500-700 Calories Weight loss

Options
For the past two weeks (nearly) I have been eating on average about 500-700 Calories plus exercising. Ive been off my food for sometime and I am continuing this cycle which I dont think is healthy at all. I was just thinking if I continue at this rate do you think I will lose weight? I am gonna try up my calorie intake as I think it might be a faster process...I have a wedding and a night out in a month which is worrying as I want to feel nice for it!

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    People who eat 500-700 calories and are not EXTREMELY hungry are generally miscounting calories. You should be feverishly hungry. If you continue to eat that few calories I would seriously consider seeking medical attention as those are basically eating disorder levels of intake. It is not safe and or healthy to eat that little especially if you are exercising. Again, unless you are VERY HUNGRY you may be miscounting calories.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi girl!
    You won't have to worry about 'looking nice' at the upcoming events. If you continue to eat like that, honestly, you will most likely feel and look rather crappy.... Go buy a dress that fits well, and enjoy yourself. Take care of your health and weight loss at a moderate pace, and set a goal that you'll be able to sustain as a lifestyle, and not as a deadline!

Just my opinion! Stay healthy!
  • dcberlin10
    dcberlin10 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Not sure why you're only eating 500-700 calories because you're 5'7 and only 122lbs, pretty darn good if ya ask me... Anyways it's quite simple. If you are starvingggg each day while consuming this little amount, eat more, problem solved, you will still lose weight as long as you remain at a deficit. If you are not starving, and you simply have a loss of appetite, please seek medical help before any more harm is done. Best of luck!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to lose weight? I'm 5'7" and I know that's at the low end of the healthy range.

If it's for an event, just pick something to wear that's flattering for your body, and you'll be good. No need to take drastic measures.
  • horseswinelife
    horseswinelife Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to lose weight? I'm 5'7" and I know that's at the low end of the healthy range.

If it's for an event, just pick something to wear that's flattering for your body, and you'll be good. No need to take drastic measures.

^^^
    Ditto!
  • mylovelyremedy
    Options
    Why eat 500-700 calories when you can be eating about 1450 and have the same effect?

Eating that little of calories is going to make you tired, hungry, grouchy, and overall turns into a disaster.

I guarantee it won't make you happy.

And I'm a recovering ED teenager, just take my advice. (:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If you're eating that little, you will be losing weight, and rapidly. Guaranteed. Those are literally concentration camp rations.

If you aren't losing weight rapidly, you're eating more than you think.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Unless there is something wrong with you, you'll lose massive amounts of weight. A friend of mine who doesn't live nearby came for a visit and was so upset that I was the thinner...well, less fat...friend now that she began eating 500-700 calories a day. Not because that's what her diet worked out to, either, lol. Those were self-imposed limits, lol. Dropped almost 30 pounds. Then she gave it up, gained 12 back, saw me again (even less fat) and went back to it.

She gave it up because she was getting dizzy and couldn't concentrate at work, lol. She will give it up again.

Whatever your goofball reason for thinking you must lose tons of weight RIGHT NOW, it's silly. You can lose the same amout if you give it a little more time and eat a bit more. Unless you have a medical issue, you don't have to go that low to lose.

If you do have to go that low, for sure visit the doctor. Something is up.

If you kept it up indefinitely, you would be underweight and have health problems just like fat people. Maybe different problems, but there are health problems on both ends of that line. I don't expect you'd keep it up too long unless you are anorexic, though. The side effects will stop you.

If you feel compelled to keep it up, I wish you well. It really isn't necessary, though.
  • pj27559
    pj27559 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It may interest you to know that according to the NHS Choices website a girl of 7 years old should consume around 1530 calories a day.

If your diary entries are accurate you should immediately seek qualified medical help as you are at very genuine risk of causing yourself serious damage.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Going to put this link out here in case anyone needs it..

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1575987-eating-disorder-resources
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hi girl!
    You won't have to worry about 'looking nice' at the upcoming events. If you continue to eat like that, honestly, you will most likely feel and look rather crappy.... Go buy a dress that fits well, and enjoy yourself. Take care of your health and weight loss at a moderate pace, and set a goal that you'll be able to sustain as a lifestyle, and not as a deadline!

Just my opinion! Stay healthy!

This!^

MFP's lowest DEFUALT minimum is 1200. But you have a deadline.....so muscle + fat loss it is. Eating enough to support your lungs, kidneys, heart, hair, skin, nails....and oh yeah....existing muscle takes more than 500 calories.

Look up skinny-fat.....not a good look. Lean muscle helps give your body shape
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If you're really that height and weight, working out and living on 700 calories or less a day, you need much more help than the people here can give you. I'm not being ugly, but you need to seek professional help before your health is permanently ruined. Much luck to you
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    For the past two weeks (nearly) I have been eating on average about 500-700 Calories plus exercising. Ive been off my food for sometime and I am continuing this cycle which I dont think is healthy at all. I was just thinking if I continue at this rate do you think I will lose weight? I am gonna try up my calorie intake as I think it might be a faster process...I have a wedding and a night out in a month which is worrying as I want to feel nice for it!

No, it is not healthy. I just did the calculations for your weight, since I am from across the pond. You are 5' 7" and according to your own information you weigh 122 lbs (8 stone and 10 pounds). Seeing your pictures confirms this. That is a very good weight for someone of your height and you shouldn't have any fat to lose. If you feel you have fat to lose maybe what you want to look into is body re composition. It is a combination of a healthy diet and weight lifting. I know people on here, woman around your age, that are shorter than you, and they are eating 1800 to 2000 calories a day and still losing weight or inches. They are turning what little fat they may have to lose into lean muscle mass and toning.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Keep it up and along with the weight you may lose hair, muscle, nail strength and your skin won't be looking so good.
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hi Tammy.

You look very slim - sorry if I offend, but why do you want to lose any weight? Please take care as you will waste off heart muscle if you eat that little. Please try to eat more would be my advice. I have been on severe starvation diets in the distant past and look at me now - I'm heavy. It is not the answer.
  • mylovelyremedy
    Options
    Keep it up and along with the weight you may lose hair, muscle, nail strength and your skin won't be looking so good.

Plus the acne, random bruises everywhere, and lanugo.
    .... gross! /:
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    When you don't consume enough calories for the energy your body needs to perform its basic functions and whatever movement you put it through in a day, it breaks down fat and muscle for that energy. You know what's a muscle?

Your heart.

You can permanently damage your heart if you don't eat enough calories to function.

Also, the most common side effect of a very low calorie diet is gallstones. They hurt as much as kidney stones or child birth. It literally feels like being stabbed with an ice pick just below the ribs, repeatedly, for hours at a time. The only cure is removal of the gallbladder, and the most common side effect of that is a sense of sudden urgency to poop immediately after eating. Possibly for the rest of your life.

It could be years before you feel the result of the damage you do to your body when you eat this way. Please don't put yourself in that position.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Keep on this track and you won't be feeling nice for any of that stuff you want to attend. You might not even be able to attend them due to being in the hospital for malnutrition. Good luck with that. :noway:
This discussion has been closed.