Whoops, that 10k run is coming up...

Options
VeryKatie
VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
Heyo!

So I signed up for and started training for a 10k run. I was using a 12 week couch to 10k program. I got to about week 5 and then got lazy/started letting things get in my way.

I know I can run at least 1 mile without stopping. If I pushed I'm sure I could do more (though my program had me running by minutes - 5 run, 2 walk, repeat, or some other combo so I've never actually pushed myself past that 1 mile mark yet).

Do you guys think there is any way to get close to 10k in 30 days at my current state? I have been doing other cardio exercises like kick boxing, workout dvds, rollerblading, swimming, etc.

I heard somewhere (don't know where) that most people can add a mile a week... which means I should be able to get to at least 5 miles of running. Which gets me pretty close! But I don't know if that's actually true!

I'm willing to walk part of the 10k race if I need to. I never expected to run all of it in fact. But I would just like to know what you other runners might suggest.

I'm thinking I would run 5 days a week... and try to increase my distance of running by 1/5 to 1/4 of a mile each run. Is that reasonable or more like dangerous? I'd rather end up doing a good 4 to 4.5 mile per hour walking pace for more of the race than hurting myself now. I haven't had any problems with injuries (I get shin splints but now that I stretch my calves and shins longer and better I haven't gotten them).

Also, for running 5 days a week, would it be better to do consecutive rest days or nonconsecutive?

Thanks for any input! I appreciate it greatly and intend to listen as well. The race was only $15 after all. Not worth tearing a muscle or something just to not be last place.

Option 1 (Consecutive rest days):

o2a9uzwv3

Option 2 (Nonconsecutive rest days except when camping):

shid2l0ar

Replies

• LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    You can probably do it.... don't kill yourself training for it. I would not do consecutive rest days.... split them up... I wouldn't try adding .25 per run... I would just try running a little further each time... push yourself, but don't hurt yourself.... you will be going into the race a little under-trained, but that's ok... you'll finish it. And next time you won't be such a slacker. ;-)
  • VeryKatie
    Options
    Haha yes... I am a slacker... bad things usually ensue...
    Thanks for the advice. Should I put 2-3 days of running between each rest? I'm guessing doing 1 doesn't make much sense.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the second half of the couch to 10k right now (I finished c25k a while back, so i picked it up where that one left off instead of starting over).

I would just stick with the training plan to improve while you have time. It's just one 10k, not worth injuring yourself over by overtraining. If you stick with the program for the next month, you'll be running farther than you are now. Just run what you can and walk when you need to.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Is your aim to run the 10k or run/ walk it? If the latter then its doable, if its the former then you're risking injury. I believe the general guide is to only increase your distance by about 10% a week. As for rest days - non consecutive. I'd also suggest running 3 days a week and cross training (swimming, cycling, elliptical or something similar) for the other 2 days to reduce the tsrain on muscles and joints not used to running whilst maintaining/ increasing your cardio performance.
  • VeryKatie
    Options
    I should probably add that I'd like to do it in less than 1 hour and 15 minutes. So I think mostly running with some walking is fine. Especially at this point!
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Yeah.... you may want to listen to these more conservative posters...lol... my ultra-running brother always makes me believe I can run really long races... I forget sometimes he is not normal and then I try passing his attitude off on to others...lol
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I should probably add that I'd like to do it in less than 1 hour and 15 minutes. So I think mostly running with some walking is fine. Especially at this point!
    If you can only run 1 mile now you are unlikely to be able to complete a 10k in 30 days time in sub 1:15 without risking injury whilst training and missing the race completely. I'd strongly suggest being sensible and ditching the time goal and just plan on finishing without hurting yourself!
  • parker313_99
    parker313_99 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you can only run 1 mile now you are unlikely to be able to complete a 10k in 30 days time in sub 1:15 without risking injury whilst training and missing the race completely. I'd strongly suggest being sensible and ditching the time goal and just plan on finishing without hurting yourself!

Agreed. Stick with the training plan as you're running it now. You could also try using run/walk intervals - maybe 3-1 or 5-2.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I've been running for years and I run 10k in 1hr 10 or 1hr 15 depending on my fitness level. You should be aiming for getting to the start line injury free then run/walk the race in whatever time it takes. Don't overdo the training or you won't make it to the start line. Increase your weekly long run every week so that you are on your feet for an hour the week before the race. If you are fit from your other activities you WILL get round. Good luck.
  • VeryKatie
    Options
    Well I was already up to running 7 minute intervals and I can walk easily at 13 - 13.5 min/miles for hours already... so I'm not too worried about meeting that 1:15 goal haha - just a little bit of running and I'll be there (considering I did 4.38 miles in 56 minutes of walking only for the marathon relay in my city - that would calculate out to 80 minutes for 6.2 miles).

But I know it's not the end of the world if I don't beat that time - in fact I doubt I'd even feel disappointed. The only way I'd be disappointed with myself is if I use the excuse of not having trained properly to skip the event entirely plus not even train any further. I'd rather walk the whole thing than do that.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I do plan on just sticking with the running program now based on your advice, but I may switch to running every other day instead of 3 times a week for a slight acceleration.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Good for you- sounds like you know it all and don't need any advice after all.
  • VeryKatie
    Options
    Good for you- sounds like you know it all and don't need any advice after all.
    Haha I hope you meant that in a good way! You guys definitely talked me out of trying to run 5 times a week and adding a mile a week. I was feeling very... "Why the heck did I put it off!?" and gung-ho, you know? Sometimes we all need those reality checks :)