Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Eat protein for your current weight or goal weight?

rh091
rh091 Posts: 100 Member
I've heard and read varying stances on this question. When it comes to protein, should I be eating the amount of grams for my current weight, or the amount of grams appropriate for my goal weight? Right now my goal is set at about 100 grams a day, which I find as a vegetarian is a bit hard to reach, and then it goes up with exercise. I am eating balanced meals with considerable amounts of protein at each meal (my diary is public). I'm 22 years old, 5'5 and weigh 245 lbs - my goal weight is 160 lbs and I eat about 1600 cals/day. I currently eat between 65-80 g of protein per day. Im on my third week of tracking and weight loss, I lost quite a few pounds the first 2 weeks and then only lost 0.8 lbs this past week and am wondering if my protein intake has anything to do with it. I exercise 3 times a week of 45 mins of cardio and 20-25 mins of strength training (my gym has a full body strength circuit) and aim for a fourth day of cardio or long walk. Any input would be greatly appreciated! What impacts will my protein levels have on weight loss

Replies

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    you should be eating between 0.8 and 1 gram of protein per pound of LBM (Lean Body Mass) to calculate that take your current weight and subtract your BF%.

100grams sounds about right.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,736 Member
    you should be eating between 0.8 and 1 gram of protein per pound of LBM (Lean Body Mass) to calculate that take your current weight and subtract your BF%.

This works, if you know your BF%.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member

For 245 pounds, 100 grams sounds very low frankly. I'd change your goals to 40% carb, 30% fat, 30% protein.
  • rh091
    rh091 Posts: 100 Member
    How can I pack in more protein without going over calories (vegetarian sources), without eating too much soy?
  • asdowe13
    How can I pack in more protein without going over calories (vegetarian sources), without eating too much soy?

Check this out for some ideas.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Legumes
  • asdowe13

a light read to give you a rough idea on how to calculate your bodyfat.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/02/body-fat-percentage/
  • greek yogurt, eggs (don't be afraid of them - cholesterol isn't what they thought it was 20 years ago), cottage cheese, hemp seeds, various protein powders (if you want to stay away from whey, which i totally understand, i use one made out of pumpkin seeds which tastes fine)
  • asdowe13

For 245 pounds, 100 grams sounds very low frankly. I'd change your goals to 40% carb, 30% fat, 30% protein.

My bad, i missed the 245 and only saw the 160.

So yes 100 grams is a little light.
  • asdowe13
    greek yogurt, eggs (don't be afraid of them - cholesterol isn't what they thought it was 20 years ago), cottage cheese, hemp seeds, various protein powders (if you want to stay away from whey, which i totally understand, i use one made out of pumpkin seeds which tastes fine)

They also have a hemp protein powder
  • if you're vegan, you really have to switch to high fat and lift heavy weights otherwise you'll look like a raisin
  • greek yogurt, eggs (don't be afraid of them - cholesterol isn't what they thought it was 20 years ago), cottage cheese, hemp seeds, various protein powders (if you want to stay away from whey, which i totally understand, i use one made out of pumpkin seeds which tastes fine)

They also have a hemp protein powder
    totally! i didn't suggest it because i really don't like how it tastes hahaha. but yeah!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I do mine based on LBM, so ideally it shouldn't change much.

My goal is 120, and assuming I was no more than 25% BF at that weight, it would be at least 90 LBM. I don't know my current BF level, but 90-something is consistent with what I get from the body fat scale and with how I looked at 120-130 last time I was there. So to err on the side of caution and positive thinking (as I'd eventually like to gain some LBM), I aim for at least 100 grams of protein. Specifically, 30% of my current base goal is 105, so I do that.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    My protein amount is based on my current LBM.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,736 Member

a light read to give you a rough idea on how to calculate your bodyfat.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/02/body-fat-percentage/

I've read that before. :tongue: I am actually having a body composition (calipers and measurements) on September 3rd, and resting metabolic testing, because I am a numbers dork :blushing: