Calculating servings on soup

Options
Does anyone have suggestions for how to calculate how many servings a batch of soup makes. I made a large amount of vegetable soup today, but not sure how to estimate how many it serves when putting the recipe into my recipes. Thanks!

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Best method I have found with any recipe, soup included, is to portion out the whole thing into individual containers of the size you plan to eat. However many containers I end up with, that's the number of servings I enter into the recipe calculator. I freeze some and put enough in the fridge that I plan to eat in a couple of days.
  • auntiecorri
    Options
    I make lots of soups, stews, and chili. I use one of two methods to calculate the number of servings...1. I have actually poured/measured out the soup into another container(s)--messy and time consuming! or 2. I know how many quarts my stock pot holds; one is 8 quarts, the other is 10 quarts. I eyeball how full the pot is---say one half full on the 8 quart pot, would be 4 quarts. One quart equals 4 cups, therefore 16 cups for the half pot of soup.
  • GardeningZombie
    GardeningZombie Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what everyone else has said. If you want to make sure things are more detailed, then weigh the whole container of soup (excluding the vessel weight) and measure out 1 cup and measure that amount of weight.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I make lots of soups, stews, and chili. I use one of two methods to calculate the number of servings...1. I have actually poured/measured out the soup into another container(s)--messy and time consuming! or 2. I know how many quarts my stock pot holds; one is 8 quarts, the other is 10 quarts. I eyeball how full the pot is---say one half full on the 8 quart pot, would be 4 quarts. One quart equals 4 cups, therefore 16 cups for the half pot of soup.

Same here
  • keithmustloseweight
    Options
    Decide how many servings you want it to be, then portion it out in containers
  • wildcatsarahj
    Options
    Thank you!
  • kayang
    kayang Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I made a taco soup and added all the ingredients into the the recipe section of myfitnesspal... so I said 12 servings so I know how much calories are in one serving but questions is one serving 1 cup or how do I measure it...:noway: