Wow.....

Options

Replies

• dani85pex
    Options
    Dani, now imagine you're a guy ... doing the same thing ... getting ribbed by all the other guys (especially the one with the big beer belly). In other 40 weeks, I'll be 40-75 pounds lighter. He'll just be 40 weeks older.

(Really, they don't mean anything by it. It stings but it's not their intent.)

Ok a new perspective on things. I really appreciate this....seeeee, men get it too! Well, bravo to you sir for your success thus far and :tongue: to those guys getting old!:laugh:
  • jenniart
    Options
    Yeah that sounds crappy. I had something similar happen once when a friend of mine introduced me to someone and said, "She lost so much weight... and she still eats pizza and ice cream!" Now, IN CONTEXT I told my friend that I occasionally still ate stuff like that, but tried to eat healthy most of the time. Her friend looked at me and said with a really snobby, "Yeah, we'll I'd rather be worrying about eating healthy, not losing weight." Some people are all or nothing when it comes to healthy food and fitness and you know, if you can be like that more power to you. Some of us like a little sweetener on our fruit.... or a little pizza once in a while. Give me a break!
  • jvicenty76
    jvicenty76 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My family is totally unsupportive of me, my family has always been big, unhealthy, died young, and can hardy walk at times. I never want to be that way, I want to live a long healthy life, and try my best to show and represent that to my neices and nephews, I can only hope that one day they will follow in my footsteps.
  • tshabliss
    tshabliss Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

HAHAHAHA...you get it. In the end I guess I was not expecting her to be that way but more supportive, but it's not like I NEED her to do it! I NEED me. *CHEERS*..with water to apples and peanut butter!
    [/quote]

hell yes...cheers to us and mass amounts of pb!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I think your comment was spot on. I'd be irritated too. I'm sure your snack was delicious too.
  • tr3kkie9rl
    tr3kkie9rl Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    For the record, I am now going to try exactly what you did with the apple because it sounds AMAZING and is a much better option than eating the *actual* Dutch apple pie that is sitting in my fridge at home because we didn't end up going to the friend's house for whom made it in the first place.

As far as the laugh and the comment, I understand. My husband likes to say that nothing is "over-sensitive" if it matters to you. If it affected your emotions, that is how you feel, period. That being said, sometimes you have to just let things roll off your back like water off a duck (did you know that ducks have waterproof feathers? I always wondered what that expression meant until I looked it up.) And then come let it out here! :)

Also consider, maybe someone said this already, but seeing you make healthier choices might make her feel guilty/ashamed of not making those kind of choices for herself and that can bring out some negativity in people. Take pride in the fact that you might be inspiring and helping her, even if she won't admit it at first.

edited for a typo
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    thanks for the great idea - we have apples, butter, cinnamon, sugar at work - but i never thought of putting them together

good luck with your weight loss
  • sonyahadder42
    sonyahadder42 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just spit coffee on my keyboard. Good one :laugh:
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Directly, immediately and non-aggressively is always the best way to handle theses comments IMO.

Last time a co-worker made a comment about my lunch I responded in a very conversational voice with; "do you make a habit of offering un-solicited advice to people?". I never heard a peep out of her after that, nor anyone else who was within ear shot at the time.

Most people are so busy being caught up in how your food choices affect how they feel about their food choices they don't even realize what they are doing or how it can make someone else feel.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Don't let comments bother you. Seriously. There is nothing to be gained by being oversensitive. How about not getting on the defensive & just smile. Don't say a word. Enjoy your food.

People have been commenting on my food that I take to work for a long, long time. Doesn't bother me at all. I know what I am doing & why. I don't discuss those things much; actions speak louder.

First they are curious, then they say it looks/smells good but it is too much trouble or they just couldn't do it. They admit they should but don't. I never talk about the food. You lose enough weight & look so much better, they have to respect that even if they don't let on that they do.
  • ItsMeBlue
    ItsMeBlue Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    for what it's worth...
    First..to those folks who say you are being oversensitive...It's probably because they tend to judge others like your coworker does...Secondly, You are doing what others don't have the courage to step out and do...a lifestyle change isn't a weekend visit..It's full custody of a new life. I applaud your ability to make spur of the moment decisions that are actually healthy. You could have ordered pizza...or gave in and had pie..then felt guilt over it. Your coworker most likely went back home after work and fell right back into the insanity of doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. It's ok to be a little upset at jealousy and ignorance..but far better for your health to smile at them and say " God bless you too" and walk away healthier than yesterday. Well done!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I would cut back on how much information I shared with my coworkers about my diet, health, etc. I'm not saying you were wrong to do so in the first place, but it sounds like there is an overfamiliarity there and it's causing problems for you.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    no-words-homer-into-brush.gif
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    next time
    "I like trying new things that don't' put me in the red calories wise"

<heavy pause>
    Eye ball her up and down REALLY slowly

then say
    "perhaps you should try it to"
  • julihana
    julihana Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    HAHA,,,pie in her face.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I really wonder if people are as they are being portrayed in all these sabotage, he/she said/did this to me, etc stories. Probably not. I'd bet a lot of it is just you being a bit too sensitive on the issue. We've all been guilty of it now and again, but honestly, instead of wasting so much time and energy focused on it, let it go and move on.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    homer-backsaway-chocalte.gif
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Wait, how long did you microwave the apple?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    homer-backsaway-chocalte.gif

tumblr_muiq55QvVn1s1clzao1_400.gif
  • S_Murphree
    Options
    My ex husband's new girlfriend told my 10 year old daughter that she was chunky and made remarks about my 15 year old. AND this particular girlfriend was NOT thin AT ALL.

Soooo.....

I told my son, "here's what you do. Next time all of you are sitting at the table eating, look at her and say, "are you really going to eat all of that? You've put on a little weight haven't you?!"

My son did as told and it worked. Pissed her off and she never remarked about my kid's anymore. :laugh:

There are ways of coming back with things to throw it back at people who are rude. :happy: