonderish
    Options
    Definitely echo the sentiments above. Lifting has made the biggest difference in my body's appearance.

I get the whole buddy system and using a friend as a motivator. However, no offense, your's sounds more like she's holding you back. You have to wait for her to get a full pass to start using the personal trainer, and you're going to base your own workouts on the fact that she has a torn ligament? I'd honestly do yourself a favour and just start seeing the personal trainer now and she can catch up when she can. Do this for yourself. Not for social time.

Her and I are in this together - I am fine waiting for her. I can do other things while waiting. :)
  • wonderish
    Options

I'd definitely let the personal trainer work with you if you have injuries. in the meantime though, you can still do body-weight squats and lunges as a start

Edit to add that while (in my humble opinion at least) free weights are better than machines, you can still use the lower-body machines until you get that personal trainer. They're generally designed so form's not as much of an issue, because it's only isolating one muscle and you're seated doing them.

I just spoke with one of my managers from work and he used to play pro football and will come to the gym with me on a weekend and show me how to lift and get'r done properly. He's going to be yelling in my face a lot lol
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options

I just spoke with one of my managers from work and he used to play pro football and will come to the gym with me on a weekend and show me how to lift and get'r done properly. He's going to be yelling in my face a lot lol

Awesome :smile: Good luck! Regardless of what you and your friend end up doing, make sure it's something you enjoy, because that'll help you stick with it that much better!
  • catrunsintowindow
    catrunsintowindow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go against the grain here, and say don't worry about lifting right away. Instead, go into the gym, and do what makes you feel comfortable and excited to come back.

You've got 40lbs to lose. At -1 lb a week, that's 10 months; saying nothing of maintaining that weight loss once you've done it. You've got time to figure **** out. If, right now, you're just going to the gym and running on the treadmill/elliptical for 20 minutes, that's OKAY. For a lot of people, it's pushing themselves to even get to that point. At this point, give yourself a break from needing to do everything 'perfectly', because the MOST important thing you can do right now is work on forming the habit of stepping through the gym doors 3x a week. Until that habit is formed, don't worry so much about what you do after - as long as you're sweating and getting some exercise in, it's better than what you were doing before.

After you get comfortable going into the gym and doing your thing, then you might concern yourself with adding in some strength training. Previous posters are correct, there is a lot benefit that can come from it. But TBH from your post you seem a bit overwhelmed already - please don't push yourself so far out of your comfort zone right away that you never want to come back to the gym. Give yourself some small goals - walk on the treadmill 5 min without stopping, run a mile, whatever is right for your fitness level - and let yourself be happy about your successes at the gym. Then you can slowly ease yourself into the other stuff.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    However, the bestie has a torn ligament in her right arm right now and i've been diagnosed with whatever is the elbows version of carpal tunnel.. would that effect the lifting?

Your elbow issue could act up, yes. But you won't know until you try the exercises. If it does act up, there are workarounds.
    Your friend should get a doctor's approval before lifting.

Intro training sessions rarely teach much - they're usually to upsell to a training package. And there are many bad trainers out there. I suggest watching form videos on Youtube and video yourself too. You can post your vids here if you're unsure of your form.
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go against the grain here, and say don't worry about lifting right away. Instead, go into the gym, and do what makes you feel comfortable and excited to come back.

You've got 40lbs to lose. At -1 lb a week, that's 10 months; saying nothing of maintaining that weight loss once you've done it. You've got time to figure **** out. If, right now, you're just going to the gym and running on the treadmill/elliptical for 20 minutes, that's OKAY. For a lot of people, it's pushing themselves to even get to that point. At this point, give yourself a break from needing to do everything 'perfectly', because the MOST important thing you can do right now is work on forming the habit of stepping through the gym doors 3x a week. Until that habit is formed, don't worry so much about what you do after - as long as you're sweating and getting some exercise in, it's better than what you were doing before.

After you get comfortable going into the gym and doing your thing, then you might concern yourself with adding in some strength training. Previous posters are correct, there is a lot benefit that can come from it. But TBH from your post you seem a bit overwhelmed already - please don't push yourself so far out of your comfort zone right away that you never want to come back to the gym. Give yourself some small goals - walk on the treadmill 5 min without stopping, run a mile, whatever is right for your fitness level - and let yourself be happy about your successes at the gym. Then you can slowly ease yourself into the other stuff.

^^ This.
  • wonderish
    Options

I set my goals to lose 50 lbs, and then I was going to re-assess after the 50lbs lost. I was at 251 in May and am now at 238, so I am progressing as I should be I think. I did Just Dance for 2 months and am now starting the gym, and going slowly. I just want to get the most out of my workouts right now. I do know that anything is better than nothing right now.

Thank you for all the helpful advise :)