Shakeology?

Options

Replies

• notamoment
    notamoment Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Way over priced. If you want to replace a meal with a shake-like drink you can get the same thing at a grocery store for a lot less. It doesn't taste all that great either unless you add banana and peanut butter or other fruits.

Chocolate ice cream, a scoop of protein, some milk, half a banana and a strawberry...thats how i roll :smokin:
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    It will just lighten your wallet.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I expect all the figure and physique competitors posting here to bash me at this point...but how many of them would take your phone calls and help get you started off right, add you to a private support system and answer your questions throughout the day? Help you generate meal plans that actually work for your goals and your schedule?

I'm a bodybuilder. I am here day in and day out offering free advice, private support, answering questions, getting them real results without selling them anything or making money off of them (most of the time I actually save them money).

She is the devil, but she keeps them coming back for more with her dirty diary and free advice its sickening she should be eating clean, drinking shakeology, and charging $180 a month. ;p

Hahaha This made me evil laugh! :devil:
  • leojsivad
    leojsivad Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have drank it for almost 3 years. I enjoy it, although I can see why others don't.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Yes I am a bit biased. Do you need Shakeology to lose weight...no. IMO it does make it easier. Shakeology is a nutritionally dense shake that replaces a meal. Yes it is not the cheapest shake out there but it is not just a protein shake...I challenge everyone to look into the ingrediants. Dose anyone here spend >$4 on a meal? If so you might consider replacing that meal with Shakeology.

I actually don't spend >$4 on any meal. I would venture to guess MOST people don't do that. I buy pretty much whatever I feel like (I am lucky enough that I don't have a super strict grocery budget), and between my wife and myself, we spend on average $140 a week on food. This includes more expensive gluten free foods (because my wife has Celiacs), miscellaneous non-food items (toilet paper, paper towels, etc). So, divided evenly, we spend $70 per person per week. That means $10 a day per person. And, eating only 3 meals a day (I personally eat 3 large meals and 3 small snacks, because that's what I like to do. Not because it's "better" or whatever), it divides into $3.33 per meal.

TL;DR shakeology isn't remotely close to a good deal by literally any measure.
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You don't need bacon either...but you still eat it.

A lot of people drink it for the benefit of weight loss...but it shouldn't be everyones goal. I personally lost the majority of my weight years ago (5 to be exact). I'm no longer in weight loss mode. I'm in fat loss mode/body composition. Not interested at all in weight loss. It's about improved the inside, as much as the outside is being repaired.

You don't have to like my opinion, but I gave my opinion. She's not looking for everyone to say "No, don't get shakeology". All of you people throw tantrums everytime someone doesn't agree with your opinion on Shakeology. We're entitled to an opinion as long as it falls in line with yours? Right?!
    ok. I use shakeology daily. This is probably my favorite thing ever. No, its not overpriced. the way I see it, I could either be paying for a bunch of food to make up a breakfast, or I could be paying for this shake. its not junk, its done wonders for me. If you are interested in learning more about it let me know! I'm more than willing to help you figure out if its worth your money!

A dozen eggs and a package of bacon costs around $5 and covers breakfast for 3 days.
    A package of chicken and several cans of vegetables costs $12 and covers lunch for an entire week.
    A bag of potatoes costs $5 and lasts 3-4 weeks.

With your beachbody coach discount a single shake costs you $3.32.

Explain how that isn't over priced.

I don't know where you live but bacon here costs $5.99 a package, $4.99 if you find it on sale (plus we're one of the states that have sales tax on food, so add in more). Eggs about $2 a package. Eggs bacon, chicken, and canned veggies (hello sodium!!) don't contain spirulina, wheat grass, yacon root, goji berry, acai, flax, etc. I'd rather may more and keep the garbage out of my temple.

We have tax here too. Even for a couple of dollars more for a few days of food it comes out to less than the shakes you drink. You do not need spirulina, wheat grass, yacon root, goji berry, acai or flax to lose weight. Several of those are proven to do nothing for you. The vitamins in the shake are not even high quality.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    You don't need bacon either...but you still eat it.

A lot of people drink it for the benefit of weight loss...but it shouldn't be everyones goal. I personally lost the majority of my weight years ago (5 to be exact). I'm no longer in weight loss mode. I'm in fat loss mode/body composition. Not interested at all in weight loss. It's about improved the inside, as much as the outside is being repaired.

You don't have to like my opinion, but I gave my opinion. She's not looking for everyone to say "No, don't get shakeology". All of you people throw tantrums everytime someone doesn't agree with your opinion on Shakeology. We're entitled to an opinion as long as it falls in line with yours? Right?!

I never told you to not have or not share your opinion. You can post that you like it and what benefits you've personally felt came from using it. Just like I can come in here and share that people can save money by not buying it, but still get results.

Comparing bacon to spirulina, wheat grass, yacon root, goji berry, acai or flax is absolutely irrelevant. I don't eat bacon because I think it "keeps my temple clean" I eat it because it fills my fat and protein macros. I have a functioning liver and kidneys, so I'm pretty cleaned out. My body composition is excellent and all my health markers are exceptional.

That's great if you found something that you like, but it is absolutely unnecessary for fat loss, health or body composition. That's why we come in here and give our opinions on it. We want people to know that Shakeology is entirely unnecessary and expensive. If they choose to spend their money on it that is entirely up to them. You've taken this whole thing as an attack on you, when all I am saying is that it is expensive and unnecessary.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Just go with science. There's no peer reviewed clinical study showing that drinking any supplemental drink for weight loss is more advantageous/superior than just meeting your essentials (macro/micros) and being in a calorie deficit. What's the biggest difference? Cost and preference.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Just go with science. There's no peer reviewed clinical study showing that drinking any supplemental drink for weight loss is more advantageous/superior than just meeting your essentials (macro/micros) and being in a calorie deficit. What's the biggest difference? Cost and preference.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

http://www.news10.com/story/26016752/shakeology-has-been-clinically-proven-to-help-lose-weight-and-get-healthy
  • usmcmp
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

http://www.news10.com/story/26016752/shakeology-has-been-clinically-proven-to-help-lose-weight-and-get-healthy

I can't find a link to the actual study. Can you provide the study and not a link to the news article?

I searched the National Institute of Health database and the National Library of Medicine and even the Medicus Research library (those are the people who claimed to have done the study). There's absolutely nothing on any of them that have this study. Even a google search of the Dr. who claims to have done it shows nothing except the news article.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

not-sure-if-srs.gif

Edit: It's funny they actually cited their "source".
  • elleloch
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I can't find a link to the actual study. Can you provide the study and not a link to the news article?

I searched the National Institute of Health database and the National Library of Medicine and even the Medicus Research library (those are the people who claimed to have done the study). There's absolutely nothing on any of them that have this study. Even a google search of the Dr. who claims to have done it shows nothing except the news article.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=medicus+research+clinical+study+on+shakeology+
  • usmcmp
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

The study didn't come up. I want the study. Not a video or news articles or the beachbody/shakeology websites. I want the form with the methodology and the measurements and all the data.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Lol, okay so if the didn't change ANYTHING in their diet or exercise, but just drank Shakeology, how did the 9 pound loss happen?:laugh: Magic?
    They did not increase their physical activity and they did not change anything with their diet. The only part of their lifestyle that was changed was Shakeology. This was meant to isolate the actual effect that Shakeology has on overall health.
    Kinda defies the laws of thermodynamics eh?

The same "research" company (who are paid by the companies asking for feedback) also supports the Dukan diet and other diets that are not very sustainable.

But I digress. It still doesn't compare if eating less while meeting essentials is more advantageous. The gist of any weight loss program is going to come down to calories in/out regardless of how one achieves it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • elleloch
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

The study didn't come up. I want the study.

Sorry - I've been looking.

They are in the process of getting it published. I'll be waiting.
  • Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    lol
    All 50 clinical trial participants were required to drink Shakeology for breakfast and lunch for 90 days. No other diet or exercise changes were required.
    Participation in the clinical trial was monitored using a proprietary app to track weight and compliance every day.
    “This is a very valuable study because it isolates the effect of Shakeology, and the results were impressive. Having had the Shakeology shake at breakfast we found statistically significant reductions in the desire to eat at lunch. Subjects in this study lost nearly 10lbs on average and up to 24lbs which is quite remarkable for a 90 day study.

I wonder what the results would have been like if they were required to eat sawdust for breakfast and lunch. Probably even more impressive weight loss.
    sigh.
    No control group drinking the shakes of competition.
    No nothing.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I'm just here for the entertainment... and for usmcmp's abs and Hornby's legs... good god dem muscles!!! That they didn't use shakeology to get!!!

In all honesty I have so many beach body friends that they actually gave me free samples to get me on the band wagon. They all tasted disgusting and they all had recipes that bulked up the shakes to around 500 calories just to make them drinkable. I think it's overrated. I did feel a little more energy during the day but that isn't enough to fork out that kind of money for that crap. I would rather stick to the higher quality vitamins and minerals and buy my own protein powder or cheaper meal replacements if I needed a quicker more nutritious option because I "don't have time to make a healthy balanced meal".

Good luck OP!:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I suspect we'll *all* be waiting.
  • lizarddev
    lizarddev Posts: 100 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I suspect we'll *all* be waiting.

Ok, This is really something to read. Anything can be proven based on anything someone says. I did the research on the Doctor and the company that did the study and I have issues with this. I do have a Doctor but in computer Science and I had to go through a strenuous application when and if I did a study with or without human subjects, we all do if you go for a doctorate. It takes a minimal of 3 months to be approved for a study without human subjects and it is very detailed in the steps and the goal you are trying to achieve. This company states that they can get it done in 24 to 48 hours (http://www.medicusresearch.com/cro-or-universities/), which is not going through a Institutional Review Board (IRB) correctly to protect human subjects, IRB's protects the human subjects in a study. If this is medical like this study would be then there will be a medical IRB (example: http://www.cpmc.org/professionals/research/irb/compliancestatement.html). There is a lot more that has to be done which I wont go into here. Also the company that allegedly did the research is listed as a MRI company per the Better Business Bureau (BBB). The Doctor that did the study owns this company, but he wrote papers in these areas but has not released this study for some reason. There is a theory that he developed to study and test natural health products, but I see nothing on this particular study even on his linked in page of a release. Another fact is that a study is not announced unless they are in the process of publishing through some publishing committee. This takes between 4 to 6 months to do in some cases. The article that you have listed in here is from July 14 of this year. mainframe of a study is off. HE may be in the process but nothing has been published. So now we can go to the ingredients which this is nothing new where I can by most of this stuff that goes in and measure it myself and make or have the same results. That is no different than buy a whey protein at Walmart and incorporating the ingredients which will last me for over a month at half the price. Also the facts is that I can do the same with this type of protein drink and get the same results and sometimes better depending on how I use it and how I incorporate it in my eating plan.

Now lets compare.
    1. It may be a good meal replacement, so is Whey protein.
    2. This is not a fix all loose weight drink cause I can do the same with Whey protein at Walmart which is cheaper and replace a meal or two with it.
    3. Another is you need to exercise regularly as stated in health forms with both of these.

Last thing to say is too each his/ her own and what you may think works go with it and get healthy. That is the ultimate goal we are all trying to achieve.

So to the original author, If you want to use this product there is no need for me to tell you no or yes. This is completely up to you and its only you who can do it or not. Everyone is different on how they lose and they way you lose weight you just have to find yours that works and keep your self healthy. I hope this answered a bunch of questions or skepticism. I bet not someone will have at it. My post is not from opinion it is from fact and research.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'm just here for the entertainment... and for usmcmp's abs and Hornby's legs... good god dem muscles!!! That they didn't use shakeology to get!!!

You....I like you, but please don't put me in the same sentence as usmcmp. She is on a whole other level...lol. :)