Frustrated - my weight is bouncing around.

xp0sed
xp0sed Posts: 173 Member
edited September 23 in Motivation and Support
I'm really starting to get frustrated. A week after I started, I lost 1 pound, then a couple days later I lost another. Then 2 days after that I weigh myself and I'm up 2 pounds (grrr). It took me all week to get back down to the lowest I was, now I'm up another pound. I'm ticked off.

I have been keeping the same routine all the time - working out, eating my calories (healthy of course). What gives?

Replies

• Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Your weight naturally bounces around a bit both day to day and throughout the day, so I'd suggest defining a "weigh in" day and time and only do it once a week. If you hop on the scale to often and at different times of the day, you can end up psyching yourself out by seeing sporadic numbers.
  • xp0sed
    I've just always weighed myself first thing in the morning, every couple of days. Maybe I will do as you said though and pick one day. Thanks.
  • digby765
    digby765 Posts: 163
    A once a week only weigh in is best, hide them scales on the other 6 days, you know in your head you're doing all the right things, be kind to yourself, and look forward to the total weeks weight loss instead, let us know how you get on...
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Track your sodium..too much sodium equals water weight. On days you plan on eating a little more salt than normal, up your water intake by a glass or two more. Also, try weighing in only once a week. It will help you from seeing the constant changes due to water weight and such.
  • galvestongal
    galvestongal Posts: 186 Member
    Don't worry so much. Your weight will go up and down a lot considering factors like salt intake, hormones, and things like that that can cause water weight fluctuations. I used to get frustrated because I would lose, then weigh in a few days later and be as much as 5-10 lbs heavier! It really bothered me a lot until I started tracking my cycles and weight on a calendar and noticed that at the same time every month two weeks before my cycle I would blow up like a balloon! Then the day I started it would "fall off". I have learned to start using water pills two weeks before my cycle and it helps to keep the bloat to a minimum. Try tracking on a calendar both your weight and cycles, I am sure will notice the relationship!
  • Do you feel better? Have you noticed changes? Along with the weight loss consider other positive factors. Having a weigh in day is a good idea and having it be a week apart is good too. Also, I push it to 10 days the second and third weeks for the weigh in.

Good Luck

Patrick
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Salt, sugar, hydration level, and let's not forget HORMONES can all affect what you see on that scale. Sometimes I've seen my "weight" go up 3-4 pounds in a week - thank you PMS. Pfft. Then after the period it could drop 3-5 pounds in 4 days. Don't fret about the day-by-day shifts. If you're seeing that happen try looking at it month to month instead - and pick a time of month when your hormones aren't playing hell with ya :)
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Ditto to what everyone else has said (especially the weekly weigh-in and all that stuff about water weight), and also realize that with a goal of 13 lbs lost you're not going to see a dramatic drop in weight. The last 10 lbs are always the hardest, and you're basically there now, so don't get freaked out that you aren't seeing a big decrease and that it isn't stable.
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Also, celebrate non scale victories (nsv) like being able to wear a certain size or zip up a pair of boots over your calves or even exercising for a longer time frame. :) Don't focus so much on the scale :)
  • Don't get overly frustrated about it. i was in the same boat and still am. It will happen after you start getting close to your goal. I was very happy with my progress in the first 3 months but then when I tought I bottomed out it started to take longer reducing and it was bouncing up and down. It will start to take longer to lose it but then BAM .... you drop. Keep up your routine and you will be surprised.
  • xp0sed
    Thanks you guys!
  • wendix
    wendix Posts: 74 Member
    read this article, it really really helped me when i was feeling exactly the way you are

http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=3926473&SPShared=TRUE
  • xp0sed
    read this article, it really really helped me when i was feeling exactly the way you are

http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=3926473&SPShared=TRUE

Thank you!! That's exactly what I needed.
This discussion has been closed.