No Energy :(

Options
Did anyome else struggle with energy and motivation when you first started? My biggest weakness is soda and I havent had one in a week. I cant beat off this tired sluggish feeling amd I just cant find the motivatiom to begin exercising :( how did y'all overcome this?

Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    For me, I found the healthier I ate, the more energized I was. Also, working out (even on days I did not feel like it) energized me. When I first started, I would just walk. Even if it was around the block once or twice.

Make a goal to do an exercise for 10 mins at least and if you are still not up for it, then you can stop. Once you get started, usually you are good to go. I often say "The Hardest Part About Getting To The Gym, Is Getting To The Gym".
  • langel89
    langel89 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same difficulty! I'm working out and eating healthier than before so I don't know why my energy isn't better than it use to be. Feeling tired all the time since starting this 2 weeks ago. I just push on and workout though, which gives me more energy when I'm done. If you want it, you'll do it. You might have more energy than you think you do. Mind over matter.

I also gave up the soda.. diet coke addict... GOOD LUCK!
  • mgleason01
    mgleason01 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Yes. I struggled with the no energy. I convinced my sister n law to workout with me in the morning. She only stuck around 3 weeks but long enough that I was able to keep going on my on.

Start slow and slowly build - you won't regret it. Once I started working out, I got that extra boost I needed to keep going. I started to see inches fall off.

For help with your energy, look up Vitamin B12. I took that when I first started working out and once you get going, your energy level will increase,
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i read somewhere that an apple has the same amount of energy as a can of soda. so i replaced my regular 3pm soda with an apple. doing great.

also, i drink a lot of coffee.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Part of that is likely the caffeine withdrawal. And the shock that your body is not getting the amount of sugar it once was.

Several years ago, I managed to lose 20 pounds by doing nothing more than quitting soda. I didn't do anything else.

That sluggish feeling will eventually go away. Just go for a walk every day. Build up from there. Just be patient. It takes time.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    The only time it has been an issue is when under-eating and/or overtraining. I use TDEE method, not MFP, as MFP is likely to result in undereating as most don't eat back exercise cals (if they log exercise) or choose sedentary when they are really lightly active, or choose 2lbs a week instead of 1lb a week.
  • seamandi
    seamandi Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    What are you eating for breakfast? Of course breakfast is the most important meal of the day and all that, but what you eat can really affect your energy. I cut my last bad habit, energy drinks, out 3 weeks ago and started eating fruit only for breakfast, and lots of it. My energy levels are better than ever! I sleep so great and get up every morning before my alarm. If you've been a long time soda drinker, you're probably going through dual withdrawal from the caffeine and sugar. Good luck!!!
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    Coffee coffee coffee

I drink it black but you can certainly add a very small amount of cream or some zero calorie sugar if you prefer.
    Don't oversleep as well. I always find my optimal sleep window to be anywhere from 6 1/2 - 8 hours max usually around 7 though. I tend to feel groggy if I sleep more than 7 1/2. Just an idea
  • mark_samuel
    Options
    Thanks guys. Im thinking it may seriously be the soda withdrawels....I would easily drink 4-5 44oz sodas a day. It was my go to stress relief. Im eating about 2k calories a day...im not hungry...I jist feel so drained., anyway to get through the withdrawels faster :( this is miserable
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Giving up the soda is probably the best thing you've ever done for your health. It's only natural that it would be a struggle, but hang in there. All you need is time to win this battle.

Are you getting enough water? If you could drink all that soda, try replacing it with water. Perk it up with lemon or something if you need to, but dehydration is very draining, too. Drink more water! :-)
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough water and protein in! You can do this! :)
  • LivyMarie93
    LivyMarie93 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Yeah. But once I pushed myself to start working out I got into the routine. Now I just work out as soon as I wake up to get it over with. Just make sure you get a lot of rest.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    have you also cut your calories? if so, you might be cutting them too low. i dropped to under half my long-term daily calorie intake and felt pretty crappy and weak for a while. ultimately i added some daily calories back, felt a little better and adjusted. i found i felt much more energetic when i started taking daily walks, and a slept better, too.
  • damman45631
    Options
    Just keep at it! All you got to do is one day...just what is in front of you now....not next week.

I drink diet dr pepper, the small plastic bottle ones about 3 a day.

And yes I have had times of low energy too, and some too much....jittery kinda.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I would say wait until you start to come off the soda cravings before you start to exercise. Honestly, if you were drinking 4-5 of those a day - you'll lose quite a bit of weight just ditching the soda alone. And all that soda is terrible for your teeth and bones as well.
  • livingforjesus90
    Options
    I loved soda before I started my diet. But I always asked myself: which is more important? Looking good and fit for the rest of m life? Or drinking soda for 10 minutes? This helped me tho: I drink coffee now with No cream! Only a small cup will do your day. And make sure you get a lot of protein in ur meals! Good luck :)
  • Jetta_C
    Jetta_C Posts: 58
    Options
    Make sure you are drinking enough water! Sometimes when we give up our favorite beverage we forget to replace to liquid!
  • lovebig30
    lovebig30 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    more water most people don't drink enough, healthy foods spread out though out the day and just a few min of exercise a day can really help the energy levels.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Im thinking it may seriously be the soda withdrawels....I would easily drink 4-5 44oz sodas a day. It was my go to stress relief. Im eating about 2k calories a day...im not hungry...I jist feel so drained., anyway to get through the withdrawels faster :( this is miserable

What liquid are you drinking now to replace the 176+ ounces of soda? That is a LOT of fluid you were drinking and perhaps you are now getting mildly dehydrated?

Have you thought about maybe drinking cold tea? You could use a sugar substitute for a bit of sweetness and you'll get some of the caffeine you're missing.

Good luck.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    To kick my Dr. pepper habit I bought a bunch of different flavors of Mio and a few of the Mio Energy that contain caffeine to flavor water. It made a big difference because I had something cold and with a taste, now because of the cost I am trying to wean myself off of the Mio! Just beware if you get the Mio energy do not drink it later in the day or you will be up late at night. It kept me up until 4 in the morning the first few days I drank because I had cut out most of my caffeine consumption and I was drinking it before bedtime. I felt pretty crappy when I first broke my habit months ago, but the feeling eventually gave away and I have more energy now.

Also, I have found that when I really don't feel like working out if I at least go for a walk or ride on my bike for a little while I feel better and more energized and sometimes I will push myself farther than I thought I could do for that day.