Trying to run but can't breath! suggestions please!

Options
So I pretty well have most of the weight off I was looking to lose, my BMI is at a Healthy range and I'm feeling pretty good, I would like to loose some more, mainly for toning purposes. I enjoy walking and running and find that running seems to be great for my core and that is my main issue right now. Issue is I find it hard to breath and I'm stumped! I don't smoke and I don't have Asthma or allergies or any other known lung issues. Even when I was a teenager and weighed even less it was an issue. I never really ran a lot and ended up playing forward in soccer and second row in rugby because running killed my lungs... I would really like to fix this! If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can manage to breath properly so I can run longer than 4 minutes at a time I would greatly appreciate it! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I had trouble with this too...I've done C25K and that really helped me build some endurance to run.

I also found this to be helpful,,,http://www.active.com/running/articles/breathing-tips-for-new-runners
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Most new runners go out too quickly. Step one: Slow Down.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options

^^this.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I love to run so I would never tell someone not to run, however, if you are looking to "tone" up I would start a weight lifting program. As far as running, I agree slow down and do C25K or a similar program.
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    thisx2
    It seems counterintuitive to run about as fast as you can walk but you'll be able to run longer if you're running slower.
    Once you're used to running for longer times you'll naturally be able to run faster for shorter distances.
    Does that make sense?
  • Shelley6591
    Shelley6591 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    So slow down and practice, sounds like good advice. I am slow though, always have been, I'm fine with that though :tongue:

I did C25K months ago plus lost lots of weight, there is where my frustration is. I can say I am better than I was, maybe I need to be more consistent. I keep taking long breaks in between running.

Thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • Shelley6591
    Options
    I love to run so I would never tell someone not to run, however, if you are looking to "tone" up I would start a weight lifting program. As far as running, I agree slow down and do C25K or a similar program.

Did C25K, I do some weigh training and completed 30DS and am half way though Body Revolution. Thinking about getting a personal trainer in the Fall. I just find running really helps with my core, I usually end up seeing a huge difference after I'm consistent, I've had 4 kids so it's my problem area, everything else is pretty well fine ;)
  • jonathandavid_t
    jonathandavid_t Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Healthy BMI and out of breath after 4 minutes of running.

Assuming you're not going for a full-out sprint, and in view of your comments about it being a longstanding issue with exercise, I'd suggest seeing a doctor as there are a handful of medical conditions that could lead to that, some of which could benefit from treatment.

DOI: kids' doctor
  • runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Its called being out of shape aerobically. If you try to run and you aren't aerobically fit it will be hard to breathe. The good news is you can overcome it with perseverance.
  • Marlitharn
    Marlitharn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My doctor diagnosed me with exercise-induced asthma and gave me an inhaler. I take a hit 15-30 minutes before my run and I've found it really helps with the chest achey wheezy thing I had going on. Now my legs start complaining long before my lungs do.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    So slow down and practice, sounds like good advice. I am slow though, always have been, I'm fine with that though :tongue:

I did C25K months ago plus lost lots of weight, there is where my frustration is. I can say I am better than I was, maybe I need to be more consistent. I keep taking long breaks in between running.

Thanks!:flowerforyou:

When you did C25K, did you have the same problem? If so, did it get better as you progressed in C25K? If the answer to both those questions is yes, then you have your answer: you have lost the aerobic conditioning that you gained from C25K. Some of that involves how your running muscles respond to the demands on them, and if you stop running, they lose that ability.

If you had the problem before, but it did not get better, it could be several things.

- You're going too fast. Can you pass the "talk test"—speak in complete sentences—during most of your run? If not, you're probably going too hard. See this post: http://sweatscience.com/the-talk-test-vs-lactate-and-ventilatory-thresholds/

- You have exercise-induced asthma, as Marlitharn mentions. It's not uncommon, especially in colder weather.

- You have some other breathing problem: reduced lung capacity, paradoxical vocal fold movement, etc.

If it's lack of conditioning, and slowing down for 50-70% of your training doesn't lead to improvement, then you should visit a doctor for a diagnosis. It's easy peasy to diagnose or rule out asthma, I'm told: if you respond to an albuterol inhaler, you have asthma; if you don't, you don't. (My wife has PVFM, and it's often mistaken for asthma, but albuterol does nothing.)

Good luck!
  • Shelley6591
    Options
    I have been like this my entire life so even when I was 5'7 and 110 pounds playing rugby daily, I couldn't breath. It never really gets any better or easier. My Mother was diagnosed with lung issues so it really made me think, there may be some sort or medical/genetic issue. Off to the doctor I go....
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I run walk it works for me and I got my last 10k done in 56:35. Checking with the doctor is always a smart idea. Good Luck

29509743.png
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Seems like something to mention to a doc after all exercise induced asthma exists.
  • FMUP
    FMUP Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    First, CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR FANTASTIC LOSS!

Now - oddly enough, I found that chewing gum while running helps tremendously with breathing! I don't recall the reason, but I read this on a beginners running site & it really seems to help. I'm a beginner & just chewing gum has increased the amount of time during my session that I can run.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

If you need to break it up into run/walk intervals. When I first started out I would walk 9 min and the run (or shuffle...) 1, after a few weeks it became 2 min, then 3 etc etc

Aim for a pace at which your breathing is relaxed and deep and you can speak in full sentences. If you're gasping for air you're going too fast (you may even have stick to just walking for a while, it's all about building up your aerobic base)
  • Shelley6591
    Options
    So I took everyone's advice! I slowed down so when I'm finding it hard it may be a little more than walking but oh well, still technically running, I am chewing gum too and it seems to be working! I was able to run over 2km yesterday nonstop which is huge for me but I do have an appointment with my doctor the weekend. Thanks!!!! :):flowerforyou: