can't stop eating before bed

Options
Hi everyone!
I am looking for some input and advice on this. I have always heard that to have good, effective weight loss, it is important not to eat before going to bed, suggested cut-off times have ranged from 6pm to 8pm.
I have been trying really hard to do this, but most days, I just cannot get to sleep if I haven't eaten at least a snack. And when I do manage to fight the urge to eat (because it might just be force of habit to eat while watching tv before falling asleep), I end up waking up around midnight of 2AM, wide awake, really wanting to eat something. It is hard to fight, because I am still sort of asleep, and end up eating worse food/larger quantities that I might have if I consciously portioned out a snack for myself. After I eat, I feel satisfied, and am able to fall back asleep much more easily.
Does this happen to anyone else? Any suggestions?
I have tried just drinking tea with a bit of honey as my 'evening snack', but although that helps me get to sleep without major food cravings, I wake up at midnight feeling hungry.
Thanks in advance for your help!!

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is petty much irrelevant to weight loss. Assuming it fits your calories, plan for a snack that you, personally, find satisfying, and eat it before you go to bed. Also, your diary is closed, so I have no idea what your actual intake is, but it may be possible you just need to eat more in general during the day.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    try celery with peanut butter can be a good healthy snack and be filling at the same time.

29509743.png
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Replies in bold within your quote.
    I have always heard that to have good, effective weight loss, it is important not to eat before going to bed, suggested cut-off times have ranged from 6pm to 8pm. Not true. Meal timing is irrelevant. If you are averaging a weekly calorie deficit you'll lose weight

Does this happen to anyone else? Yes. I can't go to bed hungry and usually eat 300-500 calories within an hour or two of going to bed.
    Any suggestions? Don't worry about it, maintain a calorie defict and you'll lose.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Your body is digesting food whether you're awake or not. I have a snack every night, sometime between 11 and 1 a.m., so that I can take my pills, but it's not stopped me from losing 34 pounds. Just eat at a calorie deficit and you should be fine.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    If it's within your calorie budget, there's nothing wrong with eating before bed. I snack quite a bit in the evenings, but I save the calories for it.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I stuff my face til 8pm every night, in bed no later than 9...I've lost 26lbs since 5/1/2014.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    The whole "don't eat after x time" is just a technique people use to consume fewer calories... but some how it got blown up into some magical time cut off. Nothing wrong with simply saving some of your calories for a bedtime snack. I save for a bedtime snack almost every night.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, eat!

Save up some calories for the evening or eat really low-cal snacks.
  • jkoz050
    jkoz050 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! This was very helpful :)
  • jkoz050
    Options
    If it happens AFTER I have gone to bed, I end up eating whatever I can find in the cupboards. Sometimes it's nuts (not portioned) or pretzels, crackers, or anything else that is easily accessible and quick. I find I get really desperate at night. If it's BEFORE bed, I will choose something like air popped popcorn or a frozen banana blended with some milk, maybe 10 cashews.
  • jkoz050
    Options
    The whole "don't eat after x time" is just a technique people use to consume fewer calories... but some how it got blown up into some magical time cut off. Nothing wrong with simply saving some of your calories for a bedtime snack. I save for a bedtime snack almost every night.

That makes me feel much better, actually. Thank you!
  • valkaree
    valkaree Posts: 519
    Options
    Calories is like money. You have so much in your bank account. When it is gone you can't spend anymore. Calories are the same. Doesn't matter when you spend them but when you are out you are done eating for the day. You get paid in calories daily just don't jump the gun and spend them all to early in the day.
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    ive always felt like I needed to eat before bed because if I didn't I would wake up in the middle of the night with a growling stomach. now I just eat dinner later and I wont need to feel that way at night. most people eat dinner between 5 and 6 but that's way too early for me because I don't go to bed until 9 or 10 so just eat later to bedtime and stay within your deficit and you should be fine
  • Isobelle40
    Options
    I remember reading a nutrition journal that stated there was no conclusive evidence to suggest eating before bed has any impact on weight loss.

I used to save up calories so I could eat at night (to have something to look forward to food wise), but have managed to curb this as I sometimes get a little heartburn as a result of eating late. Now, I have trained myself to limit night-time snacks to some fruit and a cup of tea a few hours before sleep. Apparently if you're trying to break a habit, you need to do the new habit 19 times and you will no longer feel the urge to go back to your old ways. I did that and it worked for me even though it was a bit of a struggle at first.

I must admit even though I don't lose more weight not eating much at night, I AM a lot less bloated in the morning, so i feel much slimmer as a result. This is a definite benefit of eating most of your calories in the day - in my opinion anyway.

All the best.