StrongLifts 5x5

Options
I am new to engaging in *real* weight lifting, and I'm going to get this 5x5 app after work and check it out. I have reviewed the website. For those who know loads more than me, I have some questions:

1. Is it possible to do this routine alone? The website says do not lift alone. I figure in some cases, a spotter is needed or recommended. Do I need someone else to work out with me so that I am safe? Does anyone out there do this on their own? Is it possible?

2. I know I'm being WAY overly sensitive, but I wasn't thrilled with the website directing everything toward "guys". Most of the people who've mentioned this app/system on MFP are ladies! At least there was a woman or two in the group photo on the site. Perhaps this is simply a language-based difference, as the dude's first language is not English. Regardless -- the app is for ALL, right? It should be promoted that way!! Ok, rant over.

Now, may the "lifting strong" lecturing commence!!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    1. I know several people who do it by themselves. Just start with low weight to ensure form is proper by looking in a mirror or asking someone. Keep in mind they give disclaimers to protect themselves.

2. All weight training programs are unisex, regardless of who they market to.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    1. I do this on my own, I started doing my OHP in the squat rack because its getting heavier and for safety reasons.

2. Anyone can do this program, you can customize the app to start at lower weight and also increase in smaller increments if you need to. I believe there is even a Stronglifts 5x5 group on here for women.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I did SL5x5 for 6 months last year. I did all my workouts alone. I have never had a spotter. Just be safe and use your head. If you don't feel comfortable with the lift ask for assistance.

This is program is definitely suitable for women. I have many women on my FL's that started with this program.

Good luck, this program was a huge help for me.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    1. Use a squat rack or power cage. Make sure the safety bars are set at the right height. The only thing you should probably get a spotter for is bench once you start moving up to where it's heavy for you. Ask anyone standing around at the gym who is between sets. This is normal "gym etiquette".

2. Yeah, I dislike Mendi by the program is still solid. Go here instead:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I do this on my own, on a power rack i built myself.

If you don't have a power rack, try to be safe, and not lift too heavy, until you can do so safely
  • valkaree
    valkaree Posts: 519
    Options
    Best strength building program there is IMO.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    As long as you have a power rack set up with the safety rails at an appropriate height, you're fine to do it alone.

Many, many women do this program. I did it alone and loved it.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I think you can do it alone but you'd really need a squat or power rack with appropriate safeties to do so.

In fact honestly without a squat rack if you are doing a squat with a loaded barbell and you start to lose control of it another person isn't going to be able to save you from that anyways. In either case you would want a power rack for safety.

One of these:

power-rack-get-strong.jpg

You find yourself unable to lift the bar and those safety guides are in the right place you just allow yourself to collapse and the guides will catch the bar.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    1. I know several people who do it by themselves. Just start with low weight to ensure form is proper by looking in a mirror or asking someone. Keep in mind they give disclaimers to protect themselves.

2. All weight training programs are unisex, regardless of who they market to.

^ this. Be safe and kick butt ;) Stronglifts is a great beginner program. I started off with a spotter to check my form since it was my first time ever lifting, but after that I started doing it on my own. Good luck!
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    1. Use a squat rack or power cage. Make sure the safety bars are set at the right height. The only thing you should probably get a spotter for is bench once you start moving up to where it's heavy for you. Ask anyone standing around at the gym who is between sets. This is normal "gym etiquette".

2. Yeah, I dislike Mendi by the program is still solid. Go here instead:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

THANK YOU, you are AWESOME. :-) :-) :-)
  • dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Great place for us ladies doing SL 5X5

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Great info and great ladies.

:smile:
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    2. I know I'm being WAY overly sensitive, but I wasn't thrilled with the website directing everything toward "guys". Most of the people who've mentioned this app/system on MFP are ladies! At least there was a woman or two in the group photo on the site. Perhaps this is simply a language-based difference, as the dude's first language is not English. Regardless -- the app is for ALL, right? It should be promoted that way!! Ok, rant over.

I'll give my opinion on this one from a male newbies perspective. I started "real" weight training with 5x5. While the program is great but I'd say the website is wayyyyyy to much hype. Squat 400lbs, deadlift 500lbs, and bench 300lbs in a matter of weeks!! Yeah, good luck with that. Under absolutely perfect conditions, eating like a beast, and if you're a 18 year old male. You don't get more page hits, subscribers, and app downloads by posting the "pretty good" gains made by a 35 year old obese newbie eating 2300 calories a day. I'm guessing the same is true for female stats (just being realistic).

Definitely agree with this.

The first time I saw the website I thought it looked like any number of scams: HUGE claims, lots of verbiage without much substance just hyping up how amazing it is, and at the end... Pay the low, low price of $29.99 and the actual information that's so so awesome can be YOURS TOO!

Well, it had everything except for that last part. 2 of 3 ain't bad.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    1: I have been doing SL 5x5 for almost 2 yrs now and I have always worked out alone. As some advise listen to the point of starting light. You will progress so you will be having some weight on there real quick. Also please master the squat and going parallel. There is no need to do A2G (*kitten* to Grass) but parallel to just below parallel is great. Most people do this 1/2 squat crap which they are only getting half the benefit and the squat is probably the best #1 lift for building total body strength. Be sure to get the best out of every lift. Also do not change the order of the program.... follow it just like it is written. If you feel the need to add supp work do it at the end.

2: It is for both men and women.
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Bump (Just started StrongLifts this week.)
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    1: I have been doing SL 5x5 for almost 2 yrs now and I have always worked out alone. As some advise listen to the point of starting light. You will progress so you will be having some weight on there real quick. Also please master the squat and going parallel. There is no need to do A2G (*kitten* to Grass) but parallel to just below parallel is great. Most people do this 1/2 squat crap which they are only getting half the benefit and the squat is probably the best #1 lift for building total body strength. Be sure to get the best out of every lift. Also do not change the order of the program.... follow it just like it is written. If you feel the need to add supp work do it at the end.

2: It is for both men and women.

This advice is awesome, thank you for your thoughtful comments!!
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    If you're benching alone, don't put the locking collars on. If you have an issue you could likely get one side lower then the other, which will allow the weights on that side to slide off. Then, the bar would tip the other direction and the other side would slide off.

Also check out "starting strength" by Mark Rippetoe. Rippetoe has been coaching weightlifters for thirty years. There are many similarities in the starting strength and Stronglifts and I believe stronglifts program is likely a copy of the former. Rippetoe is a well respected member of the American lifting community. He has a good book and website.

ETA: There is an article on barbell safety, including lifting alone posted recently on starting strength: http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/article/barbell_safety#.U_5bYsVdUrU
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I don't bench by myself. I also feel weird about asking for a spot, so I bench on the days my husband is at the gym. Other than that, I do everything else by myself.
  • laceynwilliams
    laceynwilliams Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    There's ways to fail safely for each exercise; just do some Googling and you'll learn how, so you can work out safely and confidently alone.
  • ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Most people do this 1/2 squat crap which they are only getting half the benefit and the squat is probably the best #1 lift for building total body strength. Be sure to get the best out of every lift.

^^Yes!!

I started this two weeks ago and I can already feel a difference! I have been concentrating on proper form, watching videos and using the mirror to make sure I am doing it correctly...especially squats! I see so many people at the gym with awful form, which I imagine can cause injury.

I have adjusted the weights so I can progress a bit more slowly than recommended, and that is working well for me. I love the simplicity and not having to remember 20 different exercises. The app is very helpful.

Thanks to those who posted the links...I am checking them out now. :)