Very little weight loss: Looking for non-traditional advice

Options

Replies

• justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Since you mention thyroid/glucose issues maybe get your RMR tested so you have a more precise idea where to start and eat at a deficit from there. What are your stats? I get that counting is not sustainable for you. It is not for me either and I do what you do to lose about 5 lbs. It makes me focus way too much on food. But on the other hand I am not in a hurry.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    In the past I measured food and calories. It is not something I can sustain for every meal for the rest of my life. So no, I do not currently count calories. However I do eat reasonable portions and periodically I will go back and count for a week at a time to make sure my portions are OK.

You don't have to do it for the rest of your life, just while trying to lose. It seems that you can naturally eat at maintenance without counting, so once you hit your goal, you'll be all set, but until then it seems like you'll have to count.
  • jwats8
    jwats8 Posts: 112
    Options
    Weigh and measure everything you eat. I run 20-30 miles per week and eat pretty healthy, but would not lose without counting every calorie I take in.
  • muppetkeeper
    muppetkeeper Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what advice you were expecting on a blog of a website built to count calories... All of the successful people on here count everything, all the time!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale, weigh your food = miracle solution. Really. Sure, it might not be sustainable long term for you, but I guess you can just complain that you're not losing weight and stay overweight instead. Personally, I'd rather take the 5 minutes a day it takes to weigh my food all my life if I have to, but rock my healthy weight body.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    (I don't count calories or measure food because it simply isn't realistic for me. From time to do I do it short -term as a way to re-orient myself to correct portions.)

Why is it unrealistic to properly weigh and measure your food? Unless you know how much food you are eating, you will continue with this road block. So far guessing hasn't worked for you.
  • CLM1227
    CLM1227 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Here is a "non-traditional" way to count calories.

Once a week (or however many times you CAN), prepare a menu plan for yourself and count the calories in the menu plan.

Prepare your food, measure it, and store it for easy grab & go eating throughout the week. If you want a bit of variety in your week, do 2 different menu plans and alternate days.

If you want snacking wiggle room, prepare menus with 100-200 calories less and ONLY count your snacking calories.

It is not traditional "count as you go" but pre-counting calories. However, you don't have as much on the fly choices and you HAVE to stick with your menu unless you plan to count as you go when you deviate.
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    I am a low carber by choice. It makes me feel much better and I have a lot more energy. This is a personal choice.
    Having said that, I still log all my food on here and watch my calorie intake, along with my carb intake.
    I do not believe the only reason I am losing weight is because of eating low carb. I have lost weight because I
    am in a calorie deficit and I exercise.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories or measure food because it simply isn't realistic for me.

if you aren't willing to try this, then I got nothing for ya
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Well, considering the only way too lose weight is to eat less than you burn, I'm not sure what kind of advice you're looking for. Eat less. If you aren't losing weight, you're eating too much. If you don't want to track calories, I guess just make a very conscious effort to cut calories. Try subbing out some ingredients in food you eat regularly for lower calorie items.
  • kathystrauss1
    kathystrauss1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that counting calories and weighing and measuring everything is the way to go. If you're not willing to put in the effort you could try the plate method. Make sure your plate is 1/2 filled with vegetables and 1/4 grains 1/4 meat/protein. I have never tried this but I heard it works for others. And use a smaller plate.
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    In the past I measured food and calories. It is not something I can sustain for every meal for the rest of my life. So no, I do not currently count calories. However I do eat reasonable portions and periodically I will go back and count for a week at a time to make sure my portions are OK.

Here's an idea. Scoop out your reasonable portion and then scrape 1/4 of it into the garbage.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Fortunately you don't need any nontraditional advice. Unless you are exempt to the laws of thermodynamics, you simply must eat less calories then you burn in a day. If you are currently not losing weight you are simply eating too much. As the 20 other people said, if you aren't counting calories you can never be sure how much you are eating but what you can be sure of, if you aren't losing weight, you're eating too much. My advice is eat less, and move more until weight starts coming off. That advice works for literally everyone.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Those weeks when you do check and find your "portions are ok"... either that calorie level is too high for you to lose OR (and most likely) the weeks you don't count you eat/drink more than the weeks you do.

A lot of the people who think they're 'very active' think that means they can eat whatever they want but that's often not the case.
  • mzco14
    mzco14 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I say try to count your calories atleast 4 days a week. Make sure your portion sizes are right. Have you downloaded the app to make it easier? Maybe counting points would be easier on Weight Watchers. I did that before coming here. Best of Luck
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If you aren't losing weight, you aren't in a deficit. If you aren't counting calories, you don't know how much you are eating. All the other traditional advice you listed is irrelevant at this point.

^Pretty much this. The only other thing I could suggest is liposuction.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    For all the talk, it always boils down to the same thing: Eat less and/or move more.

That's it. There is no other advice.

Your post says you've checked off weighing and measuring, but you say you don't do it. You don't have to, but if you want to play the numbers game, you have to weigh and measure.

Your post says you eat clean. I'm not sure what the definition of the word is, but if you mean "healthy", there is another contradiction because you make ice cream shakes.

Cut out the junk food. Save treats for occasional (rare) treats. Eat lots of fruits & veggies, only lean, white meats, whole grains and low-fat dairy. Remember to eat normal amounts (especially the meat and breads) if you refuse to weigh and measure. Berries are low-cal and really filling! Remember that it's okay to be hungry once in a while if you aren't eating as much as you need. You really, really need to see a nutritionist, since you have special dietary considerations. Ask your questions if they haven't been answere, like "How much fruit.", but she'll probably answer them.)

Exercise every day. Outside, if weather allows. The more you do, the more you lose and the more energy you have daily. Every little bit helps. In addition to workouts, park at the back of the lot and walk. Take the stairs. Lift your legs while watching TV. Clean the house - get a pillow for your knees, if you must, but get down on the floor and wash it. Move every chance you get. Go to bed TIRED.

That's not very typical advice, but you asked for atypical advice...and it's good advice, too.

If you want to lose, you have to do a LOT of work for a LONG time and you have to keep it up when the going gets tough.

See your endocrinologist. Synthroid levels take time to even out and start working. It's normal to be tired when you don't have enough hormone. It's normal to have to work a lot harder than others, even when they even out. It lets you lose, but it's not the same as people who have the hormone naturally. I don't have a thyroid and have to rely solely on the pills. I also have to take large amounts of supplements that interfere with the pills, so...I get it. But keep working. Don't stop.

Good luck.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Posting: "I don't count calories" on a site 99% dedicated to "counting calories" and questioning why you aren't losing weight...
    Let that sink in for a while.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with what everyone else is saying.
    I understand that counting calories, weighing and measuring everything you eat can be tedious and thinking that you will have to do that until you reach your goal weight and beyond is a bit disheartening to think about. But if you want to lose weight, that's just reality. I have had to come to terms with the fact that because of what I've done to myself (gained a lot of weight), if I want to be healthy, then weighing, counting, measuring are musts in my life.
    Eyeballing is not a good idea, it is not accurate, even if you really think it is. I can pretty much guarantee that you are underestimating your calorie intake.
    Best of luck!
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My weight loss became consistent only once I started counting calories. The first couple of weeks of intuitive eating had me losing weight (because I it stopped me from binge eating, so overall, I ate less). But for about 6 weeks after that, my weight loss was at a stall save for a pound or so. In the past two weeks that I have used MFP, I have lost 4 lbs. Counting calories has been crucial to making sure that I not only eat less but don't eat too little. It can be tedious, but I'd rather deal with entering stuff into my MFP app (10 minutes max of my day) than see my waist circumference increase with every passing month for the rest of my life.