Stretched Out & Stressed Out...a home for stress eaters

Options
We all have put on the pounds and struggle to take them off for different reasons and I think when we all do a little soul searching we find our real obstacles to weight loss. For some it's boredom, loneliness, lack of self-esteem, for others it's love of food or lack of self-control (I think that may be all of us) and a host of other reasons, but for me it's STRESS.

I am a 44 year old married, mother of 2 that works full-time as a family practice doctor in the city of Detroit with my father. I am very motivated when I am happy and things in my life are going well...my kids aren't killing each other...my husband isn't acting like one of them...my father isn't treating me like one of them...my patients aren't acting like my kids (not all, just some)...you get what I'm saying.

Lately...much of the opposite is true and I have found myself back to my old ways of baking cookies and bread instead of getting on the treadmill, being too tired to cook dinner but not too tired to go out of my way to hit the grocery store for junk food (my kids know I've had a bad day at the office when I come home with peanut butter captain crunch and a gallon of milk :))...ever been there?

It's been proven that stress starves our bodies of the "feel good" chemicals (endorphins) we need and that things like carbs give us that burst of serotonin that make us feel good for a little while only to leave us feeling more tired and disappointed in ourselves for "blowing it."

I'm tired of blowing it! I know exactly what I'm supposed to do...I council and teach people everyday about what to do, but I don't do it for myself. I need to find ways to manage my stress...I pray everyday that my patients won't be sick and will overcome horrible hardships and illness...I pray that my younger sister will beat her breast cancer as I sit by unable to "fix" it...I pray everyday for a 36 hour day so I can fit everything in and still have time for me...some prayers get answered, some don't.

So how to deal with it? This! I think there are a lot of people out there who can relate to what I'm saying...I don't need a diet coach (and MFP does a great job!)...I need a psychiatrist, I just don't know any that work at 3 am when I'm up, stressed and looking for comfort, aka food. If your interested in sharing your stress, willing to "listen" to others stresses and offer some comfort, words of wisdom and maybe even some solutions I'd love to take this journey together!

Wishing you a happy, stress free day! Annemarie

Replies

• Kara78155
    Options
    WOW- you said it girl. That's all that left, you said it all.......
    Kara
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I have been reading a lot about this lately. All my fat is in my midsection which is the worst as a health risk and related to cortisol. I am for the first time in my life that exercise is a stress reducer. Before it was always something I did because I knew it was something I should do, not necessarily something i want to do.

It is hard to eliminate stress - but we all have to try to manage it so it doesn't get the better of us!
  • ampdo
    ampdo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Stress is huge and hinders weight loss...you're absolutely right! I'm trying to manage it and it's hard....and lurking around every corner. Just got off the treadmill and was feeling good when my 13 year old had to pick a fight with me because I wouldn't let him play his Xbox until I proof read his history paper that is due tomorrow. I wish we could bypass adolescence...at least some parts of it! He's now in his room and I am looking at the cookies my daughter and I made this morning...I haven't had any :). i picked up a banana instead and started typing! Thanks for listening...now I don't want the cookie :) am
  • RedSoxHouse
    RedSoxHouse Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! I'm brand new to this site and have been poking around looking for a support group that may help with my weight loss journey...I think this may be the one! I'm a 37 year old Mom to two boys (5 1/2 & nearly 3). I work full time and most of the time would describe me as stretched out and stressed out!! I wish some days that the day had 36 hours just so I could try to fit it all in and when I'm stressed out come the snacks! People say over & over "you need to take the time for yourself and work out" but that's easier said than done when there are already not enough hours in the day.

Today was Sunday, no work...at least I got in a run on the treadmill :wink: Not sure what tomorrow will bring!!
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    I've been here on MFP for around 4 weeks now (started 2 days after Christmas) and I have wonderful friends from all walks/stages of life. I do fit into this group as well, though.

I am the single mom of two boys. My oldest is married, in the Army, about 900 miles away, and has just given me my first grandson. Haven't seen him yet - I'll see him (and spoil him rotten) next month. My stress comes from the fact that I can't just up and go see them when I want -- I really have to budget a trip across town, let alone halfway across the country.

My youngest is 14 and is at home with me. He is the coolest person I know. The stress comes from being a single parent. It comes from knowing I'm in this alone....his dad hasn't seen him in 5 years and isn't showing any interest in doing so anytime soon. It comes from knowing that there is absolutely no way I can be both Mother and Father....all I can do is be the best mom I can be and let the rest sort itself out later.

I have a job that I love. It comes from not earning very much money (just a hair over minimum wage) and having to balance it to make sure my son has everything he needs. It comes from working anywhere from 40 to 70 hours a week. I juggle every single month. I borrow from Peter to pay Paul - skip one bill to pay another this month and then vice versa next month. I have to decide at the store what I can actually afford, while still trying to buy healthy foods. And it's hard sometimes - the cheaper stuff that gives you more bang for the buck also puts more fat around your vital organs and more "junk" in your system. It also comes from looking at my son and thinking to myself "Somehow, somewhere, I'm going to have to find a little bit of "extra" money to buy this kid another couple pair of jeans...he's getting too tall, too fast for the ones he's wearing."

I'm stressed out. But, I'm lucky, too. I have two great kids. And I have access to a treadmill where I live. :smile: