heart rate monitors

Options
if you use a heart rate monitor, what kind do you use? any recommendations?

Replies

• Canaday
    Canaday Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Polar. I like that it shows duration of exercise, time in zone (you set your own zone), calories burned, and min/max heart rate. Has a band to go around your chest, which I wasn't sure about at first. The band is really comfortable and no big deal at all. I forget I have it on even after exercising.
  • dspearsb
    dspearsb Posts: 186
    Options
    I have a New Balance HRT Fit model. It was about $50 at Target. It's ok a little complicated to input info. i hear the Timex brand is better.
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I also have the Polar (FT4, to be specific). I really like it, and I don't notice the strap at all when I'm exercising. It is really nice to get some more specific results to calories burned rather than rely on averages (that apparently have not been nearly as accurate for me as I would have liked).
  • Sammyk50
    Sammyk50 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hey, just wondering do you wear your hrm all day or just during excercise? Will it track calories burned just for daily activity? Thx :)
  • keta6atl
    Options
    I have a suunto ...and have had a polar in the past...actually several......both worked exactly as they should and I never had a problem with either...each time I purchased one with more options than I needed (go figure). I wouldn't have a problem with buying any of the new hr monitors...even timex....good luck!
  • jpmajors
    Options
    Yes the Polar is really the standard and syncs with most of the cardio exercise equipment. Just a warning from my experience. Do not get one where you can touch the watch with a finger to check you HR. Mine would start to think I was touching it when I get real sweaty. May be a way to turn that function off but......
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Polar here too. I use to have the F7 and I am awaiting the arrival of my FT4!
  • jlsironen
    jlsironen Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Polar for me! I wear it throughout the day as well, you'd be amazed at how many calories you burn during daily activities! I also like that if you change the battery it still retains all your information :)
    Strap is comfy and washable (always important!) and stays in place. Display is easy to read on the watch and you don't have to have it on your body, if I'm doing a machine like elliptical I hang it on the machine so I can monitor my zone.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice! i was looking at Polar, and it seems to be what a lot of people prefer!
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Hey, just wondering do you wear your hrm all day or just during excercise? Will it track calories burned just for daily activity? Thx :)

I have heard that it's not very accurate except for cardio. Where your heart is pumping faster the whole time, as opposed to something like weight lifting where you are working on stregnth.

I got the Polar 7 because it was on the cheap end of "good" but if the battery wore out I didn't have to buy a whole new piece of something, and I can just change the battery parts. I like low maintence cost!
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Suunto & Polar are the more respected brands in HRMs. I have a Polar FT7 and absolutely love it. :)