Getting over the initial hump

Options
Hey, all! This is day 3 of the rest of my life, and while I'm doing pretty swimmingly I'm noticing that my body is not super-pumped about the huge jump in caloric intake (I don't know how many calories I used to eat daily but I suspect it was at least 3K). I'm now eating 1800 at the most, and while mentally I'm OK my body is sort of flagging/protesting and probably wondering where the heck all of its food went.

About how long does it take to get over this initial hump? Do you have any suggestions for ways to cope until my body realizes this is not a phase? :)

Thanks!

Replies

• Deathbyppt
    Options
    the hunger pangs stopped after about 2 weeks, and my only advise is to get snacks if you're dying and drink tons of water to keep your stomach from rebelling. hope this helps
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    The learning curve is different for everyone, but it's hard for most so you're not alone in that much. You can try eating more voluminous foods that are also lower in calorie like sugar free jell-o, spinach salads with a low calorie dressing, etc. You can also focus on lowering the amount of sugar and increasing the fat and protein, as I've found it helps me with keeping satisfied. Also try and get into the habit of having a large glass of water (or more) before eating anything, and wait a few minutes. Oftentimes, I can easily mistake thirst for hunger.

You can also increase the number of calories you burn in the day to give yourself extra wiggle room. Since you're just starting out, this can be something as simple as a good walk around the neighborhood with a dog. Or you can download fun walking apps like The Walk and follow the storyline to get you moving. There are tons of videos on YouTube that you can follow along for things like Zumba if you don't want to go outside. The extra calories make a huge difference.
  • pixelatedsun
    pixelatedsun Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! I've been drinking a ton of water - usually at least 12 cups a day - but my downfall always comes around 10-11 pm, right before bed, it seems! Then I just want to stuff my face with fast food! It's like a Pavlovian instinct when I watch TV.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    If you've made a lot of sudden changes, look out for the all or nothing attitude. If this is too much too soon, remember you can always go back half way and build up to a larger deficit.

Also, I like the food volume tricks too. I can eat way more strawberries for under 200 calories than I can cashews. Some days that's exactly what I do, and some days I have a snack cake instead and that, too, can fit in calories.
  • pixelatedsun
    Options
    If you've made a lot of sudden changes, look out for the all or nothing attitude. If this is too much too soon, remember you can always go back half way and build up to a larger deficit.

Also, I like the food volume tricks too. I can eat way more strawberries for under 200 calories than I can cashews. Some days that's exactly what I do, and some days I have a snack cake instead and that, too, can fit in calories.

I'm eating mostly what I used to eat, just without the fast food. :) I'm hoping that soon that craving will fade ...
  • Deathbyppt
    Options
    the late night cravings are a mental thing for me. instead of finishing my night with TV featuring all the fast food i stopped eating, i switched to reading. Sometimes i think it's just easier to remove myself from a temptation, instead of trying to resist it.
  • HelenaCavanaugh
    HelenaCavanaugh Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Chia Seeds work for me. If you are making smoothies/juicing put them in there. I put them in salads, on hummus sandwiches, anything really. The reason they are so filling is that they "expand" when they come in contact with liquid.
  • pixelatedsun
    Options
    the late night cravings are a mental thing for me. instead of finishing my night with TV featuring all the fast food i stopped eating, i switched to reading. Sometimes i think it's just easier to remove myself from a temptation, instead of trying to resist it.

This is a good idea! Thanks. :)
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the need to snack at night while watching TV, but I realized it was just that I was accustomed to doing things with my hands. I took up crotchet. I'm absolutely horrible at it, but at least I'm not eating the blanket. Maybe you can pick up something like that to do while watching TV. A new habit to go along with it instead of food.
  • leatrisgwi
    Options
    What a great way to think; "Hey, all! This is day 3 of the rest of my life, and while I'm doing pretty swimmingly "

I am going to adopt that as well, if you don't mind! New here as well. Like you mentally I am pumped, but the stomach does complain a bit and I have to eat some carrots...... We will continue - you have my support and at day three of the rest of my life we will persevere.
  • chaivind
    chaivind Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had the same cravings in the beginning (and sometimes even now). One thing I found that really helped was to drink hot tea or seltzer water. Zero calories and it gives you something to do with your hands/mouth and you also feel full.
  • pixelatedsun
    Options
    What a great way to think; "Hey, all! This is day 3 of the rest of my life, and while I'm doing pretty swimmingly "

I am going to adopt that as well, if you don't mind! New here as well. Like you mentally I am pumped, but the stomach does complain a bit and I have to eat some carrots...... We will continue - you have my support and at day three of the rest of my life we will persevere.

Thank you so much!! I'll add you, if you don't mind. I can always use new friends in a similar spot!
  • Summore
    Summore Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm getting restarted it seems as if for the 100th time and today is my day one. But the positive in the restart is the fact I took the time to do it. I have tried so many things and purchased tons of books, exercise programs, joined a gym and had a personal trainer. But when I look back over the past three years, I have come to realize that what determines my success is "ME". I have to accept those other things as tools to assist with in my plight, but not rely on them to fix the situation. I have decided that I want a new "ME" with a new attitude and with the grace of God I plan to succeed this time.
  • pixelatedsun
    Options
    I'm getting restarted it seems as if for the 100th time and today is my day one. But the positive in the restart is the fact I took the time to do it. I have tried so many things and purchased tons of books, exercise programs, joined a gym and had a personal trainer. But when I look back over the past three years, I have come to realize that what determines my success is "ME". I have to accept those other things as tools to assist with in my plight, but not rely on them to fix the situation. I have decided that I want a new "ME" with a new attitude and with the grace of God I plan to succeed this time.

You've got this. :) Congratulations on your new outlook!
  • chattyabbey
    chattyabbey Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I second the Seltzer water! It was how I stopped drinking alcohol on weeknights. Turns out, it wasn't the beer itself that I was craving - it was the carbonation and hand-to-mouth movement. This was one of the easiest (and successful) swaps I've ever made. Swapping out carrots for potato chips doesn't fool my stomach though - still working on that one.
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    It didn't take me very long. For me it was making sure I had protein at every meal and snack. I eat 3 meals and usually just 2 snacks a day. And, the water thing was hard for me. Still getting better, but that is because I decided to give up my Dt. Dew.

It's not a bad thing to eat that late, and if you must then save back 100 calories and have a snack pack of chocolate dusted almonds. (That's just something I'd like or do.) Anyway, point being allow yourself a snack. Something simple, low calorie, that will satisfy you and you won't feel deprived. If you have self control (which I'm not ready for yet) buy a bag of kisses and divide them into snack baggies...like 2 or 3 in a bag. Throw them in the fridge. Then grab a bag at night and savor. (Sorry chocolate nut here!) It could be popcorn, ice cream...whatever.

I would also make up my mind to walk off the late snack. If I wanted 1/2 cup of ice cream, I'd go walk until the Omron said I reached the 120-150 range. It made me feel better about snacking so late.

Good luck. You CAN do this.
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I found eating lots of veg both cooked and salad with my meals helps, fills plate, takes a while to munch and the fiber keeps body busy digesting it all. I also make sure i have some protien and healthy fats with each meal. This seemed to reduce my hunger and only took a few days to get past junk cravings. It took a bit longer for my energy levels to rise more. If going to have treats i tend to have them on an accompanied meal out so there are built in boundaries and stick to keeping treats as treats as in not an overly regular event.
  • pixelatedsun
    Options
    Thanks to everyone!! These are some really beneficial tips. :)
  • hscheuerman
    hscheuerman Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have been with MFP since about March and I can relate to the 11 pm cravings - my solution is very probably "politically incorrect" but here it is anyway - My all time favorite food is Dove chocolate - MFP shows it to be 44 calories for each square. I keep a bag in a drawer in a room far from my bedroom and I have one or two at bedtime (depending upon what I have previously budgeted in my daily food chart). This satisfies my mental/emotional craving since they taste great and are emotionally satisfying - they also satisfy urge for the munchies since they are so rich and creamy.

If you try something like this, be very, very honest with yourself and be sure to track EACH PIECE/BITE!!!!! I found that once I gave myself permission to indulge, I no longer felt frustrated or deprived.

Best wishes on your journey - stick with it and enjoy all the big and little milestones - its a great trip!
  • pixelatedsun
    Options
    I have been with MFP since about March and I can relate to the 11 pm cravings - my solution is very probably "politically incorrect" but here it is anyway - My all time favorite food is Dove chocolate - MFP shows it to be 44 calories for each square. I keep a bag in a drawer in a room far from my bedroom and I have one or two at bedtime (depending upon what I have previously budgeted in my daily food chart). This satisfies my mental/emotional craving since they taste great and are emotionally satisfying - they also satisfy urge for the munchies since they are so rich and creamy.

If you try something like this, be very, very honest with yourself and be sure to track EACH PIECE/BITE!!!!! I found that once I gave myself permission to indulge, I no longer felt frustrated or deprived.

Best wishes on your journey - stick with it and enjoy all the big and little milestones - its a great trip!

That sounds great! Knowing me though I'd wind up mindlessly bingeing on the entire bag!! I think for me it's less about the flavor/taste and more about the rote motion of shoveling something in my mouth over and over. I like things like goldfish for that because you get a bunch of them and it's still under 150 calories so you can FEEL like you're eating a ton when you're really not!