Eat protein for your current weight or goal weight?

Options
rh091
rh091 Posts: 100 Member
I've heard and read varying stances on this question. When it comes to protein, should I be eating the amount of grams for my current weight, or the amount of grams appropriate for my goal weight? Right now my goal is set at about 100 grams a day, which I find as a vegetarian is a bit hard to reach, and then it goes up with exercise. I am eating balanced meals with considerable amounts of protein at each meal (my diary is public). I'm 22 years old, 5'5 and weigh 245 lbs - my goal weight is 160 lbs and I eat about 1600 cals/day. I currently eat between 65-80 g of protein per day. Im on my third week of tracking and weight loss, I lost quite a few pounds the first 2 weeks and then only lost 0.8 lbs this past week and am wondering if my protein intake has anything to do with it. I exercise 3 times a week of 45 mins of cardio and 20-25 mins of strength training (my gym has a full body strength circuit) and aim for a fourth day of cardio or long walk. Any input would be greatly appreciated! What impacts will my protein levels have on weight loss

Replies

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    you should be eating between 0.8 and 1 gram of protein per pound of LBM (Lean Body Mass) to calculate that take your current weight and subtract your BF%.

100grams sounds about right.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options
    you should be eating between 0.8 and 1 gram of protein per pound of LBM (Lean Body Mass) to calculate that take your current weight and subtract your BF%.

This works, if you know your BF%.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

For 245 pounds, 100 grams sounds very low frankly. I'd change your goals to 40% carb, 30% fat, 30% protein.
  • rh091
    rh091 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    How can I pack in more protein without going over calories (vegetarian sources), without eating too much soy?
  • asdowe13
    Options
    How can I pack in more protein without going over calories (vegetarian sources), without eating too much soy?

Check this out for some ideas.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Legumes
  • asdowe13
    Options

a light read to give you a rough idea on how to calculate your bodyfat.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/02/body-fat-percentage/
  • themeaningofthemorning
    Options
    greek yogurt, eggs (don't be afraid of them - cholesterol isn't what they thought it was 20 years ago), cottage cheese, hemp seeds, various protein powders (if you want to stay away from whey, which i totally understand, i use one made out of pumpkin seeds which tastes fine)
  • asdowe13
    Options

For 245 pounds, 100 grams sounds very low frankly. I'd change your goals to 40% carb, 30% fat, 30% protein.

My bad, i missed the 245 and only saw the 160.

So yes 100 grams is a little light.
  • asdowe13
    Options
    greek yogurt, eggs (don't be afraid of them - cholesterol isn't what they thought it was 20 years ago), cottage cheese, hemp seeds, various protein powders (if you want to stay away from whey, which i totally understand, i use one made out of pumpkin seeds which tastes fine)

They also have a hemp protein powder
  • themeaningofthemorning
    Options
    if you're vegan, you really have to switch to high fat and lift heavy weights otherwise you'll look like a raisin
  • themeaningofthemorning
    Options

They also have a hemp protein powder
    totally! i didn't suggest it because i really don't like how it tastes hahaha. but yeah!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I do mine based on LBM, so ideally it shouldn't change much.

My goal is 120, and assuming I was no more than 25% BF at that weight, it would be at least 90 LBM. I don't know my current BF level, but 90-something is consistent with what I get from the body fat scale and with how I looked at 120-130 last time I was there. So to err on the side of caution and positive thinking (as I'd eventually like to gain some LBM), I aim for at least 100 grams of protein. Specifically, 30% of my current base goal is 105, so I do that.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    My protein amount is based on my current LBM.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options

a light read to give you a rough idea on how to calculate your bodyfat.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/02/body-fat-percentage/

I've read that before. :tongue: I am actually having a body composition (calipers and measurements) on September 3rd, and resting metabolic testing, because I am a numbers dork :blushing: