What number on the scale should I log?

Options
I know, I know.. The subject question itself makes me sound pretty stupid. But here's the deal... I weighed yesterday (252) and although I know I shouldn't weigh daily I weighed today as well (247) weight has just been falling off.. But this difference just seems almost unbelievable.. Should I use today's weight or stick with yesterday for my progress log?

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Weighing daily is fine and in fact I recommend people do it, BUT (and this is a big BUT), you do NOT pay attention to the day to day changes. Weigh daily right after you wake up after you pee, record those weights in a log. After 7 days, take an average. After a month compare the averages. This will show your actual progress. The problem with weekly weigh ins is if you happen to weigh in on a day where water retention is usually high or low due to sodium or glycogen or any of a million things, you don't have to freak about the massive shift in weight. The averages will account for the high days and the lows days and give you an idea of what you really weigh. After a month goes by, your averages should go in the downward direction.
  • Kaylabaila
    Kaylabaila Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you that is a lot of help.. I've never heard that before. Thanks again
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i weigh daily, and only record every time i hit a new lowest number.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I agree with Vismal. I take the weekly average for my weight. I go up as much as 5 lbs from morning to night and 3 lbs ish from one day to the next (especially the day after lifting)
  • krismas444
    Options
    I weigh daily but don't change the log unless the weight has stayed the same for more than 3 days. My scale is cheap and the weight will sometimes go up and down within that time. So I wait until I see consistency.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...I know I shouldn't weigh daily I weighed today as well...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with weighing and logging daily.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I record the first morning weight every day. I don't flip out if it goes up or get too excited when it goes down.

But the first 30-40 pounds, I never weighed myself at all.

Some people like a weekly number. Everyone is different.

Do what you want. It's your weight loss journey! :)
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Me, I weigh daily, but I only record weekly. Trying to go for the same time at the doc's office. I even wear the same outfit.