Surviving discouragement

Options
I'm 3 days away form AF and I'm up 4-5lbs. I KNOW that it's probably water weight, but that effing number gets me...I KNOW that I'm not alone here. Not only is it frustrating to see the scale go up so fast, the cravings are bad. You ladies know the drill. How do you get through this type of thing and not just toss it all aside and say eff it all. Today, I've been good but I've wanted to reach for crap and give up. I'm on my 4th week of tracking cals and working out. I have worked out every single day since I started. I just need to be talked off a ledge or someone to say that they've been through this and they did ___ to get through it. KWIM?

Replies

• Jenvan78
    Jenvan78 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    BUMP! GEEZ
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    what is AF ?

As far as being talked off the ledge..... Well I start by saying dig deep and examine your commitment and desire to lose fat, be fit, get healthy or what ever your goal may be. Find that determination that set you on your course to begin with and rededicate yourself to the cause.

now to deal with the perceived failure or whatever has you in a tissy. What are your goals ? are they realistic ? Do you feel like you know exactly what seps need to be taken to succeed ? What was your last successful step towards your goal ?

That's a start. Your turn.
  • tennisgirl444
    tennisgirl444 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I don't know what AF is either?
  • dcberlin10
    dcberlin10 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    AF = Aunt Flow, aka time of the month...

I lock my fridge and pantry for 5 days :laugh:

But seriously... I just try not to have tempting food in my house, that way when the cravings hit I have no choice but to munch on a better option or to just not eat it at all. In terms of the bloat... it happens to us all. I just use it to motivate me to go to the gym and swat out as much as I can and know that in a week i'll be back to normal. When cravings and cramps get bad I usually go on a walk, helps me take my mind off the cramps and gets my mouth further and further away from my fridge hahaha.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options

But seriously... I just try not to have tempting food in my house, that way when the cravings hit I have no choice but to munch on a better option or to just not eat it at all. In terms of the bloat... it happens to us all. I just use it to motivate me to go to the gym and swat out as much as I can and know that in a week i'll be back to normal. When cravings and cramps get bad I usually go on a walk, helps me take my mind off the cramps and gets my mouth further and further away from my fridge hahaha.

AF = new one for me, and quicker than typing TOM (LOL!!)

Honestly, my weight does weird things around TOM/AF too. I just ignore it. I plotted all my daily weight measurements into a spreadsheet, and then built a chart which shows when TOM starts. I love data ;-) It was incredibly insightful, and basically means I keep logging my weight daily, stick with my calorie target and exercise, but don't worry what the scales do for one week either side of TOM. No worries, no panic, it's just my body doing its thing.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    I am a 43 year old female and it took me the longest to figure out what the heck TOM meant and AF is a new one for me today.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    The one and only thing I ever crave is a candy bar and I usually give in, enjoy every bite and I move on.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Mine started today (seriously, it sucks so hard) and I am up about a lb and a half, and not cause I ate over maintenance :P I actually have an appointment with my Gynecologist tomorrow to discuss endometrial ablation, it's so friggin' bad (not the weight, the actual process)
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

AF = new one for me, and quicker than typing TOM (LOL!!)

Honestly, my weight does weird things around TOM/AF too. I just ignore it. I plotted all my daily weight measurements into a spreadsheet, and then built a chart which shows when TOM starts. I love data ;-) It was incredibly insightful, and basically means I keep logging my weight daily, stick with my calorie target and exercise, but don't worry what the scales do for one week either side of TOM. No worries, no panic, it's just my body doing its thing.

Sounds like a sensible solution to a frustrating problem. a +/- 5 lbs variation would drive me nuts. ( no pun intended )
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I am a 43 year old female and it took me the longest to figure out what the heck TOM meant and AF is a new one for me today.
    I'm a 45 year old female and I've never heard of this AF. WTF?? laughsss